DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

Tyrone Weems? Now we know what Ron Swanson was doing in the 90s.  Gets too deep into the game, has to change his name, moves to Pawnee and becomes a Libertarian city councillor. With the odd relapse.

tumblr_ld8sfnwkLq1qa4urao1_500.png

Damn I hope I'm the 1st person on the internet to make that comparison. I am assuming not.

That was a fantastic hour of television.

The only thing that went wrong with the last six minutes was some of the fighting. They say they made a fighting style for Cohle and I thought "kung-fu death touch?" 

Gun-Fu? I only watched The Scene once but I seem to remember he took out 2-3 guys with a gun punch to the external occipital protuberance. Gorilla would've been proud.

This show continues to impress!. Really in the mystery now that we have started jumping around in time more. Equally interested in Rust's off the grid years and his next move post-interrogation. What a beautifully constructed story.

I can't believe there are only 3 episodes left.  It's insane that this show just came down the pipe fully-formed.  It sort of had to, really.  No time to find itself along the way like Breaking Bad and the 8 episode structure leaves very little time for the world-building normally required for a prestige drama (a point lost on some critics it seems). This show just sort of scoffs at all that stuff.

World building just kinda gets strung along for the ride like everything else with this show.  It's simultaneously very methodical and balls-to-the-wall, unlike any other show I could point to.  At 8 hours, is this more mini-series than series?  How do you define that, and would subsequent seasons chance that opinion?

Ok, so after this last episode (and with the naked drawings and the crime scene tableau in previous episodes), it's starting to look like Marty's hypersexual daughter was probably abused around the '95 time frame.  Anyways, I'm starting to think whoever abused her also has a connection to the Yellow King.  The shitty grandfather perhaps?  Marty going on about inattention and the answer being "right under my nose."

And then this just popped up on Reddit! 

2sb049j.jpg