DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

The Tudors was great. People can complain about it being too melodrmatic or soap opera-ish, but, hello, it was based on actual history. Henry VIII actually did have six wives and hacked off two of their heads. It's hard to show that and not be melodramatic or over-the-top.   

The Tudors was great. People can complain about it being too melodrmatic or soap opera-ish, but, hello, it was based on actual history. Henry VIII actually did have six wives and hacked off two of their heads. It's hard to show that and not be melodramatic or over-the-top.   

I mean yeah if you believe everything you see on TMZ and Perez Hilton. It was schlock. And not entertaining like Spartacus.

Best show on TV in ages. It's like Thomas Ligotti writing The Wire. BTW: For those who want to delve into inspirations for this show, read some Karl Edward Wagner (particularly "Sticks"), Laird Barron, and of course, Ligotti... Much of the nihilistic stuff spouted by the McConaughey character is straight out of Ligotti. What a great show, makes David Goodis, Cornell Woolrich and Jim Thompson seem like cockeyed optimists.

I'm going to have to watch this now - you sold me with "Ligotti writing The Wire".

I thought the Tudors was pretty terrible.

You would have.

I'd love to know how you think the Tudors is in anyway comparable to True Detective, Fools and Jonathan Creek.

I thought the Tudors was an excellent period piece, which covered a guy that was pretty much turned into a caricature by history in as even-handed a manner as possible. You had a great cast, excellent writing and for the most part pretty accurate historical data. I'm not saying it was the greatest thing ever, but we enjoyed it as much as Rome and bought the dvds and rewatch the whole series from time to time. Not something that we do very often. I've already said that I never saw Jonathan Creek or Fools, but Spartacus didn't look like anything better than a Rome ripoff, so I didn't bother with it.

Best show on TV in ages. It's like Thomas Ligotti writing The Wire. BTW: For those who want to delve into inspirations for this show, read some Karl Edward Wagner (particularly "Sticks"), Laird Barron, and of course, Ligotti... Much of the nihilistic stuff spouted by the McConaughey character is straight out of Ligotti. What a great show, makes David Goodis, Cornell Woolrich and Jim Thompson seem like cockeyed optimists.

I'm going to have to watch this now - you sold me with "Ligotti writing The Wire".

I'd love to know what your impression is. The writer was interviewed in the Wall Street Journal of all places and gave props to Wagner, Ligotti, and my buddy , Laird Barron. There's also a bit of a Caitlin Kiernan / Elizabeth Massie Southern Gothic vibe going on too. Watched the first three episodes again last night just to make sure that I hadn't missed any nuances. Great, great television.

Spartacus is absolutely nothing like Rome and you should give it a few episodes.

As much as we argue, I will take the suggestion since we're getting Starz for free right now. I may as well ask, is Black Sails worthwhile?

• Like 1

The only downside to this episode is that it gave us a glimpse of the much better show that we're not watching. I mean, this is a good show and all, but based on this episode, I think I would much rather follow McConaughey's exploits as a deep cover narc.

THE RUST COHLE POWER HOUR

That was some chaotic stuff. Loved the slight camera shifts in the direction Rust was looking. It's interesting that he almost lost his cool over the drugs, but was completely calm when it all went to shit.

Also, it was very interesting that their stories still match up even though there was a falling out at some point. Neither is talking about Rust's "sick" father.

How badass was that final 10 minutes!?

In the words of Chief Deputy Marshall Art Mullen:

"Now that is some BAD ASS shit!"

Another observation re: Hart vs. Cohle.  Both are "screw the rules" cops, but for Hart the rules are screwed so he can do and get whatever HE wants, while Cohle's rule-screwing is in the name of solving the case.

• Like 1

Which brings the moral quandary of Cohle doing anything to solve the case.

People just got shot and killed because he wants to find one guy. Obviously this is why the detectives are looking back over the case, and at this point they have to be IA guys. Both guys might be more meant for each other as partners than we think... one makes horrible personal choices and burns his bridges, the other makes horrible choices as concerns the job and does the same.

Not to say that shit wasn't badass, because it was. Watched the damn thing twice.

What a beautiful show. It's not perfect, hard to buy how far Rust went for the chance to track down a dude that's killed maybe 2 people. I guess we aren't supposed to care cause the people killed were gangbangers and outlaws?

I loved the night time shot of Hart trailing that girl to the rave. Rust was just super cool this episode, walking out of the diner on Harts wife the moment she started talking shit. How he handled Hart after picking him up from the hospital.

I think I'm gonna pick up the novel Galveston by Nic Pizzolatto and see if his writing is as good there.

Rust was just super cool this episode, walking out of the diner on Harts wife the moment she started talking shit.

That was some serious "hang up the phone" shit there. He was just absolutely having none of it. 

The only thing that went wrong with the last six minutes was some of the fighting. They say they made a fighting style for Cohle and I thought "kung-fu death touch?"