DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

Shea Whigham as Bray Wyatt was tremendous. 

I was thinking before the show that there are one or two Southern actors who could be added to the show that could possibly make it bigger, then saw Shea Wigham and went "Yup, that's one!"  Was actually watching this one with my parents and when we took a mid-show break, my dad called me 'Burt' and I didn't think much of it, then went "Hey, wait, that was the mentally challenged guy with no testicles who pooped himself!?"  My dad's not very nice to me.

• Like 1

Also, I want to shoot Hart in the face for that shite excuse to Maggie (who is horribly flawed in her own way for accepting it) and then using it as an excuse for sex and acceptance. 100% against this fucker now, he's not just flawed, he's scum. Everyone in this show is flawed -- the entire show is really pessimistic period -- but that really makes me mad.

I think the first few episodes were setting up that Cohle was a lunatic who is out of control and dangerous, but he is the exact opposite.  He is 100% in control, he knows who he is and thinks almost everything out before he acts.  Hart on the other hand is a raving lunatic, who is almost completely impulsive.  He came off as such a simp in all of his relationships.  His wife knows he is up to no good, Cohle knows he's unstable, and his side chick has had enough of him.  The whole conversation where Hart tried to make a point about why they are different, and Cohle shutting him down with "Yeah, I know the difference, Denial," told the entire story of the show so far.  Cohle may be crazy, but he knows he's crazy and uses his knowledge of his crazy to his advantage.  Hart is insane, and doesn't know it, and his inabilty to recognize his insanity is going to be his downfall.  He simply can't see that he is far worse off than Cohle.  His fixation on family, despite the fact that he openly disrespects his family, just shows that he can't see his forest for the trees.

• Like 6

Not to bum everyone out but there isn't new episode this week.

I wonder why...

Wow this is the most detached I've ever been from football. I blame 3 straight last place fantasy seasons. Oh well it's repeats of Girls and Looking for this dudebro!

• Like 1

I assume they are holding off on True Detective as there's only 8 episodes and they want to stretch them out.

Or maybe its the Superbowl.

I meant the reason they didn't move the new episode to Saturday this week (Like they did with Girls and Looking) because of the Superbowl. Might as well get more weeks out of it, Girls and Looking I assume have the standard HBO 12 episode seasons while this show is only 8 eps.

I've grown so impressed with Matthew McConaughey in recent years I've actually learned to spell his name. Back when he was in those terrible comedies with Kate Hudson he was simply Matthew McConaheyyyyyy to me.

His role in Reign of Fire did lead to a great rifftrax line ("Why are whispering?").

There should be a rule. If you do a movie or television show even remotely close to southern gothic, you have to cast Matthew McConaughey in at least a major supporting role. He can play a serious guy like in True Detective, but also have the demeanor of a middle age man from Alabama who has to go pick up his underaged girlfriend from school so she can cash her Krystal's check at a Piggly Wiggly.

• Like 1

I've grown so impressed with Matthew McConaughey in recent years I've actually learned to spell his name. Back when he was in those terrible comedies with Kate Hudson he was simply Matthew McConaheyyyyyy to me.

Haha. Me too!  For years I would just garble out a vague attempt at his name (Matthew McConahey, Matthew MacConanney, Matthew McConahaahaeaeyahaayeyye) because he just wasn't important enough to even worry about.

It seems like the tipping point might have been 'Ghosts of Girlfriends Past' (26% on RT) where McConaughey went "All right, time to start trying" because everything since then has been entertaining or interesting or good.

-Bernie (Totally understated little performance)

-The Lincoln Lawyer (Haven't seen it  but I've heard decent things)

-Killer Joe (The real big McC break-out, totally riveting as a psychotic cop moonlighting as a psychotic hitman)

-Eastbound & Down (Funny)

-The Paperboy (Again I haven't seen it, but I've heard things)

-Mud (Amazing performance)

-Magic Mike (Got some really good reviews, even some Oscar buzz in a really fun performance)

-Dallas Buyers Club (Oscar nom. haven't seen it yet)

-The Wolf of Wall Street (Haven't seen it, heard good things)

and now 'True Detective'

What a fascinating turnaround!

Best show on TV in ages. It's like Thomas Ligotti writing The Wire. BTW: For those who want to delve into inspirations for this show, read some Karl Edward Wagner (particularly "Sticks"), Laird Barron, and of course, Ligotti... Much of the nihilistic stuff spouted by the McConaughey character is straight out of Ligotti. What a great show, makes David Goodis, Cornell Woolrich and Jim Thompson seem like cockeyed optimists.

I find it interesting partly because it's one of the few TV shows I've heard of written entirely by one person (The Tudors, Only Fools and Horses and Jonathan Creek are the others). I personally think having only one viewpoint on-screen can work very well. 

I find it interesting partly because it's one of the few TV shows I've heard of written entirely by one person (The Tudors, Only Fools and Horses and Jonathan Creek are the others). I personally think having only one viewpoint on-screen can work very well. 

Not familiar with two of the shows you mention, but I thought The Tudors was outstanding. What's even more rare is when you have a director and lead actors who seem to be completely in sync with the writer.

I am not, as yet, as over the moon for this show as a lot of people, but it's good. But I really wonder if Pizzolato can pull together a second season that even comes close to this one. If you read some of the press he's done, it's clear that he's been kicking around this story, particularly the character of Rust, for a long time. It's difficult to imagine that the story of the second season will arrive quite so fully formed.

I mean, there's a reason the writers room exists, and it's not because David Chase or David Milch or Vince Gilligan or Bryan Fuller need any help coming up with awesome stories: It's because writing awesome stories while working on the insane schedule of TV is fucking hard to do.