DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

I know we've been discussing it in the Ongoing TV thread, but it SEEMS promising enough that I think it deserves its own thread.

Enjoyed the pilot a lot.  I like that we're getting basically three mysteries for the price of one: #1 Who was committing the murders? #2 How are they still going if someone is in jail for them? #3 What happened between the two detectives to split them up?

Also, saw a little blurb how the plan for the show going forward is to go the American Horror Story model where next season will be in another location with a different plotline, presumably different actors (I can't imagine Matthew McConaughey comes cheap!).

I was wondering if this would get its own thread. I really liked the pilot. Intriguing as hell and I can't wait to see how the rest of the season unfolds. And yeah, each season is going to have a new plot and new cast. I would imagine that's the only way they can secure commitments from big time actors. That's not surprising because I remember listening to one of Bill Simmons' TV-centric podcasts and one of the TV critic guests he had on had suggested that the major networks would be better off doing mini-series' or shows with a firm end date because it'd allow them to get better actors for the shows instead of the crap that they produce now.

Quaaludes!

Imagine if they could get McConaughey level actors every year? Like maybe next years it's Pitt and Perlman?

If this happened, I'd probably die of a heart attack of awesomeness overload. Probably like this guy:

orangoutan.jpg

Watched this last night and I thought the pilot was really good. My wife was only half paying attention when I started the episode, but by halfway through had put down her Kindle and was thoroughly engrossed. Really enjoyed the look of the show and of course the acting is top notch. Definitely in for all 8 episodes.

So that's what the whole deal behind the show is. I imagine John Goodman will be on no matter what role. My dream team would be... huh, I dunno. But I just thought of an old man team of Bruce Dern and Harry Dean Stanton (yes, I know they were both in Big Love) that would be AWESOME to do with younger actors doing the flashback.

This show may inspire me to take up an MGFanJay gimmick for McConoughey quotes.

IT'S LIKE YOU CAN SMELL THE PSYCHOSPHERE!

NATURE CREATED AN ASPECT OF NATURE SEPARATE FROM ITSELF!

I CONTEMPLATE THE MOMENT IN THE GARDEN, THE IDEA OF ALLOWING YOUR OWN CRUCIFIXION!

• Like 2

I didn't like this one as much as the premier. There weren't even as many awesomely insane quotes.

I think one of the comments made in the reviews (I believe reviewers were sent the first four or six episodes) is that the series is a fun weekly hour of tv, but True Detective suffers from being a procedural episode of a show you'd find on CBS stretched into eight episodes.

I didn't like this one as much as the premier. There weren't even as many awesomely insane quotes.

That is so not true. Or, let me rephrase that with a quote from the show. "How many ways can I tell you to shut the fuck up?" (no malice intended, just being clever)

"You're a smartass even with your mouth closed" was another good one. The whole thing about fatherhood being an act of hubris in this "thresher" of a world was actually deep and dark in an unforced, non-psycho-babbley way.

So Harrelson's character has a mistress huh?  She had um...a great uh...screen presence.  Other than her, I have no complaints about her, this show has some of the worst written female characters on television.  It really just seems like all the women are there either to be abused or sell their vaginas.  There is only one woman who seems to work at the police station, in 1995 that seems a little ridiculous.  Harrelson's wife is there just so we can look at someone and feel sorry about his infidelity, but if all we get to see of her personality is her complaining about him not spending enough time at home I can understand why he doesn't want to be around that all day.  It's 2014 and most shows still don't have a female character that is a character that isn't just there to tell us something about one of the male characters. 

I just feel like there were way more cliches and tropes of the genre in the second episode:

-the hard-boiled dectective has a beer and cheats on his wife

-the partners get into a physical altercation in the locker room

-a prostitute lectures a man on how men don't like prostitution because it takes their power away

-an old man laments that people don't say sir and ma'am like they used to

-stern police captain yells a lot and wants to be rid of one of our guys

Just too much of the familiar and less of what was interesting about the pilot.

I liked the way the second episode took the more likable character from the first episode and made him a total ass.  "Boy that McConaughey guy is kind of a space cadet but Harrelson is all right" gives way to "Man, what a douche, cheats on his wife then guilts her about it?"  (BTW, what kind of lunatic would cheat on Michelle Monaghan?!?!).  McConaughey's line "Is that a down payment?" was probably the highlight of the episode.

Alright, any one else have any theories about the show? It seems like the interviewers are a lot more jovial and relaxed with Rust than Woody. I think his interview takes place before Woody's too? Does he end up telling them something that makes them distrust or suspect Woody? Rust as the killer is way too obvious.

No wedding ring for Woody in the later interviews too.

-a prostitute lectures a man on how men don't like prostitution because it takes their power away

-an old man laments that people don't say sir and ma'am like they used to

I didn't mind these two, because they were directed at Woody, who immediately called them on their shit. The prostitute got the last word, but her argument falls apart because the girl was underage.

Old dudes are always complaining about "shocking" youth culture.

hipster2sm.png

BTW, what kind of lunatic would cheat on Michelle Monaghan?!?!

There were two great reasons to do so.

Eh, there's no way I'd take that over

kisskissbangbang.jpg

I mean, come on!

I understand where you are coming from, really I do, but YOU ARE FUCKING HIGH.

• Like 4