DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 1/17/14

victor

I've always got the feeling that the Rhodes Boys were always kind of holding on by a thread in the face of all the tag team competition.  I actually give credit to WWE to keep the straps on them this long after the win over the Shield.  I'm sure it must be very tempting to have those belts go to like 4 other different teams by now.  I would guess the Outlaws are a place holder to get more bodies in the Rumble without having to double dip.

I also like that The Authority held its tongue about The Rhodes Boys for this long before coming up with a Machiavellian plot to finally get revenge against the first people to get over on them.

They've taken a bunch of losses in non-title matches. But they've always come up big in the clutch.

I know people hate when champs lose in non-title matches. It's done way too much. But I look at it as something akin to the regular season in sports -- the Heat might take a loss to someone in like May, but they pulled out Game 7 in the finals which is way more important.

I think the idea is they had this whole holding pattern on them where they defend the belts in really good matches while elevating a bunch of other teams to look like threats. The Real Americans went from psuedo-comedy to serious contenders, for instance. And now they have an impending break-up coming at the Royal Rumble when one dumps the other, leading to their long-planned WrestleMania match.

Also, no one hates the New Age Outlaws more than I do. No one. I can't handle that introduction for more than two more weeks. It's the worst. But I'm fine with them beating The Rhodes Boys if it comes via a heel distraction. That's building heat for a rematch and ties into the previous story line. And if there is a rematch on Raw, I'm thinking Punk gets the upper hand on the NAO and saves the day for The Rhodes Boys.

This all started over the summer, BTW. That's some quality long-term booking. I'm sure they didn't have the details all planned like bringing in the NAO but this was set up for a long time.

Can't his on-screen father be Mick Foley somehow?

Mick Foley leading the Wyatt Family (Either as Bray's father or just making a deal with them) against The Undertaker in an attempt to end the streak would be all sorts of compelling TV.  Can you imagine the Foley promo where he talks about how HE should be the one to end the streak, but the cumulative damage of what the Undertaker has done to him over the years has left him unable to wrestle, unable to ever have his Wrestlemania Moment?

• Like 1

Can't his on-screen father be Mick Foley somehow?

Mick Foley leading the Wyatt Family (Either as Bray's father or just making a deal with them) against The Undertaker in an attempt to end the streak would be all sorts of compelling TV.  Can you imagine the Foley promo where he talks about how HE should be the one to end the streak, but the cumulative damage of what the Undertaker has done to him over the years has left him unable to wrestle, unable to ever have his Wrestlemania Moment?

That would be amazing.

I hope they don't do Cody vs Goldust at Mania, doesn't seem to be a point in that now. The last two years were good years to do it if they were going to. In 2012, when Dustin got briefly involved in the Cody/Booker feud for one and then last year when Cody and Goldust had their great Rumble interaction which there's no need to repeat. Nowadays with both faces, Cody's doing some of the best work of his career as a face and the crowd loves Goldust. Them against each other just seems like it'd be forced and unnecessary to me. I'd much prefer they remain a team for as long as possible

• Like 4

I hope they don't do Cody vs Goldust at Mania, doesn't seem to be a point in that now. The last two years were good years to do it if they were going to. In 2012, when Dustin got briefly involved in the Cody/Booker feud for one and then last year when Cody and Goldust had their great Rumble interaction which there's no need to repeat. Nowadays with both faces, Cody's doing some of the best work of his career as a face and the crowd loves Goldust. Them against each other just seems like it'd be forced and unnecessary to me. I'd much prefer they remain a team for as long as possible

That's exactly why you do it now. People are more invested in Cody than ever before, and possibly Goldust, too. Doing this after a few weeks of a build-up doesn't work. No one cares. But after a dramatic reunion, losing their jobs, their father assaulted and humiliated, defeating the almighty Shield, surviving in a reborn tag division -- now you have something that's going to produce something with the crowd.

It's not too hard to get them back together after their match, if that's what fits. They're brothers. One apologizes to the other with Dusty there to seal it with a kiss and you move on.

That in no way would turn him face. IRS as a face... just, no.

well, IRS as a heel was pretty damn lame too. Not even a 20 minute compilation of IRS promos can save his reputation. The link is the same fucking promo over and over for 20 minutes.

Although they could always have Bray's father as bizarro-IRS, Mike Rotundo playing a tax protester, whose refusal to pay taxes led to the IRS seizing his home and Bray running away to live in the swamp. Then Bizarro-IRS will wrestle a few matches where he uses an 861 Airplane Spin to finish opponents.

Saw Outlaws vs Rhodes Bros. First off, the crowd was definitely more into the Rhodes Bros which was refreshing. There was a pretty good opening exchange between Road Dogg and Goldust and then a really good mid match one between Billy and Cody. My biggest problem with Cody is still his facial expressions. He's the least emotive guy in the world when he's hitting his stuff and mainly just looks like he's trying to focus on doing what he's supposed to do next. That said, almost every other aspect of his game has improved over the last few months. No problem with the Outlaws win since it was framed as bs. They looked fine and it was great to see Cody and Goldust vs a different team but anyone who wants them to get the weekly tag focus over the Brotherhood right now is sort of a doofus. 

If I had to guess right now I'd say that the Rhdoes bros will not break up at the Rumble, if only because they're pushing it too hard.