DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

Cota is literally the only wrestler I've ever wanted to see a match of so much that I tracked down Lynch and figured out how to order from him.

He's my #25 GWE of all time on my list, one above Stan Hansen and I will defend that choice forever. 

I have no idea what sort of a human being he was, but he was maybe the most purely entertaining wrestling villain who ever lived.

• Like 1

Reading Meltz's obit, his 80s team with Fiera/Sangre Chicana (Los Guerreros) was known behind the scenes as "Cheech y Chong" because they were such party animals. Fucking awesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hector said:

I enjoyed the Chip Kelly pacing of tonight's show. Guys had to work more efficiently which meant less time than usual for idling and lazy comedy. And good for the crowd booing Blue Panther Jr. He stinks on ice.

Amen, brother. He's gonna be totally exposed next week in Japan with nobody covering up for him.

Really liked the show. Volador fucking killed it as usual, Panther/Casas are just absolute all-time legends, that main event finish was such an awesome visual. Really hope on the 27th they come back with something similar when the full crew is around.

On 1/8/2017 at 10:57 AM, Linus said:

What do I need to watch before I watch Imposible vs Relampago's blow-off?

They didn't really do a blowoff, so you're fine! But their previous non-title match would work. IWRG's channel (with +LucahTV doing the work) has started to post the bigger matches from their shows. It's the place to check, though it's on a little bit of a delay.

Okay, so I keep seeing trailers on Galavision for a television show produced by Sony and Televisa that looks like it will be a dramatic biography of the life of Blue Demon.

Is this thing a serious thing or is it straight up folk tale bullshit?

Much more the latter; this seems to be an imagined drama of Blue Demon's life with some real names and locations thrown in. It's not like an crazy Demon luchador movie either, it comes off as trying to do a period piece in 1930s Mexico where the lead character happens to become a famous luchador. It doesn't get made without the Demon name but it's not taking much more than that.

It's airing on Unimas starting this Sunday. 

The show got a lot of hype going before airing in Mexico, and then I haven't heard a peep since. It's on Blim - Televisa's version of Netflix - and that service isn't popular at all, so I'm not sure if the show just isn't interesting or no one's cared enough to watch it.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Pentagon Jr showed up at the Crash show in TJ today with a new name, so he could very well be done in AAA.

He confirmed on his Facebook that he left AAA

The aforementioned story

While everyone was focused on the happenings in the U.K. in recent weeks, some equally major moves were taking place in Mexico as Pentagon Jr., Daga and Garza Jr. all showed up at The Crash promotion show in Tijuana, a Konnan-booked company which indicated them leaving AAA.

Pentagon Jr. posted about leaving AAA on Facebook.

This comes just days before AAA was scheduled for a major press conference, believed to be announcing this year's TripleMania event.

All three showed up wearing Perros de Mal gear, and while that is AAA's most popular stable, AAA, which has gone on a trademark spree of late, can't trademark that term which was started by the late Perro Aguayo Jr., along with Damian and Halloween years ago, long before Konnan recruited the group into AAA. Right now the status of Perros Del Mal, a valuable merchandise name, is uncertain.

Pentagon Jr. will no longer be allowed to use that name, but will instead be called Penta El Cero Miedo. AAA owns the name Pentagon Jr. Lucha Underground owns the name Pentagon Dark.

The former Pentagon Jr. & the former Fenix, who has worked as Rey Fenix and Fenix el Rey since leaving AAA, which trademarked Fenix and later Rey Fenix, are now being called The Lucha Brothers, and are an outstanding tag team, having two of the best tag team matches in the U.S. this year in PWG with now WWE performers Chris Hero & Tommy End, along with The Young Bucks. The two are brothers in real life.

This also means Pentagon Jr., who has been working extensively in the U.S. because he earns more money there, not to mention does huge merchandise business at independent shows, would be booked by Konnan, who also books Mysterio Jr., although Mysterio Jr. has worked with AAA recently and would be expected to appear at TripleMania, and is Lucha Underground's biggest star.

A key to this is also the unhappiness of the talent because with Lucha Underground not taping now, nor scheduled for any tapings until November, they aren't making any money from that promotion. If Lucha Underground had set up ways to merchandise its talent and either book its talent or run shows, it's doubtful this will happen. A key is that if Lucha Underground backs Dorian Roldan, who is a part owner, then this talent would be out of their Lucha Underground contracts in North America, opening them up to potential work in WWE, ROH or TNA.

With the exception of Rey Mysterio Jr., most considered Pentagon Jr., now Pentagon Dark, as the biggest star of Lucha Underground and this puts them in a unique position. For years, one of the keys to the Lucha talent in Lucha Underground staying with AAA is that they would lose their spot, which was exposure and American dollars, in Lucha Underground if they left the promotion. But of late, that didn't stop Sexy Star and Fenix, two of Lucha Underground's biggest stars, from leaving.

Now with Pentagon, it becomes more interesting to see if Lucha Underground will no longer book those wrestlers, which would also make them free agents in the world marketplace.

Konnan has spoken for months about The Crash expanding, running more dates and getting television in Mexico. He even made a remark last night about 1996, which was when Konnan and Antonio Pena had a falling out and Konnan took much of the talent with him to both WCW and Promo Azteca. The latter promotion fell apart shortly thereafter.

The jump came one day after Guerra de Titanes at Juan de la Barrera Gym in Mexico City, where Pentagon Jr. lost when challenging Johnny Mundo for the Latin American title. But the curious thing was that Daga issued a challenge for the next title shot, meaning AAA could not have known about his leaving.

Daga and Garza Jr. will be able to use their names as Daga used that name prior to AAA, and Garza Jr., is a family name, as he is a third generation member of the famous Monterrey wrestling family and, unlike with Cody Rhodes, Garza Jr. used that name prior to AAA.

http://www.f4wonline.com/mexico/pentagon-jr-quits-aaa-announces-new-name-228826

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Couldn't Pentagon just go with being called plain old Pentagon? 

No because AAA owns the rights to "Pentagon"

That is why the 2nd Pentagon had to become Pentagon Black when he left AAA

Ah. Didn't know there was another Pentagon, and also figured the Jr. was because of an older wrestler who had the rights already.

Now I'm imagining him going as Penta Gone. Thanks Technico

EDIT: Dammit I forgot about the Pentagon that died in the ring. So is that the same guy as Pentagon Black?

EDIT II: Nevermind https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagón

I really enjoyed the Crash show. Big time throwback to 1996 Tijuana stuff so maybe I'm biased. Only bleh match was the Brian Cage tag but that was in a rough spot coming after the hot angle and nobody knew who Scorpio Sky was at all.