DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

After reading everything (especially about the table being lit with nobody around) I had to watch it and wasn't let down. Pagano had to go to the hospital too. Murder Clown's mask is pretty cool. Who was the big dude not in the match with all the Conan the Barbarian gear on?

• Like 2

It was a classic 90's deathmatch.  Pagano goes all New Jack bringing a shopping cart of weapons.

I guess Monster Clown had to take some time off which would explain the breakup between Murder and Monster Clown. 

Murder Clown is quickly growing on me.  His work is underrated for a big guy.

So I've gone down a lucha wormhole today; old stuff on their Twitch feed, old matches on youtube (Cien Caras vs. Konnan from TM1), countless wiki clicks to other wrestlers looking up when and how they started. 

Then I stumbled upon last years TM main with Wagner vs. Psycho Clown. Why is Psycho Clown so beloved by that audience? I've previously seen THAT Psycho circus vs. Villanos match from a few years ago that got terrible reviews. 

Also why does this image show up when you google image search Psycho Clown? https://goo.gl/images/Sc9VMT 

Phantasma's kid doing the throat splash almost made me spill my beer jumping out of my chair. Absolutely amazing.

Didn't watch the whole show, but I enjoyed it for the spectacle that it was. That and Vampiro flipping out when his music did not play as he walked from the ringside announce table to the ring. :)

The extreme rules trios match was some dogshit. If you enjoyed the violence for violence sake, whatever, but even as a deathmatch match it was horrendous. 

Rey, Pango and a stage-handworking together to set up the fire spot was embarrassing. Hijo de Tirantes starting to count a pin fall even though Pagano didn't even have a hand on the opponent. The ref stopping counts himself bc guys were late to break it up. Texano no selling lighttubes. All that is just off he top of my head. Not to mention Striker being bored out of his head throughout and underselling the finish.

I've seen worse AAA death matches. There was one once that I was ashamed actually made tape, it was so piss poor. In contrast this was just bad but funny/fun. I mean the ref refused to count a pinfall because of a low blow in a death match, you have to give anything with something that ridiculous in it some credit. 

On 8/27/2018 at 2:59 AM, BNosanchuk said:

So I've gone down a lucha wormhole today; old stuff on their Twitch feed, old matches on youtube (Cien Caras vs. Konnan from TM1), countless wiki clicks to other wrestlers looking up when and how they started. 

Then I stumbled upon last years TM main with Wagner vs. Psycho Clown. Why is Psycho Clown so beloved by that audience? I've previously seen THAT Psycho circus vs. Villanos match from a few years ago that got terrible reviews. 

I wouldn't try to base Psycho Clown's appeal on a match where two of his opponents were horribly overweight and the third was a recent stroke victim.

• Like 4

Try to find a match outside of the AAA umbrella where they are not working to their gimmick.  One thing I have noticed on a few Mexican indy matches is that the wrestlers tend to have more freedom with respect to plotting a match.  In AAA, they tend to work around the gimmick with respect to the in ring work.  Outside of AAA, the in ring work can outshine the gimmick.

If you watch the Triplemania deathmatch, Murder Clown was working a different style from his time with Monster Clown or Psycho Circus.

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder what % of the general crowd know Psycho is an Alvarado and is Casas' son in law. 

Didn't he do some sort of in-ring memorial right after El Brazo passed away?

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Dont remember but very possible. There was also him destroying UG's car. 

Yep. WON, 10/28/2013:

AAA, which is still talking of expanding into what is now a precarious U.S. wrestling market early next year, had its latest big show, the annual Heroes Inmortales event, on 10/18, before a near sellout crowd of 4,700 fans at Gimnasio Miguel Hidalgo in Puebla.

The show featured two honorees: Antonio Pena, the founder, original owner and creative genius behind the promotion from its debut in 1992 until his death on October 5, 2006, which is why his Memorial show is in October. The second honoree was El Brazo (Juan Alvarado Jr.), who passed away on 10/16, from complications of diabetes, at 52. Even though he had been doing an exotico gimmick as La Braza in recent years, he was honored under his more famous wrestling name.

The latter created tremendous emotion in the AAA Super Mega championship match, as another member of the Alvarado family, The Psycho Clown, the nephew of El Brazo, came out with gold and silver arm sleeves to honor his father. His opponent, champion El Texano Jr., came out dressed up in a costume like his father wore as part of Los Misionerios de la Muerte (The Death Missionairies) when they, Los Brazos and Los Villanos were the three big trios in Lucha Libre. Texano Jr. retained the title in what was among the most heated, and among the best matches the company has put on this year. Reports were that Psycho was super over and they think they’ve made a singles main event player in him. Given the circumstances with the emotion, only time will tell on that. It’s also notable that both CMLL and AAA had Alvarado family members headlining big shows during the week (Brazo de Plata vs. Rey Escorpion in a hair match was on the Arena Mexico show the same night). In both cases, the family member was originally supposed to lose, and in both cases, the result wasn’t changed.

11 hours ago, Pete said:

I wouldn't try to base Psycho Clown's appeal on a match where two of his opponents were horribly overweight and the third was a recent stroke victim.

Agreed. Can you add to or elaborate on why Psycho is so over? Is it really just the mask? It's far different than any other traditional mask. His work doesn't seem top tier, though I don't watch lucha regularly. No entiendo bien español, are his promos really good? Does he have a certain "special charm?" Was it the memorial thing or around that time frame where the audience (finally) got behind him emotionally? 

I'm still curious about the ring and why they went from 4 sides to 6 sides at different times/shows, and the music; how they're able to play all those famous, well known songs for so many years. 

Forget it Jake, Its Mexico.

The only time i can recall recently where there was a copyright issue is when one of the CMLL dance numbers got a youtube strike against it and got the show taken down. Since then, they dont air the dance numbers on the stream. And they sometimes turn down the volume on peoples entrance music, but not always. 

• Like 1