DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

With a lot of guys going indy and trying to hook onto the US and Japan gravy trains we might see some changes over the next few years.  Things are changing but moving at a glacial pace.

As for CMLL, I have worked in a lot of family businesses and the way they operate is no different than any other family business.

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I have feared a bald caveman for a couple weeks now, once he started filling in for Terrible.

Time for the annual "book a better show with people not on the show" exercise.

I presume Hechicero will be announcing. 

1. If they're sticking true to the stip that both guys get shaved, it'd be monumentally dumb to waste Rush's hair on this, so he should be safe. 
2. This should be a good payday for him but who knows what sort he could have gotten X amount of years from now, or, you know, if they actually used him to his full potential (he's lost almost every singles "feud" in forever, right?) 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Speaking of CMLL scamming us, they wouldn't have Cavernario and Rush lose and then have Rush refuse to shave his head because he ripped up the contract or some such, right? (Protects Volador. Builds Rush's hair up as even more important for the next time it's up. Fans still get their scalp with Cavernario, etc.). This is Mexico. They don't do that in Mexico, right?

I think this would be a step too far for them.

Rudos winning this could be a good way to fix "Cavernario loses every feud despite being awesome" problem.

If CMLL is to be believed (yeah, right) and Rush/La Park rivalry will indeed continue then... Rush shaving Volador could add more fire to it since they are family.

Bald Volador Jr. would be obviously slightly protected due to rudos needing multiple run-ins to put him down for good. Taven probably is happy as it is to main event a big show and it feels like his title win against Volador was building towards this in the first place.

So yeah, I'm convinced now that rudos are losing.

And the car crash continues.  The owner of AAA legit gets taken out by a botched dive/catch in the AAA mega championship match.  A kid in the front row also got busted open by a shard of glass flying off a light tube in a hardcore match earlier.

I actually preferred last year's Jarrett who was too drunk to do shit and would throw tacos into the crowd instead of eating them all from the looks of it.   

Does it make me a bad person when I hoped that Pena's ashes from the urn fell everywhere when Fenix landed on Mrs Pena.  Probably so ?

• Haha 3

On one hand it makes sense for La Park to win it since they obviously want to do La Park/Wagner next year... On the other hand I feel like this really does nothing for AAA long term. In other words Psycho Clown should have won it.

One interesting thing for me happened after last CMLL show. La Park explained how everything went and why they aren't doing mask/hair match at Anniversario. If you followed the "news" then you know that it sounds like a bullshit and him claiming that they walked fine line between just feuding and promising mask/hair match is ridiculous. But... fact that he said all that to me hints that CMLL has worked out something with him. Because few days ago everyone was basically dumping blame on everyone else and it looked very possible that CMLL might just axe everything.

Another weird thing was that he talked about how his match with Rush might happen earlier than 2019 September (maybe even this year). So... were CMLL aware that La Park is winning it and decided to delay big match to earn more money? Sure, Anniversario ticket sales will suffer and they'll get some heat from the fans (not that they care), but it still is going to make them some nice money and if they can run few months later La Park/Rush? I'd think that they probably can ask for even higher ticket prices now than before due to La Park's win tonight. Basically it could result in two Anniversario level shows in one year for them.

It also might create, I think, interesting story. Wagner and La Park had this rivalry and it felt like it had to end with one of them winning opponent's mask. But Wagner lost his to Psycho Clown and he is now on lower level than La Park. So if La Park loses to Rush... then they are kinda equal again and they can have proper (well as proper as it can get at this point) ending to their feud with one of them, instead of mask, winning the hair.

Also, am I only one here thinking that Faby wanted to lose? For those unaware some time ago she "faked" getting shaved and while fans didn't really hate her for that it still looked bad. Her getting shaved now and posting bald pictures, at least to me, kinda fixes that past mistake.

Either that kid is the biggest bad ass in the world or he is sick and knows he only has a couple years to live.   There are pros with 20 years experience who doesn't have the courage to threaten LA Park.  

by the way was Brian Cage legit injured last night on Fenix's swanton to his knees?   The 'X' did get thrown up by the ref and he didn't do anything after that. 

• Haha 2

I kinda loved that Pagano & co match. It's neither the dirty, serious violence of your indie lucha handhelds nor the workrate bloodletting of the average BJW main event, both of which usually get praised more (and generally for good reason), but this kind of giddy, occasionally hilarious hardcore match can be special when done well, and I thought it was a ton of fun. 

I loved the show. Everything I wanted out of my wrestling. The only two things keeping it from being a 10/10 show for me was the clusterfuck lumberjack match where everyone was too selfish to just do what the crowd wanted and had to get their shit in - shocking for a Teddy Hart match, huh? That Jack/Chessman brawl at the end was 100% legit which tells you how angry they were at how things went. And the pre-show 4 was cruiserweight title match was underwhelming considering the participants. Everything else clicked for me including that wild hardcore match where they did the opposite of the lumberjack match and did exactly what the crowd wanted to see - VIOLENCE!

Best match for me was the ladder match where I was terrified they'd hurt themselves in a match that made no sense to even be happening but to everyone's credit they did the match as flawlessly as possible by AAA ladder match standards. Pre-show opener, actual show opener & 4 way for title also get credit for being very good. The 4 way mask match wasn't bad but the referee stuff really took me out of it and made it feel less like an important match and more of a sideshow. Hijo de Tirantes took tons of offense and survived it all which made the other two look dumb since they were selling exhaustion and pain while this ref is invincible.

Marisela getting nailed was a 100% planned spot but the execution did not go as planned since Fenix did kick her hard in the throat. Intentional? That's up to you to decide. But the sister was clearly expecting it, there was security covering the urn & protecting the grandma so they knew Fenix was coming in on top of them but he came in so hot both feet went straight at her. I loved it. :) Even more loved her biggest concern afterwards was fixing the wig she refuses to admit she wears.

Will rank high on my favorite Triplemanias of all-time list that I'll never end up making.

The English announcing was horseshit as expected. Every year it's the same thing and it will never change which is why we all have the right to forever laugh when AAA pretends that they're coming to the United States. They can't even be bothered on their biggest show of the year to get two announcers who can name the wrestlers. More important to make sure Vamp gets his buddy a payday & someone to joke around with.

I caught the last two matches on Twitch. I really don't follow much/any lucha, but am familiar with some of the big modern names like Fenix, Penta, LA Park, etc. I enjoyed the muy dramaticas spectacle of what I saw.

It took me a minute to realize there was an english feed, so I popped over to that; I was somewhat hesitant because it was Vampiro and Striker. Sometimes (often) WWE commentary can be so distracting I sometimes zone out from the match, but I've found with non-English stuff, since I can't rely on the commentary to "talk the match" to me, I do focus more on the match. And sometimes there's enough emotion in the foreign language commentary that the story and message still gets communicated. I thought Vamp and Striker did a good job of conveying the history and the stories; esp Vamp in the main event with Peirroth, Park, Wagner, etc. 

I've read the phrase "AAA car crash" pretty much everywhere, and I'll agree that is pretty accurate of the presentation. I'm a little sour of Penta at the moment because of his two recent bay area no-shows citing injury, but then pops up on a lucha show in Mexico. His performance tonight was nothing special. I got into the final 5-10 mins of the match with all the blood, and how old fat Parka just don't give a fuck and does not stop. I knew Hijo del Fantasma is Cuerno LU, but had never seen him work in AAA as Fantasma. They got me really invested in the unmasking ceremony portion because I had never actually watched one, just read about them and sorta knew the importance and context to the lucha culture. Again Vamp was great breaking everything down and translating. What would this mean for him/LU/Cuerno? 

I left Twitch on after the show and caught most of the GoPro doc. Felt very Beyond the Mat-esce looking at their personal and family lives. I enjoyed MOST of that. Fantasma/Cuerno is a total babyface after watching that. I didn't know he was bilingual. 

I also got the Apache story, from what they told. I'd seen the older Lady Apache come through to SF on a local lucha show, and knew of the name in lucha, but not much else previously. I liked seeing her home in comparison to Fantasma's especially with both of their stories in context; Apache and fam have relied heavily on wrestling/lucha which can be inconsistent financially while Fantasma has a full time government gig in addition to his lucha work. 

I really liked seeing Vampiro's story and his transition to a backstage role. What IS his role? From this doc it looks like he's running almost everything, booking, producing, TV stuff (directing), commentary. 

I'm not sure if I liked seeing Apache and Fantasma actually working out their spots in a ring with their opponents (Tejas Jr. and some big luchadora). Its a scene I've witnessed before (and know others have too), but filming guys working out spots and then presenting within a doc like this feels like the most egregious example of pulling the curtain back. Those were the only parts of this I had odd feeling watching, and I'm not "in the biznezz." 

Just a couple thoughts and questions after both TripleMania and this GoPro doc thing. 

Why the back and forth between 6 sided rings and 4 sided rings? I know the 6 sided is a lucha thing, but I've seen other times when its in a 4 sided and this GoPro centered on a AAA show (building to TripleMania) using a 4 sided ring, but then Mania just used the 6 sided. 

They really don't care about music rights, usage, licenses like AT ALL. How is that allowed to be done like that and for seemingly so long now? (I'm currently watching some old stuff on the AAA Twitch channel and I'm hearing Metallica, Manson, MJ's Thriller, etc.) 

17 minutes ago, iowanole said:

I know i’ll probably get blasted for this, but i’ve never been impressed with LA Parks in ring work, but my gosh, his “I don’t give two fucks” attitude is fun as hell to watch

If he only put forth a little more effort.  He can be invisible for stretches of the match and then bust out a strong move like the spear at the right time with the right amount of effort.   Then they give him a mic because......

5 hours ago, maciej said:

I kinda loved that Pagano & co match. It's neither the dirty, serious violence of your indie lucha handhelds nor the workrate bloodletting of the average BJW main event, both of which usually get praised more (and generally for good reason), but this kind of giddy, occasionally hilarious hardcore match can be special when done well, and I thought it was a ton of fun. 

I was watching this on Twitch while playing squads on PUBG.  I turn away for a couple of minutes and suddenly there is a shopping cart in the ring.  I yelled out 'WTF is a shopping cart doing here' which made the squad wonder what I was watching.  After a quick explanation, I was doing a little commentary.  My best line, 'Pagano is now setting a table on fire and there is nobody within 20 feet of him.'

How much hot water is JJ in for not catching Fenix?  

Fantasma's kid was the star of the night for pulling that move on LA Park.

• Haha 1