DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

So, LA Park to Triplemania in the Poker De Aces mask match along with...

Pentagon Jr!

Forget Kenny Omega, LA Park is the frontrunner in my book for best box office draw, especially if Park and Rush do main event the CMLL Anniversary show.

I think if I'm CMLL, I'm willing to use some guys and make some amends, but I'm not willing to use someone who's featured in AAA's biggest show of the year a month off from my own, unless I'm getting him for a big bargain and then I stick him one match from the top in a trios or something. I get that they're way too conservative but it feels like they should maybe be more so here.

So Los Coliseinos reaction on Twitter to the LA Park announcement has been interesting. They seem to have the opinion that this only proved Park's detractors in the CMLL office right, and reinforce the views of those not wanting to take a less conservative approach.  

On 6/4/2018 at 10:57 AM, iowanole said:

Just when I thought AAA couldn't get any worse, last night happened.  At this point, I've got to assume Vampiro is purposely sabotaging the company with his booking.

The whole show was good up until the last match.  Everyone worked hard and put on a good show.  All of the matches, with the exception of the main event, were solid.  If they ended the show after OGT and Ponder there would be no complaints.

Did they address JJ holding the belt at the press conference?

On 6/4/2018 at 5:57 PM, iowanole said:

Just when I thought AAA couldn't get any worse, last night happened.  At this point, I've got to assume Vampiro is purposely sabotaging the company with his booking.

Do we know for sure that this was Vampiro's idea? I somewhat got the impression that this might have been done for Alberto so that he can present himself as this big Mexican hero that still seems to work in Mexico.

As for AAA announcement, it is weird situation. It looks like Fenix is still booked for this Friday and it still is strongly implied that Penta is coming to Arena Mexico too. Argument also could be made that CMLL didn't announce hair/mask match for Rush/La Park because they knew that La Park would be part of TripleMania's main event and it would be bad business to advertise La Park mask match when few weeks earlier he'll have another mask match and might theoretically not even have his mask by that point.

I'm trying to stay optimistic here and hope that all of this will somehow work out.

As for CMLL/AAA crossover event. Not very fond of that idea, I like CMLL for its mostly straightforward style and AAA is very opposite of that. For me La Park in CMLL works since rest of the show is usually clean so when La Park/Rush do some weird thing it actually stands out. In AAA environment La Park's tricks aren't that interesting to me because bullshit is happening in 3/4 of the matches.

10 hours ago, Archibald said:

Do we know for sure that this was Vampiro's idea? I somewhat got the impression that this might have been done for Alberto so that he can present himself as this big Mexican hero that still seems to work in Mexico.

As for AAA announcement, it is weird situation. It looks like Fenix is still booked for this Friday and it still is strongly implied that Penta is coming to Arena Mexico too. Argument also could be made that CMLL didn't announce hair/mask match for Rush/La Park because they knew that La Park would be part of TripleMania's main event and it would be bad business to advertise La Park mask match when few weeks earlier he'll have another mask match and might theoretically not even have his mask by that point.

I'm trying to stay optimistic here and hope that all of this will somehow work out.

As for CMLL/AAA crossover event. Not very fond of that idea, I like CMLL for its mostly straightforward style and AAA is very opposite of that. For me La Park in CMLL works since rest of the show is usually clean so when La Park/Rush do some weird thing it actually stands out. In AAA environment La Park's tricks aren't that interesting to me because bullshit is happening in 3/4 of the matches.

I actually read on cubsfan blog site (I think) that Konnan has taken over booking and creative.  Sounds as if Wagner's wanting to go the independent/per appearance route and he had to drop it to someone.  The Alberto thing makes sense, if AAA wants to tie it's promotion to someone who left them high and dry 2 years ago.

Konnan has had the book since MAD started.  

Wagner sees what Pentagon and Fenix are making in the states and knows he only has a few years left so he wants to cash in.  Can't blame him with how hot the indy scene is right now.  He is 52 right now turning 53 in August.

Alberto needs something to occupy his time other than managing a Hooters.

They need to work on getting people to care about the belts.  If they do a show at MSG, nobody is buying tickets for either JJ or ADR or a match between both.  They will likely throw OGT/Ponder out there for a match which will steal the show but they need a headlining Championship match with guys who can work and sell.

I think the news about Konnan returning broke a few months ago when everyone was pissed off backstage after a major event and went about ranting on social media.  Mamba made the opposite post talking about how she was happy to be part of the organization no matter what capacity.  Now I understand that particular post in better context.

• Like 1

The Crash is still a thing, running next weekend,  and Fenix & Penta are still working that show.

Konnna formally took over booking on the Tijuana show. It's clearer in hindsight that Rey de Reyes was the breaking point for Vampiro being in charge, Dorian & Konnan agreed on a deal for Konnan to come back at some point later, and Konnan was already working behind the scenes at some point before the Tijuana show.

Wagner leaving had less to do with what was happening in the indies and more what he saw coming in AAA. He (and his son) did not figure to be a big part of plans with Konnan in charge, so he got out instead of being moved down.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Robert said:

Amazing spectacle. Great match to build to September. They had to do a non-finish and did it in such a way nobody felt ripped off. My Mexico MOTY.

Rob is correct (and you can quote me on that). What a scene. 

It usually takes a little while for the Friday night show. Should be up in a couple hours or so. Not sure if same folks are the ones filming the post match interviews they also post.

The trios match that set up next weeks Fenix vs Cavernario is also worth watching. 

• Thanks 1