DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

On 8/27/2017 at 1:47 AM, Oyaji said:

I didn't think it was that bad but I also enjoyed last year's main event. Surprised about the result but the right guy went over. The Wagner mask is legendary but dude is 52 and just probably made a shit tonne of money with his last big hurrah. We also got to see adorable Psycho Clown Jr. 

Doc has been milking that payday for over 10 years - if it wasn't happening here, that window of opportunity probably would've closed forever. I'd love to know how much he got to drop it.

As a side note: Doc looks amazing for 52. Like a guy 15 years younger, even with the white beard (which is a pretty brave look when you think about it).

• Like 1

I think that, while both are terrible, stiffing someone in the ring when they have the ability to stiff you back isn't as bad as someone giving you their body in a submission hold and you intentionally attempting to cause injury. 

That's what makes this so egregious. It's dangerous and it's cowardly. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robert said:

BTW One of the hilarious things from the fallout of the incident is 50% of wrestlers on twitter talking about how things needs to change when it comes to bullying/hazing/etc & the other 50% screaming I'M GONNA KILL SEXY STAR WHEN I SEE HER. We need to get on the same page people!

Much like life.

4 hours ago, iowanole said:

So what happened with Jeff Jarrett?  He was drunk or something?

Yes.  They were shooting an angle for GFW during the match which is why all three came out at different times and Lashley got into it with Moose.  JJ was just a pile of shit the entire time.

In Twitch chat, it was flooded with messages before the match started that they were shooting an angle for GFW which is what had me wondering about Rosemary at the start.  The talent exchange and their penchant for working fans made me wonder.

3 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Actually what's worse is she was mad at Shani and then tried to break Rosemary's arm.

AAA is dumb and will probably end up firing Shani for this for making Sexy Star mad

Star has legit heat for the way she came back.  Not that she did not have any to begin with.  This just made everything worse.

I watched the match again last night on the replay.  There was a slap by Rosemary at the beginning when everyone was missing that took down Star so I wonder if that triggered her. You can tell they were working her stiff the entire match.  An exposed chair shot on the back while being held in position for a Pedigree and a couple of other blows probably triggered her but it is no excuse.  The match had wrestlers who work stiff and with her shitty attitude she should have expected them to work her stiff as a welcome back match.  There is a line between working stiff and intentionally injuring your opponent.  Not only that, she spent 95% of the match outside of the ring sitting on her ass.

Still does not excuse her by any stretch of the imagination.  An overdose of humility will do her good.

The show is worth watching for the exotics at the start, the TLC match, and Psycho vs. Wagner.  The vignettes were as good as if not better than the WWE.  The last one where they thank all of the wrestlers who have passed on will cause a lot of dust to stir up in the room.  So many great names with Eddie sandwiched in the middle giving one of his great promos.  

The end of the show was amazing with the Wagner Jr. unmasking.  His speech.  His son refusing to hand over the mask.  His son saying he will come for Psycho one day.  So good.

She has already lost one booking due to it

WrestleCade also announced that they've removed Sexy Star from their November weekend in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. They wrote that anyone who ordered tickets to her meet and greet in advance will be refunded as soon as possible.

bottom line shooting on an opponent is wrong but to skirt around some of the points but in no way defending Sexy Star: have wrestlers not taken the object lesson from Montreal where if you have reason to suspect shit might go off, do not compromise yourself in a submission lest they change the finish or shoot on you. I would have thought an idiot with a history of being an asshole trying to stiff three opponents was a valid moment to play the non-cooperation card. Bit of inexperience or naivety here on Rosemary's part, I think.

I must confess that I do enjoy tales of liberties/cement/going into business for yourself, it's such a rich part of this crazy business and is such a grey area that naturally arises out of the strange work/shoot worlds that wrestling treads between. Kind of like the spirit world in a David Lynch production, it exists, you sort of have to deal with it like a dog shitting on your carpet; it will happen, it is inevitable, so no need to declare it great or evil. Like I know in so many ways that what Sexy Star did was morally indefensible but also we know that the company, the workers, and even the wider industry can make good story and money out of shit like this...so who really loses? Might be wrong, idk.

However, the vanilla "we're protecting each other here, guys, let's be SAFE!" publicly stated by wrestlers online gets my goat. From fans I get it. I'm also pretty sure Cody would never say to Vader or Hansen that they can't step in his locker room.

The only TNA/whatever it's called now I've ever watched is either The Broken Universe or Rosemary/Decay stuff. It really sucks. Rosemary's really awesome at her role and is completely committed to something absolutely ridiculous. That's how I like my wrestling. I'd love to see her do this shtick in NXT. I hope she doesn't lose too much time from someone being an idiot. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

bottom line shooting on an opponent is wrong but to skirt around some of the points but in no way defending Sexy Star: have wrestlers not taken the object lesson from Montreal where if you have reason to suspect shit might go off, do not compromise yourself in a submission lest they change the finish or shoot on you. I would have thought an idiot with a history of being an asshole trying to stiff three opponents was a valid moment to play the non-cooperation card. Bit of inexperience or naivety here on Rosemary's part, I think.

I must confess that I do enjoy tales of liberties/cement/going into business for yourself, it's such a rich part of this crazy business and is such a grey area that naturally arises out of the strange work/shoot worlds that wrestling treads between. Kind of like the spirit world in a David Lynch production, it exists, you sort of have to deal with it like a dog shitting on your carpet; it will happen, it is inevitable, so no need to declare it great or evil. Like I know in so many ways that what Sexy Star did was morally indefensible but also we know that the company, the workers, and even the wider industry can make good story and money out of shit like this...so who really loses? Might be wrong, idk.

However, the vanilla "we're protecting each other here, guys, let's be SAFE!" publicly stated by wrestlers online gets my goat. From fans I get it. I'm also pretty sure Cody would never say to Vader or Hansen that they can't step in his locker room.

I think there's a huge difference between stiffing someone/being way too stuff and deliberately trying to injure someone.    The first can at least be considered somewhat accidental, the second is just deliberately hurting someone.  You could argue Sexy wanted to break her arm, Vader didn't plan on breaking someone's back and Hansen didn't plan on popping someone's eye out.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Doc has been milking that payday for over 10 years - if it wasn't happening here, that window of opportunity probably would've closed forever. I'd love to know how much he got to drop it.

As a side note: Doc looks amazing for 52. Like a guy 15 years younger, even with the white beard (which is a pretty brave look when you think about it).

As soon as the hood came off, I was totally blown away. What a fucking good looking dude. I had basically the same reaction as to when La Sombra dropped his mask. If I looked like either one of those guys, I'd want to get that mug on TV!!

1 hour ago, evilwaldo said:

I watched the match again last night on the replay.  There was a slap by Rosemary at the beginning when everyone was missing that took down Star so I wonder if that triggered her. You can tell they were working her stiff the entire match.  An exposed chair shot on the back while being held in position for a Pedigree and a couple of other blows probably triggered her but it is no excuse.  The match had wrestlers who work stiff and with her shitty attitude she should have expected them to work her stiff as a welcome back match.  There is a line between working stiff and intentionally injuring your opponent.  Not only that, she spent 95% of the match outside of the ring sitting on her ass.

The end of the show was amazing with the Wagner Jr. unmasking.  His speech.  His son refusing to hand over the mask.  His son saying he will come for Psycho one day.  So good.

So, so great. That's a huge draw somewhere down the road if it all falls into place. Granted, chances are that it never works out that way, but it's a nice thing to look forward to.

5 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

As soon as the hood came off, I was totally blown away. What a fucking good looking dude. I had basically the same reaction as to when La Sombra dropped his mask. If I looked like either one of those guys, I'd want to get that mug on TV!!

Silver King is pretty handsome himself so it wasn't a total surprise... you know they'd have to look pretty similar. With a lot of the vets, the hood comes off and they look 40 miles of bad road facially... but Doc looks like a fucking movie star. Reminds me of when Cien Caras unmasked and he looked like Ricardo Montalban under the hood.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

On the other hand, UG kind of looking like a Mexican Terry Gordy has worked out well for him. 

Yep. Sometimes ugly is the new handsome.

Doc unmasked:

o0450067614014410918.jpg?caw=800

• Like 8

The sad part is the women's match overshadowed a great moment in Lucha Libre history that was given away for free.  The commentary was garbage but they nailed the Spanish translation of Dr. Wagner Jr's speech at the end.  The match started out as all Psycho and at the end everyone was all Wagner.  This was a tearful speech from the heart with an angle at the end where Wagner's son will one day avenge the loss.  WWE/GFW would have f'd this up ten ways from Sunday only to throw it out the window the next night on Raw at 8AM.  It was so perfect, so well done with the next generation wrestlers in the ring.

You know with the generational history of Mexican wrestlers that this loss will be avenged and they set in motion an angle that will last for decades.

It is a shame one moment had to overshadow this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Yep. Sometimes ugly is the new handsome.

Doc unmasked:

o0450067614014410918.jpg?caw=800

Dr Wagner is The Most Interesting Man In The World! "I don't always unmask, but when I do it's for a lot of fucking money.".

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm kind of curious what he can do with facial expressions. He's pretty much the most charismatic wrestler of his generation.

I'd put LA Park ahead of him, but it's pretty close. Both guys have personality to burn, and both are/were handicapped with masks that limit(ed) their facials. It'll definitely be interesting to see if he still has that magic sin mascara.