DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

From the outside, it just feels like people have seen recent success of Penta and Fenix in higher profile indys and followed suits. Also seems like more guys actually getting visas and what not and that prob helps. 

Seems like you have always had guys working in socal or texas forever and the guys who used to do chikara when skayde was the trainer 10 years ago or so. 

But i would defer to rob or kris or fredo who prob have better knowledge on facts than supposition. :)

So I watched the Mas Lucha version of Zack Sabre Jr vs Negro Navarro and that might be my favorite ZSJ match I've ever seen (admittedly I don't really seek out his stuff).  ZSJ works as a guy mugging to the crowd because he thinks he's awesome, then resorting to short cuts when he find himself even matched in both the submission and striking segments before losing to a suitably nasty looking submission.

I mean it's not rocket science, but it was really well done.

The Kids Day micros (not mascots!) match might have been more entertaining in the sense it was the first match so everything was new but I thought the Guadalajara match last night was even better! They cleaned some stuff up and did a couple new things. Micro Man is incredible. Don't sleep on these matches thinking they are just 1980's comedy spots, these guys deserve credit!

Edit: I didn't see the above post.  He was one of my favourite wrestlers to watch against just about anyone or anything AAA put against him.  He was the best male wrestler to work with the female wrestlers whenever the intergender matches happened.  He could team with his daughters against male or female wrestler teams and everything looked legitimately matched up.

the WON site says that Gran Apache just passed away - he was 58 years young.

I am so bummed to hear about Gran Apache's passing. He was a big part of AAA's undercard being as good as it was, which for years was better than CMLL's. It may still be in some instances when Canelo Casas, Arkangel De la Muerte, or Starman are wrestling.

QEPD.

I enjoyed Casas vs Mephisto for what it was. It's always great to get a new, long Casas title match. I do think he's slowed down just a little bit relative to a couple of years ago but he's got so many little tricks and so much charisma it hardly matters. Here he was able to pretty much work babyface too, which is what the crowd always wants him to be anyway, with some stuff that you don't usually see out of him (which in itself is a bit of a lie because he, more than any wrestler I've ever seen, does something different in every match he has: here it was a babyface rana, the DDT/Reverse DDT combo, and a shinbreaker to set up the low dropkick for the Casita). The primera matwork had a few fun touches and escalted well into Mephisto's tie-up finish. I liked the armwork in the segunda, with Casas selling setting up cut offs and keeping the selling going as Tirantes tried to raise his hand. They dropped that selling in the tercera (but to be fair, Mephisto just didn't work on it and he suffered for his lack of focus). They were going at about 80% speed for a lot of the tercera but I'd take 80% speed Casas over 120% speed mostly anyone else. You never know how many Casas title matches we're going to have left so it's good to find the joy in every new one that comes along.

Very weird story today about members of Alvarado family (Brazos, ...) demolishing Ultimo Guerrero's car in the Arena Mexico parking lot and Maximo, La Mascara and others watching it happen.

Cubsfan has synopsis of what is and isn't known so far.

http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/2017/05/19/video-captures-alvardo-family-members-destroying-ultimo-guerreros-car/

• Like 1

Here's more on the story from Wrestling Observer.  http://www.f4wonline.com/mexico/cmll-reportedly-fires-maximo-sexy-and-la-mascara-235936

CMLL firing them is justified and good on Ultimo for pressing charges (as he should)  But I'm curious what the security camera shows as that 90 second clip doesn't paint the full picture.

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 10:46 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

Here's more on the story from Wrestling Observer.  http://www.f4wonline.com/mexico/cmll-reportedly-fires-maximo-sexy-and-la-mascara-235936

CMLL firing them is justified and good on Ultimo for pressing charges (as he should)  But I'm curious what the security camera shows as that 90 second clip doesn't paint the full picture.

I don't know why they didn't just pull an Al Bundy and pour sugar in the gas tank.

• Like 1