DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

On the one hand, I think it's entirely true that wrestlers value different things than people analyzing matches. Bret is huge on safety, thinks that Cody Rhodes is one of the best wrestlers in the world right now, and probably overvalues 2007 Melina. Flair will talk all day about how Brody had the stamina to go go go for an hour. Etc. I can see why a wrestler would hugely value Volador's ability to hit spots, his timing, his positioning, a lot of the more mechanical aspects of wrestling, when that's not something I value as much. I do give him credit for certain things, and I do admit my biases and what I value, Rob. It's not black and white here.

I'm pretty transparent and consistent in what I value, I think. And it's not like there aren't modern wrestlers and matches that I enjoy and have written about (at length) as have enjoying.

On the other hand, I am probably not up to arguing with Satanico to his face. This sort of thing might happen:

On 10/31/2016 at 11:52 AM, Pete said:

Caught the second half of the Friday night EMLL and loved the wacky Dia de Muertos vibe with everyone (including the refs and announcers!) in sugar skull gimmicks. Again, I think Cavernario would be a strong pickup for NXT if it ever came to that.

Same here. If Cavernario picked up English, which he seems to be doing, he'll be straight. I hear he's studying accounting in university so he'll definitely be set for after wrestling.

I still don't get the fascination of wanting everyone to wind up in NXT. As a fan you should want them anywhere but so they can have actual good matches and not be wasted away working a completely toned down style wrestling in front of nobody for 95% of the year. If you're a personal friend of theirs then I totally get it... you want them to make decent money but I'm guessing nobody here is a personal friend of Cavernario. So what's the rush to get every < 25 year who we've only seen wrestle for 2/3 years into the shitty WWE system?

10 hours ago, Robert said:

I still don't get the fascination of wanting everyone to wind up in NXT. As a fan you should want them anywhere but so they can have actual good matches and not be wasted away working a completely toned down style wrestling in front of nobody for 95% of the year. If you're a personal friend of theirs then I totally get it... you want them to make decent money but I'm guessing nobody here is a personal friend of Cavernario. So what's the rush to get every < 25 year who we've only seen wrestle for 2/3 years into the shitty WWE system?

I think people already forgot about Cien Almas here

I think it's understandable to some degree. I don't always agree with it, but I think it's understandable. There's a sense of NXT/WWE belonging to us. He wasn't on the tour, but if timing was different, I could have seen Almas live in Baltimore a month ago (and I did see Nakamura, not that he really matters to me in the grand scheme of things, but it was pretty cool). I know Rob and Cubs make trips to Mexico but that's not something I can do often. There's also an innate desire for others to care about the things we care about. I think there's a reason why people who are comics fans are so into the success of the Marvel movies, even if they're, to some degree, watered down versions of the comics. They're still mostly good, but more than that, they're popular. You can talk to other people about them more easily. They're more mainstream. That's one reason why people want a wrestling boom, so they don't have as much of a negative stigma. So people who love Cavernario may prefer a watered down version of him that they can have more social interactions over than a purer version that no one will talk to them about.

That sort of thing. I don't really agree with it but I think it's understandable. 

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

I think it's understandable to some degree. I don't always agree with it, but I think it's understandable. There's a sense of NXT/WWE belonging to us. He wasn't on the tour, but if timing was different, I could have seen Almas live in Baltimore a month ago (and I did see Nakamura, not that he really matters to me in the grand scheme of things, but it was pretty cool). I know Rob and Cubs make trips to Mexico but that's not something I can do often. There's also an innate desire for others to care about the things we care about. I think there's a reason why people who are comics fans are so into the success of the Marvel movies, even if they're, to some degree, watered down versions of the comics. They're still mostly good, but more than that, they're popular. You can talk to other people about them more easily. They're more mainstream. That's one reason why people want a wrestling boom, so they don't have as much of a negative stigma. So people who love Cavernario may prefer a watered down version of him that they can have more social interactions over than a purer version that no one will talk to them about.

That sort of thing. I don't really agree with it but I think it's understandable. 

Fair enough. Nothing I can argue. That makes me sad.

It's frustrating though when you see a guy like Dragon Lee for example who had his first match (that we know of) on January 1, 2014 & is barely 21 years old. Certain people act like it's criminal WWE hasn't signed him yet as if they've missed the boat on the kid.

re: Dorada's last match next Friday:

Didn't he say that he wanted a match with Atlantis and Negro Casas in it since they were so influential on his career? I know it's not as dramatic as the Dark Angel match but it seems to be what he wanted?

He did say that but considering he's RT'ing comments about how he deserves more in his final appearence I'm guessing his idea wasn't a pointless trios match. I'm sure he'll get his spots in & be the winner at the end (maybe?). At the very least it'll be better than Dark Angel's deal because it won't be as self-serving & ignorant to what the fans want to see.

I hope they do something nice for him whether it be a plaque or video on the screen. It'll be tough though as Friday's show has 8 matches scheduled so there will be rush jobs.