DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

I loved the Cavernario vs Volador finish so much. It protected both guys, made Cavernario seem like a savvy genius savant, was totally believable given Tirantes' ego, and was just wildly creative in the way that he executed it. I've never seen that before. It's all the better for having a rudo beat so clearly high flying and deserving a tecnico in a Reyes del Aire final where they both flew but where the tecnico clearly had the kayfabe edge at the end. That's the entire point of the rudo/tecnico distinction and it was absolutely beautiful here. Now it builds to what comes next. I was so much happier with that and the thought put into it than just another repeat of a flippy move since they'd already done everything there was to do.

I can't even get how someone would think that wasn't great. We're ten years removed from the mindset that only clean finishes are valid and that's especially so when it's a rudo outsmarting a slightly more skilled tecnico to cheaply get one over on him for something that matters (and that he's tarnishing in the very act) to spark off a feud.

POST REPORTED FOR BEING ANTI-VOLADOR!

The finish sucked for one simple reason.... Volador lost. I just can't have that.

Honestly it wouldn't have been that bad a finish in my mind had it been done to put Cavernario over as a genius savant like you described. I just feel like the entire idea was just to get Tirantes heat starting from his obviously slow counts.

Either way I'm not here to talk anyone out of liking the match. I loved it. Those guys were just killing themselves and I can't let the finish take away from their effort level. Cavernario had that one shaky moment in the third fall where he showed his inexperience but otherwise everything went great. Certainly a must-watch.

I'm a little afraid to see how they try to top it next week in their title match. LOL

I was at work when i watched it so might have missed it, but i didnt see Volador do the reverse frankensteiner. That was the only spot i didnt see from the repitoire of either guy. Cavernario did their rebound splash 3 times which may have been one too many. 

But really fun match, even with Tirantes becoming the Cowboy Joe West / Kerry Fraser of referees. 

6 hours ago, Robert said:

POST REPORTED FOR BEING ANTI-VOLADOR!

The finish sucked for one simple reason.... Volador lost. I just can't have that.

Honestly it wouldn't have been that bad a finish in my mind had it been done to put Cavernario over as a genius savant like you described. I just feel like the entire idea was just to get Tirantes heat starting from his obviously slow counts.

Either way I'm not here to talk anyone out of liking the match. I loved it. Those guys were just killing themselves and I can't let the finish take away from their effort level. Cavernario had that one shaky moment in the third fall where he showed his inexperience but otherwise everything went great. Certainly a must-watch.

I'm a little afraid to see how they try to top it next week in their title match. LOL

My lizard brain can even channel that shaky moment into the finish and why Cavernario had to cheat in this (Reyes del Aire) setting but I know that's sort of giving the form a bit too much credit.

That said, the key bit to me was that Cavernario actively cheated. He did something to cause it like Fuerza might. It wasn't just Tirantes getting hit by accident.

And all that said, the spot where Volador jumped over a slide from Cavernario and immediately hit an Asai Moonsault was the single smoothest thing ever.

Watching the match tonight on Youtube and that spot was incredible. The whole match was unbelievable and I thought the finish was pretty creative especially knowing they're coming right back with another match. You know the heat is going to be off the charts for it too.

• Like 1

So late to this. I didn't like the match ending because the referee got fouled, and I really didn't like Volador immediately submitting Cavernario to his own hold, then blowing off the result of the match in his promo. I'm probably not giving enough credit to a rudo winning via rudo tactics, but I wanted to see Cavernario actually win, not him still looking like the lesser guy and winning on a technicality. If that spot is reversed around so that Cavernario tricks Tirantes into fouling Volador somehow to set up the pin, or maybe even if Cavernario's celebrating his genius instead of frantically waving his hands, I probably like that finish a little better.

It reflects very badly on both since they are good friends in real life and couldn't even successfully do the most generic match possible for a Tuesday main event. Rush wasn't exactly killing it either. At multiple points both guys just ran into each other with no idea what to do next.

The finish was just the most embarassing thing I've seen in a while and I just watched AAA TV earlier that day!

I was going to give crap to Volador about his usual vapid third fall spot monkey deficiencies and comment how I thought the match might have still been better than the very good previous one because Cavernario was able to be more of a base, but you can only do so much without seeing the finish.

On 10/12/2016 at 11:16 AM, odessasteps said:

I knew it was all downhill after Metalico gave Isabel his hat to wear. (And unlike the mannequins in Puebla, she put it on and had fun with it.)

I think they hold up the fall cards for the Friday shows as well.  They give off the vibe of they really don't want to be there.