DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

The York Hall show was lots of fun, although there were only around 200 people there the atmosphere was pretty good. Mano Negra approached me to try and sell me gimmicks before the show, so that was carny.

1) Cassius beat Pure Britannico to retain the Lucha Underground championship. Really, really fun match, with both guys working hard and Pure working heel to pop the crowd. Cassius was so over. I'm mixed on the sweaty hug he gave me afterwards, though.

2) La Rona Corazones beat Carmen Rosa in a battle of the fighting cholitas. It was what it was. Carmen was holding the rope when she got pinned but the referee - Mano Negra - ignored it. Booooo!

3) Mascarita Sagrada (not the one from Lucha Underground) beat Octagoncito (not the one from AAA) to win the WWA Minis title. Fun little match.

4) Heddi Karaoui beat Rayman to retain the WWA Light Heavyweight title after shenanigans. Good heeling from Heddi, Rayman is better than his dad.

5) El Hijo del Santo, Cassando & Zumbi beat Dr Wagner Jr, Angel Blanco Jr & Magnifico II. Cassandro didn't exotico it up, probably because it was a matinee show with loads of kids. Zumbi & Magnifico did most of the work but the others did their bit.

And then onto the Albert Hall! Man, what a venue! I felt common just being there. I'd say there were about 2500-3000 there, which is a great draw at those prices (cheapest tickets were almost $60). Show was tons of fun, with every match a little different to prevent lucha burnout.

1) Octagoncito (the one from AAA) & Blue Demoncito Jr beat Mini Abismo Negro & Mini Histeria, by whacky submission

2) Fénix beat Pentagón Jr when El Piero fast-counted by mistake. El Piero had earlier turned rudo, the bastard. These two really went for it, no 'phoning it in here.

Then came the interval and a man played tuba accompanied by a fella in a hat playing a mini synthesiser. It was actually brilliant.

3) Drago & Sexy Star beat Bengala & Faby Apache, when Drago pinned Bengala with a whacky roll-up. This got a bit chaotic and occasionally shit but that was not down to the women. The announcer got the tecnicos and rudos mixed up, which weirded the crowd reaction.

4) Blue Demon Jr, La Parka & Psycho Clown beat Texano Jr, El Hijo del Fantasma & Villano IV in a comedy classic. Texano Jr was obviously hurt but still put it in, and I was disappointed not to get a tope from Fantasma but this was really, really fun.

I missed him randomly walking around the concourse, too. Seems like he was having the time of his life. The evening show at York Hall drew 1000, so hopefully they'll be back, too. It's amazing to see the top AAA guys but I get a kick out of being front row for the indie guys, too.

Since he decided to stick his finger in my ear after landing in the front row following a bump/dive (can't remember which), I've decided that I really need some more Dr Wagner Jr. in my life.

Any key matches I should check out?

• Like 1

It might be hard to narrow down someone with a 20+ year career.

Definitely look for his stuff as a NJPW junior from the 90s.

Wagner was my favorite luchador back then, even serving as the inspiration for my Dr Alquimia character.

It might be hard to narrow down someone with a 20+ year career.

Definitely look for his stuff as a NJPW junior from the 90s.

Wagner was my favorite luchador back then, even serving as the inspiration for my Dr Alquimia character.

Whilst that might be the case, there are wrestlers (who have similar length careers) who have the matches that are in their canon of matches that everybody feels people 'must see'. I'm assuming he'd have had a few that were a step above the rest of his good stuff, the stuff that is remembered even now as really worth seeing.

Hechicero suddenly showing up for the no-showing Blue Panther Jr. on En Busca was funny. Guessing BP Jr. was either hurt physically (not likely) or emotionally (likely). Estrellita tweeted out pics of them together earlier in the day, so I don't think he was hurt. He quit.

That was a fun little match. Casas is amazing. On a non-TV (as far as they know) random Monday semi-main the guy did a dive, Code Red & took that finish. He literally doesn't know the meaning of a night off. Which is amazing since he works in a company with a ton of 20something year olds who take plenty of nights off.:)

This might be crossing streams, but does anyone want to imagine the Casas household when Mexico and Panama played in the CONCACAF Gold Cup a couple of days ago?  Negro and Dallys must have split the house.

Dallys is wearing Panama face paint tonight, great heel move

So, I finally got around to watching a Tortugas Ninja match from earlier this year, and it was amazing. Is there anywhere, or anyway to find more of them?

Youtube or get stuff from black terry jr (@blackterry)