DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

He returned to TV this weekend teaming with Jack Evans & Angelico against Pentagon Jr. & 2 of the Inferno Rockers in an AWESOME match! Definitely look that one up when luchablog puts it up tomorrow. It seems like Aero Star is back on a regular TV schedule as he's on at least 3 of the next 4 tapings so hopefully this isn't just an abnormality due to Fenix being injured/in Japan.

This sounds great but I can't find it on YouTube. Are you planning on uploading this one, Rob?
Here you go, courtesy of http://www.youtube.com/user/luchablog:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t80dtvuZ_gw

Luchadors do tend to take it easy on what they concern lesser shows as much as anyone. (For the extreme opposite, see Aerostar in that match.)

- El Hijo De Wager

Very little more than than a parody of his father right now. Passable at best.

Psicosis II

Good in trios, very motivated at times in CMLL but wasn't at all at the end of his AAA stint and could easily see him mailing in matches

Mascara Sagrada

wildly out of shape and no good for years - maybe decades? I think he might have been the best of these three at one point, but that point was along time ago.

• Like 1

He returned to TV this weekend teaming with Jack Evans & Angelico against Pentagon Jr. & 2 of the Inferno Rockers in an AWESOME match! Definitely look that one up when luchablog puts it up tomorrow. It seems like Aero Star is back on a regular TV schedule as he's on at least 3 of the next 4 tapings so hopefully this isn't just an abnormality due to Fenix being injured/in Japan.

This sounds great but I can't find it on YouTube. Are you planning on uploading this one, Rob?

Here you go, courtesy of http://www.youtube.com/user/luchablog:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t80dtvuZ_gw

Awesome; thank you so much. Don't know how I failed to find it.

Luchadors do tend to take it easy on what they concern lesser shows as much as anyone. (For the extreme opposite, see Aerostar in that match.)

- El Hijo De Wager

Very little more than than a parody of his father right now. Passable at best.

Psicosis II

Good in trios, very motivated at times in CMLL but wasn't at all at the end of his AAA stint and could easily see him mailing in matches

Mascara Sagrada

wildly out of shape and no good for years - maybe decades? I think he might have been the best of these three at one point, but that point was along time ago.

Thank you so much for that. I watched the Aerostar match in the previous comment and that guy can go, that is a guy who I wouldn't mind seeing in the next spot shows haha.

I'm interested in watching the big Anniversary show on Friday. Any way to do that online? Does it usually pop up in youtube pretty quickly?

The friday show is now televised on line. I dont know if cubs or fredo have said the anniversary show will be.

Kris has posted it several times on here. terra.com.mx will air the Anniversary show. It will likely be airing every Friday & Sunday CMLL show live going forward. Sundays have been airing for free for well over a year on that site.

If you visit the page for the first time, make sure when it ask you to pick between Mexico or US, pick MEXICO. Usually I go to the deportes page, wait a bit, and the video link pops up at the top. Click on it.

Gotta love Meltzer flip-flopping on a match filled with highspots as if he'd never seen something like that. As if, the site doesn't have an archive of his creaming his pants reports about Dragon Gate shows. :)

Also hilarious that he was worried about the young guys doing too many highspots (Larry Zbyszko syndrome) and not being able to walk in their 50s, when there were several 50-year olds on the show. 

He then spends time referring to Blue Panther as being old and slow. I think he mentioned he's thought that for years.  Like I said in the WON HOF thread that cubs started, that's Dave parroting Konnan's opinion about Blue Panther and Konnan's dislike for traditional, old school lucha.

Also amused at his confusion over Tirantes' deal. How long has he been watching CMLL again? A company that hasn't used rudo refs since Gran Davis and Gato Montini? Tirantes finally found the on/off switch to his shtick in CMLL and it's great. The matches need to be about the workers, not the guy counting pinfalls.

Totally agree about Tirantes. I mentioned this a few months back that his only over-the-top heel stuff shows up when he does the judging in the En Busca tournament.  He cut that down and has been a really good, probably the best, ref in CMLL.

The confusing thing about Meltzer is that he told Rob and myself that he kept up with it far more frequently, which I doubted, and it really shows in his writing (which is Dr. Lucha and Kris w/ him sometimes re-writing their stuff & messing it up) and how he talks about CMLL or any lucha that he really doesn't follow it.

The other funny thing about the terra site was how many people couldn't figure out how it works. thecubsfan had to put up a post to explain how to use that site to people.  The internet for one night was just like my grandparents learning how to set the clock on a vcr. :)

He then spends time referring to Blue Panther as being old and slow. I think he mentioned he's thought that for years.  Like I said in the WON HOF thread that cubs started, that's Dave parroting Konnan's opinion about Blue Panther and Konnan's dislike for traditional, old school lucha.

GTFO, Panther looks old and slow?  Maybe when he is in there against some younger spry guys, but when he is in there working with guys who work at a normal pace, he looks fine.  No one was bitching about the pace of the awesome Panther/Casas matches last year. 

Meltzer is full of shit. 

• 3 weeks later...

Checked out Volador vs. Sombra because I heard it was interesting, but what a horrible match.

edit: Yeah, I guess I stumbled upon the wrong one, though. The Reyes Del Aire match. *slowly backs away*

Watched this match today and thought it was pretty awesome if you're a fan of absolutely sick innovative spots and moves that look like they kill the other dude:

Belial/Tornado vs Fulgore I y II from XMW

I gotta be honest with you -- I didn't like that match much at all. It seemed like it was borrowing a lot of the worst US indy problems: Yes, there were some nice spots, but they were mostly meaningless; hell, at one point a reverse-rana-piledriver thing (Mexican Destroyer?) is immediately no-sold so the recipient can get into position for the next spot.

Also, I assume that ref was somebody's relative, because he clearly had next to no idea what he was doing.

I gotta be honest with you -- I didn't like that match much at all. It seemed like it was borrowing a lot of the worst US indy problem

Hey now... I warned you!

Watched this match today and thought it was pretty awesome if you're a fan of absolutely sick innovative spots and moves that look like they kill the other dude

XMW is all about young guys working with their buddies in front of their friends doing every spot they've ever seen on DVD/youtube. It's not everyone's thing.:)

I would highly suspect you are correct and the referee was someone's dad or uncle. He's worse on the rest of the show - especially the 6 way elimination match they did where he pretty much counts 3 on every move but everyone ignores him.

• 2 weeks later...