DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

People got caught blading on screen a couple times and that was the end of blood. (Hey, maybe if they lose all their TV...)

Brawling into the crowd seems to be at least partially a liability issue (as much fans messing with wrestlers as wrestlers hitting fans) but it's mostly the people involved just have a very set conception of what lucha libre should be and brawling into the crowd and weapon spots are considered substandard.

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Demon Jr. vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr.: Pretty plain match. Demon is ostensibly the face but stomps hands and busts out some nasty loud slaps like a rudo, something I've seen Matt D. here complain about a lot in his lucha reviewing. Demon takes the duke. Of note: these are one-fall matches.

This feels like a very weird thing to take credit for, but I'm pretty sure I'm the one who always complains about Demon the hero always doing tons of rudo stuff in his matches. I know this, because most people (Matt D included) aren't stupid enough to purposely watch and write up a dozen Blue Demon Jr. matches.

In all truth we should congratulate you for taking a hit for the team, so thank you. If it wasn't for people watching the shit that none of us want to sift through, we wouldn't know the gems from the turds. Eric and everyone else willing to watch full shows of unknown stuff deserve cred for doing that which few of us would. Salut.

I was wondering about that one, actually. I make an ideal Segunda Caida scapegoat though, so I figured I probably just expressed some idea poorly and repeatedly. I haven't seen a ton of Demon as of yet and haven't really wanted to seek him out but I did like his match with Timothy Thatcher a lot and was happily surprised with Demon in that match. I like over the top heel Thatcher more than super technical Thatcher. 

I was watching a shoot interview with Marco Corleone (Mark Jindrak) that was taped after he'd left AAA and before he'd returned to CMLL. At the time he had just gotten started with Lucha USA or Lucha Libre USA and they had a TV deal with MTV. I wasn't watching lucha at the time -- and I think this was also during my hiatus from watching pro wrestling in general -- but I do occasionally watch MTV and I have zero recollection of Lucha USA. What was the story behind it, and how long did it last?

I was watching a shoot interview with Marco Corleone (Mark Jindrak) that was taped after he'd left AAA and before he'd returned to CMLL. At the time he had just gotten started with Lucha USA or Lucha Libre USA and they had a TV deal with MTV. I wasn't watching lucha at the time -- and I think this was also during my hiatus from watching pro wrestling in general -- but I do occasionally watch MTV and I have zero recollection of Lucha USA. What was the story behind it, and how long did it last?

It was Lucha Libre USA, back in 2010. The idea was AAA made a deal with a guy named Steven Shipp to promote the company in the US. This went well until they actually started doing anything. They did a California/Nevada tour in 2009 to half full big arenas and AAA/Shipp fell out. (This has led to Konnan complaining about Shipp 5,000 times on his podcast; if you listen to a MLW Radio show from about 2013, there's a 1/3 chance Konnan tells the story.)

Shipp was still interested in promoting lucha libre and talked to MTV2 about getting a TV show, selling the TV people on using the AAA people. MTV2 agreed. Shipp had a 5 year deal to exclusively use AAA in Mexico, which AAA desperately wanted to escape and wouldn't send Shipp any people (and it's unclear if he was actually expected to get them.) Shipp instead created Lucha Libre USA, bringing Marco, US guys and various indy luchadors for something with a lot of masks and lucha tropes but feeling more like a US promotion. (Like the El Rey/Unimas version, episodes also aired on latino focused MTVTr3s, but they were still in English.) MTV2 aired about six episodes, didn't like the ratings, moved the seventh episode to an odd time slot as a season final and canceled it the same day they were in North Carolina to tape a few more episodes. 

Then it got strange. MTV2 surprisingly brought it back after all in 2011 for a second season. The promotion started taping shows, and more shows, and more shows, but MTV2 only aired four more before canceling it again. And Lucha Libre USA just kept taping more shows. I believe the entire run is still up on Hulu, including about 20 episodes (including a full third season) that never actually aired on TV but were produced anyway. 

MTV2 wasn't a good partner for a wrestling TV show, as others found out. The roster needed to be stronger than it was, but I'm sure ten years from now people are going to look back and be astounded about the random luchadors who made it to a US TV show and I'm doubtful AAA just putting on regular TV shows in that spot would've lasted any longer.

RJ Brewer, an ultra-conservative heel against all Mexicans and the pretend son of Arizona governor Jan Brewer, was a weirdly media popular star. He strongly kept up his character in media interviews and the media seemed to love him for a while, portraying him as a big heat getting heel even while the company was struggling to get on TV (and long after it stopped.) It was weird because the show would sometimes portray him as a comedy and sometimes ultraserious, but it was clear they though this was a money gimmick which would draw people in to boo him. 

AAA being locked out from the US until 2014 was the biggest business effect from the show (though it seems to have worked out for the best timing wise.)  

From other pictures I've seen, it features the best match ups or feuds in whoever's opinion, Jan, is Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero, Sept. is Mistico vs Mephisto. The CMLL logo is splashed all over the place, I would think CMLL probably still has rights to the Averno mask and Character, like Mistico. Also saw it on ebay. This calendar kinda seems aimed at a U.S. audience. 

The calendar might have been something that was given the OK back when CMLL let a few others do stuff like those collectible figures (Lucha Legends) and the t-shirts in the US. The company that was selling those figures doesn't appear to be around anymore. You can still find them on amazon at about $5.00. If I recall, they were selling for a lot more than that because I remember seeing the price and thinking they weren't gonna sell anything.  They emailed me and asked if I was interested in doing a contest to give some away, but we never got past the "rules" part of the contest.

The clothing company (think it was surropa.com) was trying to sell to Latinos and all I remember was the luchador t-shirts were very basic.

There was also that dvd that was released that I think had Mistico on the cover.

there's no reason to do more with Marco as an Ingobernable right now since Sombra is in Japan. When he gets back, then yeah, I'd be annoyed if they didn't do more with Marco in the group.

Looks like they're doing it now that Sombra's back. The haphazard stop-starting of things is something I'm still getting used to. Characters, so far as they exist at all, tend to be more convenient than consistent.