DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

Only in brief clips on Tercera Caida. They appeared to be the only ones taping the show, so that's probably that all that'll turn up.

It seems like there's a Diabolicos vs Diabolicos hair match at every legend reunion someone runs around Mexico City (plenty of those too), so maybe another one will tun up this summer.

So I was just watching some AAA that Cubsfan put up on Youtube. It's been a while since I've watched any Lucha. It's nice to know that Faby and Mary Apache are continuing their eternal feud.

That rudo ref in the white shirt (the smug looking prick...I don't know his name). Has anyone ever beaten the crap out of this guy after he fast counted them to cost them a match? Watching some Faby stuff she's gotten him after the match but he just ends up walking away like "Ha Ha you can't get me", but nothing where he's left lying in a pool of blood or anything.

It seems like they could probably build a whole major show around this guy being forced into a match and getting what's been coming to him for years. Of course in Lucha/American fashion he would walk out the winner because someone turned heel and helped him win.

If it's a major show and they do that finish like - with Psycho Clown last October on Heroes Inmortales - they'll let the tecnicos beat him up after the fact 'to get their heat back' or whatever.

He's the most furstrating character in lucha libre, becuase they'll have matches where he'll phyiscally help the rudos and matches where he'll be completely fair to the tecnicos - and those will be the same exact match, just like five minutes later. They know they can get a reaction by having him help the rudos (and having him get beat up or take a headscissors from Faby) and they're more interested in getting a reaction that moment than making any long (or short) term sense.

I am assuming that King Vikingo isn't the guy who once was Leon Vikingo (in Guapos U and I think he showed up in GDL)?

Also assuming that mini worker Rey Celestial is not mini worker Celestial? They used to have very different looking masks but pictures of Rey Celestial that I've seen lately look like he's wearing a more Celestial-ish mask.

The two En Busca matches to watch this week are Dragon Lee vs Cavernario & Dragon Lee vs Cachorro. For being completely inexperienced Dragon Lee put in great performances & combined with two excellent wrestlers it led to great matches. I now feel bad for shitting on him for many weeks.

I am assuming that King Vikingo isn't the guy who once was Leon Vikingo (in Guapos U and I think he showed up in GDL)?

Also assuming that mini worker Rey Celestial is not mini worker Celestial? They used to have very different looking masks but pictures of Rey Celestial that I've seen lately look like he's wearing a more Celestial-ish mask.

The two Celestials are definitely different people. The CMLL one jumped to Perros del Mal, then vanished after that promotion fell apart. Rey would be a few years younger and from a different city, Puebla, where King Vikingo runs his shows. Leon Vikingo = Lobo Vikingo, who appears to be wrestling as el Lobo on Guadalajara indies nowadays.

If you are a current CMLL fan you really need to be watching Terra next Sunday. Really strong lineup (building to Titan vs Niebla Roja on the 25th) but the main event might end up being a one-time only spectacle:

RUSH, LA SOMBRA, LA MASCARA vs MASCARA DORADA, VALIENTE, VOLADOR JR.!

Dorada's leaving for Japan afterwards & there's no telling how soon until CMLL drops the tweener gimmicks for the first team. Should be an awesome match.

Next Friday would be a good time to watch CMLL on Terra. 3rd match will be the yearly maestros team with En Busca De Un Idolo qualifiers so we won't know the exact match until Wednesday but as of right now it's Negro Casas/Cavernario/(Dragon Lee/Cachorro/Star Jr.) vs Virus/Rey Hechicero/(Dragon Lee/Cachorro/Star Jr.)

That is pretty incredible.

• Like 1

Okay then. Clearly if Dragon Lee (who has been impressive in the tournament if you actually watched) is in the match Virus, Negro Casas, Cavernario & Hechicero will just completely fall apart and start fucking up everything they do due to his mere presence.

On paper it'll be a great match no matter what, we'll see how it turns out in execution. At least CMLL is mixing the vets with the rookies instead of living in a world where Solar/Navarro face each other till the end of eternity & Lucha Libre ceases to exist once they do.

I have to admit, it frustrates me a bit to see Meltzer going on about "innovation!" as if it's the most important thing in the world, with crazy dives being maybe the second most noteworthy. The more lucha I see, the more frustrated I get that all the really great aspects of lucha have nothing to do with someone jumping over the top rope and hitting a rana or whatever. That's like someone going through four tables in the ECW arena or doing some sort of crazy headdrop in ROH or having really, really good punches in Memphis. It's all a tool to a greater end and it's all about how and why it's used and there seems to be very little discussion of that, just whether or not it's smooth and clean and exciting. 

One of the guys will be Cachorro, so you don't have to worry. It would take ridiculously dumb CMLL booking for it not to be (i.e. Star Jr./Dragon Lee dual wins on Tuesday) & even then we can still rig the polling to give Cachorro the extra points he'll need.

I don't think Dave is calling dives or innovation the most important things in the world. He's just watching these 10 minute matches full of highspots and enjoying them. If that's not your thing it's totally understandable but don't try and tell someone else they're wrong for enjoying it.

We knew what we'd be getting in these matches right from the start. 10 minute time limit in front of crowds who have been known to get restless when the guys do extended matwork. If you expected anything less than fast paced action with crazy highspots you were just deluding yourself. To that extent if the wrestlers had decided to just do 10 minutes worth of matwork while the crowd heckled them that would show how little understanding they have of their own profession. They're giving the crowd what they want and at the same time trying to get noticed which is the real point of this tournament.

I don't mean to sound condescending but Lucha Libre has changed. What worked in the matches covered in the 80's project folder do not work today except in VERY limited doses. It's a different style in front of different fans with different expectations. Solar/Navarro coming out to do their usual 20+ minute matwork match that gets money thrown in a near empty Arena Lopez Mateos would not work every week at Arena Mexico. Much the same way if we sent Dragon Lee/Star Jr. back 30 years they would be laughed at by the crowd for not being able to do even 2 minutes of matwork without going straight into dives. They wouldn't be looked at as innovative flyers, they'd be looked at as untrained gymnasts. Same way a lot of fans these days see guys like Solar/Navarro as old men who have no charisma and wrestle a boring style.

There's plenty of great stuff in CMLL right now though. Sure, it's not the stuff on the 80s set, but a lot of it is still really quite good and it has the crowd, even if it may not be drawing. It's just that this is what gets the attention instead because it's flashy candy.

Dave's preferences are Dave's preferences though, and it's not just with lucha but with everything and you can run a direct throughline all the way back to 1984 pretty easily, so I shouldn't be surprised, and I'm not. You could just see how much more energized he was in the latest WON than he has been in a while about lucha.

I have no idea why Cachorro is currently in 7th in this week's poll. Guerrero Negro Jr has more votes than him and he hasn't even wrestled yet. About 20 of the votes for Cachorro have been mine from various devices/page reloads. It might not be a bad idea to start rigging things in his favor since now.

#PorraCachorro

Final En Busca Round 1 matches just wrapped up. Star Jr. went out with a bang... or three. Insanity.

Via TKD117 on twitter...

With En Busca W8 polls as of right now:

Hechicero 565

Cavernario 453

Cachorro 420

Lee 414

Star 405

Soberano 394

G. Negro 346

Halcón 342

It's real close. Bottom 3 are out no matter the fan polling swings. Cachorro should be safe. Dragon Lee is certainly set up to advance (they did an angle tonight w/ Hechicero & the maestros) but if Star Jr.'s fanbase rigs the vote his way he could easily jump Dragon... and Cachorro.