DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

This is not the most helpful answer, but they would call it "WrestleMania XXX at El Toreo de Cuatro Caminos" or at Palacio de los Deportes or whatever.

Here's the poster for a card in late 1984 in el Toreo; there's not a mention of the UWA, but a fan would know it's a UWA show because it's their home venue. This is an magazine ad for a 1989 card, and those seemed to have big headers for UWA or EMLL, but only for the major shows of the week and you're left to work out the promotion for the rest of the shows.

There were some venues which ran both promotions frequently. Pista Arena Revolucion probably ran the most of both shows. At least in this lineup, they still didn't feel the need to specify which group was running (but it's obviously a UWA show based on who's wrestling.)

These are all 80s examples, where the promotions were at peace with eahc other and sharing names for occasional shows, and maybe it was differnet in the prior couple of decades. I think they would tend to choose the UWA name if they were hyping a show in an unusual location, but would most often actually use the "[event name] at El Toreo" since most of the big events of the happened there.

(OJ probably has a better answer.)

Looks like all 3 links go to the same image...

Thanks for the info. Continuing the same line of questioning, is there a time when the EMLL shows all start being promoted as CMLL? Or, has it always been EMLL shows being touted as CMLL shows?

This one's easier - they announced on TV (on or around September 7, 1991) they were switching the name to CMLL. There's actually a recap on RSPW mentioning it. People still hung onto the old name for a long time.

The big public idea was CMLL was replacing the NWA, and the Arena Mexico EMLL was supposed to just be the most powerful promotion in the group. They held a CMLL conference or two with other local promoters from across the country (who had already been affilated with EMLL), but that part was an Antonio Pena concept and went away when he left as well. Pena got more of it than CMLL did, since he was using those secretly using those conferences to get local promoters to go with him when he started AAA.

• Like 1

Question regarding UWA and LLI. I keep reading that the promotion is actually called LLI, but most people call it UWA because that was the name of the fictional sanctioning body. So, to use an example, WWE has WrestleMania XXX coming up and that event is going to be called WWE WrestleMania XXX. If UWA/LLI had WrestleMania XXX coming up, would it be called UWA WrestleMania XXX or LLI WrestleMania XXX?

As Cubsfan said, the bills usually advertise the venue. For many fans, UWA/LLI was simply known as los independientes. In the early 90s, the bills started using both UWA and LLI in the header.

programaastrodeoroenmexfe2.jpg

True. I always like DA best when I watch those 6-woman tags. Just teasing about looking up Estrellita matches. I certainly like her well enough, but daresay I wouldn't seek out an Estrellita match specifically.

On another note: That Rush/Casas match that opened this thread. The link is dead. Anyone have a current link? Or just a date, so I can look it up myself? I am intrigued, and I watched zero Rasslin in any language in 2013.

Negro Casas was so awesome coming down to the ring with Blue Panther in the first round of the parejas incredibles tournament. Panther's all wary and Negro just wraps his arm around him with a huge shit eating grin on his face.

2gtpy03.png

In typical CMLL style they just aired the Torneo Cibernetico qualifier for participants in En Busca De Un Idolo live on Terra. It was an all-time memorable spotfest. I counted 26 dives off the top of my head and that's just from what I remember. Match went about 30 minutes and never slowed down. Praying they air it unedited on Cadena Tres this Saturday.

Final 8 ended up being: Hechicero (!!!), Soberano Jr., Cavernario, Super Halcon Jr., Cachorro, Dragon Lee II, Guerrero Negro Jr. & in somewhat of a surprise - Star Jr.

Tournament will be taking place live on Terra over the next 2 months on Tuesdays & Fridays.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
el Mundo de Los Luchadores: Admission
DC Fairgrounds • Washington, DC

Sunday, May 4 – 2:00PM

What you get

One GA or VIP Ticket to el Mundo de Los Luchadores
    Watch Live Lucha Libre!
    Enjoy Mexican Street Food, Live Music by Escarioka, DJ G-Flux Live, Mural Painting & More

Celebrate Cinco de Mayo this year by watching live lucha libre, or Mexican professional wrestling. See the glimmer of their colorful masks as wrestlers Pequeno Pierroth, Sangra de Aguila, Hijo de Dr. Wagner, and Hijo de La Park spin through the ring; smell the traditional Mexican street food; and dance to the beat of live music when you attend el Mundo de Los Luchadores -- the world of Mexican pro wrestling -- presented by Art Whino. Head to Navy Yard on Sunday, May 4 for a full day of excitement, including a Mexican-inspired live mural painting, an art exhibit that lets you get up close and personal with the masks of the luchadores, tropical punk music of Escarioka, and more.

Ticket offers available, based on purchase date:
• $15 ($40 value) for one admission when purchased between March 27 and April 14
• $20 ($40 value) for one admission when purchased between April 14 and May 2

OR

$50 ($100 value) for one VIP ticket, including:
• Aerial view of the ring
• Access to private bar, seating, and cocktail tables

https://www.livingsocial.com/events/cities/1-washington-d-c/1051819-el-mundo-de-los-luchadores-admission?ref=XUA0000COMJ000000000000ENUS0000000000000021052012&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=1225267&utm_content=3724478&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.1225267

• 2 weeks later...