DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

My first solid memory of watching basketball was the Duke/UK game from 1992. Oddly although Laettner is my all time favorite men's player I hate Duke with a fiery passion. That to me is far more inexplicable.

Ah yes, the legendary game where the refs went into full-on Duke blindess mode and ignored Laettner stomping on a guy instead of kicking him out of the game. Ugh.
Man, I hate Duke but I'm a U of L alumni so my hatred of UK is palpable. I was watching that game at the bar and wanted both teams to lose somehow. Then the stomp occurred and I was solidly all for UK and furious how they got fucked.

Which reinforces my strong belief that we should have a specific NBA hall of fame, and not the more nebulous Basketball Hall of Fame.

(Mostly because I hate Laettner.)

Not that it matters much, as it seems like EVERYONE gets in the basketball hall of fame. I know people with more in depth knowledge of basketball history can name drop a few people, but is there anyone in NBA history on the same lines as TIm Raines? Or the infielders from the TIgers(Trammel/Whitaker) or any number of other baseball guys? Or TIm Brown from the NFL? Just curious, as the last guy that seemed to be on that level, Bernard King, finally got in. . . 

The basketball HOF is weird as fuck. There are some guys who will never ever be in but really should be, especially compared to who already is in and they make some guys wait forever in comparison to lesser players who get in quicker. Lots of mind boggling decisions and voting rarely makes sense. Spencer Haywood not being in yet is probably my biggest issue with the Hall. It makes zero sense at this point why they continue to make him wait other than I think the NBA hates him.

• 4 weeks later...

ESPN Just announced that starting Oct 7 it will have 6 more new ones.

And then in Dec - The U, Part 2

The upcoming slate will kick off with “Playing for the Mob,” which delves into how mobster Henry Hill once helped orchestrate the fixing of Boston College basketball games. The film is narrated by actor Ray Liotta, who played Hill in the iconic movie “Goodfellas.” Other film topics include: the 1989 San Francisco earthquake shortly before Game 3 of the World Series; the rise, fall and maturation of former Oklahoma All-American linebacker Brian Bosworth; and the incredible story of Livan and Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez, half-brothers who escaped Cuba separately and quickly made themselves into star pitchers in the major leagues. “Brothers in Exile” will premiere in Spanish on ESPN Deportes on Saturday, Nov. 1, at 9 p.m. ET.

Additionally, actor Michael Rapaport takes a look back at the championship teams of the New York Knicks in his film “When The Garden Was Eden,” which premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival this year; and “Rand University” will explore the enigma that is former NFL star Randy Moss by going back to where he came from – Rand, West Virginia.

“The U Part 2″ will debut after the Heisman Trophy presentation in December, making it the first 30 for 30 sequel. “The U,” a chronicle of the rise of the University of Miami football program in the 1980s, was one of the first 30 for 30 films, and subsequently became ESPN’s most-watched documentary film in history up to that point. In “The U Part 2,” director Billy Corben picks up where his original film left off, with Miami trying to recover from the devastation left by NCAA sanctions and scandals.

30 for 30 films will air on ESPN as follows (all times ET):
Tuesday, Oct.7, 9 p.m. – “Playing for the Mob”
Tuesday, Oct. 14, 10 p.m. – “The Day The Series Stopped”
Tuesday, Oct. 21, 9 p.m. – “When The Garden Was Eden”
Tuesday, Oct. 28, 9 p.m. – “Brian and The Boz”
Tuesday, Nov. 4, 9 p.m. – “Brothers in Exile”
Tuesday, Nov. 11, 8 p.m. – “Rand University”
Saturday, Dec. 13, 9 p.m. – “The U Part 2”

The only one of those I don't give a shit about is the Knicks one. The other six look excellent.

I would have more interest in the Knicks one if it wasn't directed by Michael Rappaport

Just caught the one on the Ali/Holmes fight for the first time and man, it's not that easy a watch. I mean it's not like it's any great secret Ali was too far past his best and that he got destroyed, but to see all the buildup and just how slow and out of it he seems in his training at points... it's pretty sad.

If you haven't watched the "It's Time" SEC Storied special on the Chucky Mullins story then you really need to.  Such an incredibly sad story not just for Mullins who ended up dying from the hit but Brad Gaines who is a completely tortured soul whose only crime was that he took the helmet in the back that caused Chucky to get paralyzed.    

The one on The U is so weird. A bunch of complete racist idiots sitting around bitching about having to deal with racist idiots.

Really not much else to take away from that one. A great football program but really highlights how far we still have to go in many areas.

I have no idea how this is what you took away from this documentary. I thought it was a bunch of young guys from outside the predominate culture went to a school and became the most identifiable representation of that institution. How exactly were the players racist? I haven't watched it in a while, but from what I remember they didn't say anything about anyone else's race at all.

• 3 weeks later...

The new 30 for 30, The Day the Series Stopped is unsurprisingly awesome.

But I really never need to see another Will Clark interview reaffirming that my childhood baseball hero is a total douchebag.

• Like 1