DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

Buster had skills but rarely showed heart or the desire to get his ass into shape except for that fight.  I always figured Razor Ruddock was pissed because that should have been him.  He was supposed to fight Tyson months before but Mike pulled out with a dodgy excuse.  You can't discount the effect Tyson's personal life had on him.  It's astonishing how much he regressed post Spinks

42 To 1 was totally fascinating.  The movie did indeed focus on Buster's natural gifts and talent.  

I really didn't get the impression that Buster quit out because he didn't have work ethic because when he was motivated, he beat the living shit out of guys and picked them apart like a fucking surgeon.

I just think he realized early on that he didn't want to spend his life chasing an elusive lifestyle that required him to sacrifice his health in order to achieve it.  He got his big payday and bounced with his brain cells intact, he still has the ability to earn an honest living well into his past-prime years, and he is one of only a couple of human beings that can say he was the Unified World Boxing Champion.

He's got nothing to be ashamed of.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

I always figured Razor Ruddock was pissed because that should have been him. 

Eh, Tyson took Ruddock far more seriously than he took Buster.  I think Tyson would've properly prepared for Razor and beat him.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

It's astonishing how much he regressed post Spinks

After Spinks, Tyson destroyed both Frank Bruno and Carl Williams in under five minutes.

Tyson spent more time in the ring with Buster in the first three of the fight than he did in the ring with his previous three opponents

His personal life was in a shambles by the time he fought Buster, but Mike still managed to either put guys away convincingly or win fights until the ill fated title defense against Holyfield after he obliterated Bruce Seldon and Frank Bruno (again....).

That's when you really saw the wheels come off.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 10:54 AM, J.T. said:

Eh, Tyson took Ruddock far more seriously than he took Buster.  I think Tyson would've properly prepared for Razor and beat him.

After Spinks, Tyson destroyed both Frank Bruno and Carl Williams in under five minutes.

Tyson spent more time in the ring with Buster in the first three of the fight than he did in the ring with his previous three opponents

His personal life was in a shambles by the time he fought Buster, but Mike still managed to either put guys away convincingly or win fights until the ill fated title defense against Holyfield after he obliterated Bruce Seldon and Frank Bruno (again....).

That's when you really saw the wheels come off.

Meh it took him 5 rounds to take Bruno out and I found it to be a sloppy effort.  Williams had been exposed as having a softer beard than a hipster barista.  Even then the ref stopped it early.  Too much happened too to Tyson too soon.  From 1986-91 was a chaotic ride for a guy that was illequipped to handle it

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a subscription to ESPN+ and watched the 30 for 30 on Junior Seau and man this is hard to watch.  Never mind how great he was on the field but the story of how he changed.  He went from this happy, full of energy, helpful, and family loving person to this depressed, unmotivated,  and confused person who was emotionally helter skelter to everyone in his life.   While he might have been more of a party guy during the end of his life, it is impossible to blame it on alcohol or drugs.   The story of the amount of damage he took in his career even a story where he hit someone so hard with this helmet that it cracked a helmet.    Also combined with a dad who didn't show much love to him even blaming him partly for the loss of the Super Bowl against the Niners.    One of the sadder 30 for 30 in a long time

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I forgot how much of an asshole Tim McCarver was towards Deion.

I'm not exactly saying Deion was right to throw the water at him, but I can see why he did it. The guy was being a relentless dick towards him for days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Man, I forgot how much of an asshole Tim McCarver was towards Deion.

I'm not exactly saying Deion was right to throw the water at him, but I can see why he did it. The guy was being a relentless dick towards him for days.

The part that I don't get is there were at least three different Brave players interviewed at that time who said its no big deal were all behind Deion. And yet the media made it out to be a club house issue. 

Either purposefully or not, the 30 for 30 didn't find a single teammate from either the Braves or the Falcons who had a problem with it. But the Braves front office and, oh boy, the media sure did.

3 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

The part that I don't get is there were at least three different Brave players interviewed at that time who said its no big deal were all behind Deion. And yet the media made it out to be a club house issue. 

The CBS Baseball crew was just repeating what Braves GM John Schuerholz was telling them to say. 

I wonder how a head coach that wasn’t Jerry Glanville would have handled it on the Falcons side, he was the perfect head coach for that situation. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Enjoyed the Dennis Rodman one that debuted this week.  Really amazing how with all the craziness Rodman has gone through that he is kind of did a 360 to what he was as a kid being lonely and just awkward with his parents.  Didn't think the last thing we would see if Dennis crying about what he is now.   Also great to see how many former Pistons still love the guy.  Even had Jordan talk about him and what it took to get him to the team.    No mention of his WCW stuff by the way.  

Also if you are into sports podcasts I would definitely recommend the new 30 for 30 5 part series on the Donald Sterling affair and racist calls that ended him with the Clippers.  The first 2 or 3 parts talk about Sterling the person before the incident and holy fuck even without the racist comments he is a horrible person who should have been kicked out years ago.  The stories of how he treated his players (especially the black ones) more like property to impress rich people.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone listened to the 30 for 30 podcast about Donald Sterling?  I knew Donald Sterling is/was a creepy ass racist, but I had no fucking clue how much of a creepy ass racist he is/was.  Some of the court transcripts made my skin crawl.  He was just saying creepy ass perverted answers to yes or no questions.  

• 6 months later...

Three new "30 for 30" specials coming once The Last Dance is over with.

Sunday, 24 May and Sunday, 31 May - Lance, a two-part documentary on Lance Armstrong

Sunday, 7 June - Be Water, about Bruce Lee

Sunday, 14 June - Long Gone Summer, about the 1998 McGwire/Sosa home run duel

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-films-will-roll-out-three-new-30-for-30s-in-may-and-june.html

• Like 1

Not a ton of interest in the first one, the second one is real nice leading into the Criterion Lee boxset the next month.

I'm not a the biggest baseball fan, but I'm really excited for the Big Mac/Sosa one. It'll be really fun to watch how the coolest, most fun, and most important summer in the last 30 years of baseball has been retroactively downgraded to unimportant and cheating scandals.

(Don't let anyone tell you that Ripken breaking the iron man record or the Yankees dynasty brought baseball back. It was all the home run chase, and nobody ever claimed otherwise until years later.)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 11:58 PM, Brian Fowler said:

(Don't let anyone tell you that Ripken breaking the iron man record or the Yankees dynasty brought baseball back. It was all the home run chase, and nobody ever claimed otherwise until years later.)

I don't get how anyone gave a rat's ass about Cal Ripken playing all those games in a row.  I'm not all that impressed by perfect attendance.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 2:18 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

ESPN clearly did not understand why people liked The Last Dance.

I know that Tom Brady is considered the GOAT quarterback, but as far as greatest football player ever I'd like to see a 10-part documentary on...Jim Brown is kind of the only choice.

• 2 weeks later...