DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

• 2 weeks later...

I would really recommend the Baltimore Boys film that premiered last night.  It is the story about the legendary Dunbar HS team from 1981 - 1983 that featured such NBA players as Mugsy Bogues, Reggie Williams, David Wingate, and Reggie Lewis (who was bench on these teams).   Considered one of the greatest high school teams.   Shows their history of all the guys including the tragedy of how Reggie died.   Really great stuff

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So the next one coming up is about the replacement players during the NFL strike of 1987.  Watching the preview man I knew some of the stuff was hardcore from watching the Redskins Americas Game from that year.  But man Chiefs playing riding in the back of pick up trucks with rifles in their hands. 

Well that is an interesting question at the end of the show.  Should the replacement players who didn't get signed have gotten a super Bowl ring in 1987?   They were 3 -0 beating division opponents like the Giants and the Cowboys (who had most star players).   I mean if office employees can get one why can't the players get one  <_<

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Add Meltzer and Alvarez to the list of people who say the Flair 30 for 30 is a tough watch because of the Reid stuff.

Meltzer said he wasn't surprised that he ended up being cut because he said of all the stuff he was asked about - none of it was about Reid and it was clear they decided that was the focus they wanted to make the documentary about.

• 4 weeks later...

Started listening to some of their 30 for 30 podcast and some pretty good ones.  The one about Phil Ivey is fascinating from a gambling standpoint. 

Listening to the new one on how Wrigley Field ended up getting lights and it is really funny.  had no idea that they were actually threatening to move the Cubs out of Wrigley Field in the mid 80's if they didn't get lights.  Something I can't even imagine.   Also a bonus that it features the uncensored version legendary Lee Ellia rave out that is a requirement for any sports fan :lol:

12 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Started listening to some of their 30 for 30 podcast and some pretty good ones.  The one about Phil Ivey is fascinating from a gambling standpoint. 

Listening to the new one on how Wrigley Field ended up getting lights and it is really funny.  had no idea that they were actually threatening to move the Cubs out of Wrigley Field in the mid 80's if they didn't get lights.  Something I can't even imagine.   Also a bonus that it features the uncensored version legendary Lee Ellia rave out that is a requirement for any sports fan :lol:

I just listened to that one today. So, what I'm surprised they didn't do was reference how history repeated itself not only a few years ago.

So, a few years ago, the fight to get a video board really heated up. The same opponents of the lights all those years ago, namely Beth Murphy, was also an opponent of the video board. Many of the same arguments used back then for the lights were used again to fight the video board. In the 80s there was a threat to move the team to Schaumberg. A few years ago, plans were discussed to move the team to Rosemont with a replica of the ballpark.

So many assholes, again, mainly Beth Murphy, wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They said the video board would be too bright, that it would be too loud, they mentioned that there would be an increase in crime, but they fought it not because it would really make the neighborhood worse - they fought it because it would impact their own businesses, which were rooftops and bars. They're all the worst "fans" because they're all bigger fans of themselves and not the team that they were basically making money off of. And once again they realized that they were going to kill the golden goose by fighting the video board because it might cause the team to move, but they kept fighting it anyway.

And once again, they all lost.

Anyway, the funniest part was at the end with Rick Sutcliffe talking about how MLB wanted the first pitch thrown to be a strike and to go into Cooperstown. It couldn't be hit and it couldn't be a ball and there was a plan in place to make it happen. That's all I'll say because the story of what actually happens is hilarious if you weren't already familiar or never saw the 8/8/88 game.

• 2 months later...

Watched the "The Two Bills" and thought it was pretty good.  The whole period from 1997 - 2001 involving the Pats and the Jets is an amazing clusterfuck.   The idea of being a 2 time head coach and never playing one game is probably never going to happen.   You can totally see how both of them are very similar.    The really interesting thing is apparently Kraft's first choice of head coach was Dom Kapers from the Panthers.  Luckily for them he missed his flight because of weather issues.   Can you imagine how different history would have been

The next 30 for 30 is about the last couple years of Bobby Knight in Indiana.   Man I hope that is 2 hours long because that could be a top 5 one.

16 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The next 30 for 30 is about the last couple years of Bobby Knight in Indiana.   Man I hope that is 2 hours long because that could be a top 5 one.

Having lived thru some of that, luckily not the very end, including being the sports editor of the Daily Student, it might give me bad flashbacks.  

On 2/2/2018 at 6:28 PM, hammerva said:

The really interesting thing is apparently Kraft's first choice of head coach was Dom Kapers from the Panthers.  Luckily for them he missed his flight because of weather issues.   Can you imagine how different history would have been

I feel like Capers would have looked outside the organization for a qb to replace Bledsoe, instead of committing to Brady.

I occasionally wonder how different NFL history would be if Bledsoe doesn't doesn't get hurt in 2001.  For that matter, my hometown Steelers thought Big Ben was a longterm project who might be able to succeed Tommy Maddox after a couple years.  Then Maddox got hurt.  Yeah, the Maddox era might have lasted a few more years if Maddox hadn't sprained his elbow.  I blame Vince McMahon for the Maddox years. 

That is the only thing about the XFL that I am grateful for because without that we don't get Tommy Maddox and without Maddox we get 2 years of Kordell Stewart as starting QB and after the AFC championship game against the Patriots he was a mental basket case.  So eventually Ben would have gotten there but maybe not in 2004

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/14/2018 at 3:37 PM, hammerva said:

They are also doing one on the Tyson/Douglas fight and the day Deion Sanders played football and baseball on the same day

I'd like one on Deion Sanders like the one they had on Bo Jackson.  If Bo Jackson is Paul Bunyon, Deion Sanders is John Henry.  They are both almost mythically athletic in a way that I don't really know if there is a current comparison to either of them.  

On 9/17/2018 at 10:27 AM, supremebve said:

I'd like one on Deion Sanders like the one they had on Bo Jackson.  If Bo Jackson is Paul Bunyon, Deion Sanders is John Henry.  They are both almost mythically athletic in a way that I don't really know if there is a current comparison to either of them.  

Standing backflip in waist-deep water.  Standing.  Backflip.  In.  Waist.  Deep.  Water.

Bo Jackson was not human.

• Like 2

Just now, Tabe said:

Standing backflip in waist-deep water.  Standing.  Backflip.  In.  Waist.  Deep.  Water.

Bo Jackson was not human.

Deion Sanders was the best player on the football, baseball, and track team at Florida State.  He played one game of a doubleheader, ran a leg in the 4X100, and then played another baseball game on the same day.  He claims he would have been the best player on the basketball team, he just didn't have time to play.  He used to show up to football practice in a limousine because he was already making professional baseball money.  He wasn't a scholarship football player, he was a walk-on.  He pulled up to the combine in a limousine, put down his bag ran a 4.3 40, looked at his time jogged back to the line and ran a 4.27 then without stopping, ran out of the stadium and went home.  Unlike Bo, who used to play baseball until the season was over then played football.  Deion played simultaneously...he hit a home run and scored a touchdown in the same week.  All of those things are confirmed, the legend that he ran a sub 5.0 40 in a backpedal, ran a 4.3 in dress shoes, and was once timed running a sub 4.2 may or may not have happened.  All of that doesn't even take into account how much personality he showed while doing all of this craziness.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, supremebve said:

Deion Sanders was the best player on the football, baseball, and track team at Florida State.  He played one game of a doubleheader, ran a leg in the 4X100, and then played another baseball game on the same day.  He claims he would have been the best player on the basketball team, he just didn't have time to play.  He used to show up to football practice in a limousine because he was already making professional baseball money.  He wasn't a scholarship football player, he was a walk-on.  He pulled up to the combine in a limousine, put down his bag ran a 4.3 40, looked at his time jogged back to the line and ran a 4.27 then without stopping, ran out of the stadium and went home.  Unlike Bo, who used to play baseball until the season was over then played football.  Deion played simultaneously...he hit a home run and scored a touchdown in the same week.  All of those things are confirmed, the legend that he ran a sub 5.0 40 in a backpedal, ran a 4.3 in dress shoes, and was once timed running a sub 4.2 may or may not have happened.  All of that doesn't even take into account how much personality he showed while doing all of this craziness.

Yeah, Deion is another guy whose exploits read like the made-up stuff you'd hear about guys from the 1930s.  Just insanely athletic.

• 2 months later...