DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

I watched the Bills one will cooped up during the storm. It can be really depressing as fuck. My wife was half-watching it with me and knows nothing about football so it was amusing when they hit the 4th fall and she just blurts out ARE THEY GOING TO LOSE FOUR IN A ROW?!?!?!?!

• Like 2

My fondest wish is for someone to do one on the Whalers and their enduring legacy (for starters an insane amount of people who played for us went on to coaching success).

Really great 30 for 30 on the 85 Bears. Ā Was really surprised how lucid and clear Jim McMahon is on this given his brain issues. Ā Mongo is just typical Mongo which is awesome. Ā  You can tell the guy loved Buddy Ryan to death and still do visiting him in his state

Ā 

But man they destroy Doug Flutie on this thing. Ā Calling him a midget and saying they would have made the SB with Jeff Fuller or Mike Tomczak as the starting QB which I really doubt given how tough that Giants D was

How is real life Mongo better at being a pro wrestler than he was when he was a pro wrestler.Ā  His story about being called Bam Bam because he was a strip club bouncer who carried a baseball bat is better than anything he ever did on Nitro.

Really great 30 for 30 on the 85 Bears. Was really surprised how lucid and clear Jim McMahon is on this given his brain issues. Mongo is just typical Mongo which is awesome. You can tell the guy loved Buddy Ryan to death and still do visiting him in his state

But man they destroy Doug Flutie on this thing. Calling him a midget and saying they would have made the SB with Jeff Fuller or Mike Tomczak as the starting QB which I really doubt given how tough that Giants D was

Well, they WERE 7-0 with Tomczak in 86...

Just finished watching the '85 Bears one. I barely held it together at the end. Everyone in this one was great (the Flutie burial had me rolling), but Mike Singletary really put it over the top. I think part of the problem (especially when people aren't able to speak for themselves or decline to be interviewed) with a good amount of 30 for 30s is people become almost mythical figures. Everyone tosses around superlatives like no one's business. However, in this one, Singletary really spoke from the heart and was able to put into context Buddy Ryan's contribution to not only his career and that '85 team but his contribution to help make Mike Singletary the man that he is. I really haven't seen anything like that since Tyson talked about Cus D'Amato in the Tyson doc a few years back. You get a bit down that Singletary can't really have that communication with him to accurately convey to Buddy how eternally grateful he is.

Ā 

I am also a bit sad that the narrative of Fridge getting that Super Bowl TD over Walter Payton still persists. It's very bittersweet considering both of those guys were two of my childhood heroes. Payton was a local legend (one of the great three Mississippi had between Rice and Favre or four if you count Archie Manning), and everyone wanted to be Refrigerator Perry when we played football outside.Ā 

Ā 

Jim McMahon's Taco Bell endorsement was tremendous. This can't be said enough.

Ā 

I'm glad they manned up and went into the CTE thing with Duerson and McMahon. They could have omitted all of that and just left it be. When you watch how downright frightening these dudes played (especially Richard Dent out there hitting tag team finishers by himself), it would be a bit egregious to act like all everyone had to deal with is some aches and pains.

Apart from theĀ The Two Escobars, has there been another one on soccer?. There's tons of subject matter that could fill an entire 30 for 30 series on their own- Sir Alex and his Man Utd dynasty, Eric Cantona, Liverpool's run of success in the 70's/80s, Brian Clough & Peter Taylor, '66 World Cup, Gazza, Sir Bobby Robson, Malcolm Allison among others. Maybe ESPN should make soccer documentaries exclusive for the UK audience. Maybe ones about Cloughie and the bigger characters in soccer would translate well over to the US audience too.Ā 

Apart from the The Two Escobars, has there been another one on soccer?. There's tons of subject matter that could fill an entire 30 for 30 series on their own- Sir Alex and his Man Utd dynasty, Eric Cantona, Liverpool's run of success in the 70's/80s, Brian Clough & Peter Taylor, '66 World Cup, Gazza, Sir Bobby Robson, Malcolm Allison among others. Maybe ESPN should make soccer documentaries exclusive for the UK audience. Maybe ones about Cloughie and the bigger characters in soccer would translate well over to the US audience too.

They did a whole series of them:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30#List_of_30_for_30:_Soccer_Stories_films

The Hillsborough one is off the charts great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very good 30 for 30 on the Duke Lacrosse trial. Ā  Man knew that the case was flimsy but that it was completely negligent to the point that DiFong went to jail was something

Ā 

Next one is about the Orlando Magic team of Shaq and Penny. Ā Can't wait for that because I remember that period when I absolutely loved Charlotte and Orlando NBA teams

Very good 30 for 30 on the Duke Lacrosse trial. Ā  Man knew that the case was flimsy but that it was completely negligent to the point that DiFong went to jail was something

Ā 

Next one is about the Orlando Magic team of Shaq and Penny. Ā Can't wait for that because I remember that period when I absolutely loved Charlotte and Orlando NBA teams

The "Gang of 88" members that signed the letter that outright slandered those players still, apparently, don't feel bad about what they did, either.

Ā 

Fuck those people in the neck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Checked off a long overdue box and finally watched Pony Excess

And it is just as fucking good as advertisedĀ 

The fact that they didn't include the fact that someone offered Eric Dickerson an oil well to go to their school makes me think it was incomplete. Ā 

It would have been another two hours if they included all the shit guys were getting

I did appreciate Dickerson keeping up kayfabe.

"My grandma totally bought this gold corvette!"

Pony Excess might still be my favorite 30 for 30. You watch the interviews with some of the people from theĀ non-SMU schools and they're basically like, "Cheating? FUCK YEAH we were cheating!"

If/when the Big 12 finally falls apart, they need to try to bring back the Southwest Conference. I know you'd never get Arkansas and LSU back, but still.

So if you liked watching the "Four Days in October" 30 for 30 specialĀ on the 2004 Red Sox coming back from 3-0 to beat the Yankees, you probably won't like it much now because apparently they have wiped out the Game 6 game and the sockĀ from memory. Ā  So basically Curt Schilling is ESPN's version of Chris Benoit as of now

Ā