DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

He's got a point, though. That punch by Shavers would have dropped an elephant.

I was in Las Vegas around 2012 and wandered by a memorabilia store where Ernie was signing autographs.  To the annoyance of my wife, I had to go in and meet him.  What really struck me was when I shook his hand - this wasn't the gigantic canned ham fist of a heavyweight slugger.  It was a regular, large but not freakishly so hand.  I was legitimately stunned.

I was in Las Vegas around 2012 and wandered by a memorabilia store where Ernie was signing autographs.  To the annoyance of my wife, I had to go in and meet him.  What really struck me was when I shook his hand - this wasn't the gigantic canned ham fist of a heavyweight slugger.  It was a regular, large but not freakishly so hand.  I was legitimately stunned.

Has anyone ever been to the Boxing Hall of Fame?  They have a cast of a lot of boxer's fists on display, and you'll be amazed how huge some of those guys hands were.  Sonny Liston's fist looked like three of mine. 

I just saw that punch for the first time. Made me think of the scene from Blazing Saddles when Mongo throws a punch so hard he knocks out a horse.

I just saw that punch for the first time. Made me think of the scene from Blazing Saddles when Mongo throws a punch so hard he knocks out a horse.

Allegedly based on Sid Caesar punching a horse in central park.

I still want to know how the hell Holmes got up from the knockdown in the 7th round of the second Shavers fight.

Look at how tired and arm-weary Shavers was that round.  After Larry got up Shavers was winging arm punches that missed by a good foot or more.  

Holmes had great recovery skills too, which is good because he got knocked down a lot in his career.  20 seconds after the knockdown he was moving and jabbing like nothing had happened.  

Larry didnt get knocked down that much in his career.  Especially if you take away that joke of a knockdown Butterbean was credited with.  I always say Larry ranked near the top of all time heavyweights for his chin and his ability to recover quickly and rally when he got buzzed

It's such a shocking, thudding sound.

Probably would have knocked out any heavyweight not named Ali or Holmes.  They asked Holmes about it once and he said it felt like what it probably feels like when you get struck by lightning.  Watch Shavers belt Ali in the second or third round of their fight.  Muhammed was lit up and was lucky his overselling slowed Earnie down

I still want to know how the hell Holmes got up from the knockdown in the 7th round of the second Shavers fight.

Look at how tired and arm-weary Shavers was that round.  After Larry got up Shavers was winging arm punches that missed by a good foot or more.  

Holmes had great recovery skills too, which is good because he got knocked down a lot in his career.  20 seconds after the knockdown he was moving and jabbing like nothing had happened.  

Larry didnt get knocked down that much in his career.  Especially if you take away that joke of a knockdown Butterbean was credited with.  I always say Larry ranked near the top of all time heavyweights for his chin and his ability to recover quickly and rally when he got buzzed

I remember watching Larry get knocked down by Renaldo Snipes (who?) which surprised the hell out of everyone.  I thought Tim Witherspoon knocked him down too, but it looks like I'm mis-remembering a fight where Witherspoon certainly did give Larry a bit of a hiding in a few rounds.  

Larry is an all-time great heavyweight, period.  He's an easy top-10 guy and I'd argue a top-5.  

• 2 weeks later...

Since we don't have a general sports documentary thread there are a couple that you definitely need to check on:

The latest Timeline on basically history of the New Giants from the time they moved from New York to Jersey was great.  Knew a little that they weren't going to have a SB parade in New York but had no idea the pettiness of New York.   Tells you alot about the hatred between NY and New Jersey.  

The latest MLB Network present was a story about Lenny Randle called "The Most Interesting Man in the World".  For such an average player he was involved in some amazing events like 10 cent beer night, the blackout in NY, the infamous blowing of the baseball foul, and how he is a legend in Italy.   Really recommend it.   Next one is about the Astrodome which could be interesting as well

• 2 weeks later...

Good a place as any to put this...

If you have not watched "Iran Job" on Netflix, I highly recommend it. It follows Kevin Sheppard as he spends a year in Iran playing professional basketball. You get a great look at the Iranian culture and Kevin himself seems like a cool dude.

Anyway, check it out.

We get most of the 30 for 30's on the UK equivalent of ESPN, but don't think they've aired the "Chasing Tyson" & one about the Bills yet. Unless they did and I've missed them?. Most recent new one which was shown was the Prince of Pennsylvania (Foxcatcher related). I was watching one earlier which was "Survive & Advance" about NC State and IMO it's definitely one of the best 30 for 30s, shame it didn't have a happier ending. 

Some New Ones coming out

“The ’85 Bears,” directed by Emmy Award winner Jason Hehir (“The Fab Five”) and executive produced by Vince Vaughn and Peter Billingsley, will look at perhaps the most famous football team of all-time – the Super Bowl XX champion Chicago Bears – on the 30th anniversary of their epic triumph. The birth of Buddy Ryan’s 46 Defense, the sweet-revenge victory over the 49ers, the loss to the Dolphins that ruined their perfect season and the “Super Bowl Shuffle” that was filmed the day after, are all topics explored in this film about a group of misfits who became the toast of football.

“Fantastic Lies” will return to the night of March 13, 2006, when Duke University lacrosse players threw a team party that ended up changing lives, ruining careers, tarnishing a university’s reputation and even jeopardizing the future of the sport at the school. The film, from acclaimed director Marina Zenovich (“Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired”), will premiere on the 10th anniversary of the party that ignited what became a national firestorm and resulted in a highly-charged legal investigation. Usually confined to the sports section, lacrosse suddenly appeared on the front pages of newspapers because of the lurid details of the case and the hot buttons that it pushed: sex, race, class, violence.

Also this year, ESPN Films will debut the group’s most ambitious project to date, “OJ: Made in America.” The five-part documentary is a miniseries event and the first episodic documentary by ESPN Films, starting a new chapter for the 30 for 30 brand. Directed by Peabody and Emmy winner Ezra Edelman, “OJ: Made in America” examines the history of race over the last several decades through the lens of OJ Simpson’s rise and fall.

ESPN tried to get OJ for that one but he wouldn't talk

Additionally, revealed plans for an April 30 for 30 highlighting the mid-90s Orlando Magic teams with a documentary produced by teammates Shaquille O’Neal and Penny Hardaway (which hopefully spends a lot of time on Blue Chips). There will also be a summer film from Judd Apatow and Michael Bonfiglio on the relationship between Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden.

Isn't there supposedly going to be one about Ric Flair too, or is that for their ESPN shorts series?. The Orlando Magic one I'll definitely check out. Haven't seen the Bills one in the TV listings yet, but will check it out when it's aired. ESPN/BT in the UK seem to be just repeating older one's at the moment. The Legend of Jimmy the Greek and Brian & The Boz are the next ones they are showing. They were supposed to show the one about the Baltimore Colts band but they showed something totally different instead. Most recent one I've watched is There's No Place like Home about the NBA rules. Also watched some of the U about Miami University, once they air the sequel will check that out too. 

“Fantastic Lies” will return to the night of March 13, 2006, when Duke University lacrosse players threw a team party that ended up changing lives, ruining careers, tarnishing a university’s reputation and even jeopardizing the future of the sport at the school. The film, from acclaimed director Marina Zenovich (“Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired”), will premiere on the 10th anniversary of the party that ignited what became a national firestorm and resulted in a highly-charged legal investigation. Usually confined to the sports section, lacrosse suddenly appeared on the front pages of newspapers because of the lurid details of the case and the hot buttons that it pushed: sex, race, class, violence.

Wonder how many of the pieces of human garbage that tried to destroy those three kids they got to sit down to discuss the whole thing.

My guess is "not many."

• 3 weeks later...