DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

Didn't think this should be lumped with the "Sports TV Thread of Hate," since 30 for 30 is generally pretty good.

The next one comes out on Thursday, called "The Price of Gold." It's about the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan incident. Here's the picture the 30 for 30 Twitter account put out there to promote it. (Spoilered for size.)

Bd99kOHCUAA6W3L.jpg

So yeah. . .there you go.

I am of the opinion that this should have been the first 30 for 30 and if this happened during the internet era it would have been the biggest sports story ever.  I remember when it happened and even as a child I realized that this is about as crazy of a sports story possible.(I don't count anything with a death crazy, that is more tragic.)

If I'm not mistaken, that night they both competed during the Olympics is still the highest rated sporting event in US Television history that isn't a Super Bowl.  I think overall, the only non-sporting event that got higher ratings is the M*A*S*H Finale

I am of the opinion that this should have been the first 30 for 30 and if this happened during the internet era it would have been the biggest sports story ever.  I remember when it happened and even as a child I realized that this is about as crazy of a sports story possible.(I don't count anything with a death crazy, that is more tragic.)

The biggest sports story ever, if it were covered by the Twitterverse, would be Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich swapping wives/families.

We don't get a 30 For 30 on that - Arnold coming to America and Barry Bremen get relegated to shorts, and we get a full-length effing doc on Rotisserie Baseball instead!

!!!

The biggest sports story ever, if it were covered by the Twitterverse, would be Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich swapping wives/families.

We don't get a 30 For 30 on that - Arnold coming to America and Barry Bremen get relegated to shorts, and we get a full-length effing doc on Rotisserie Baseball instead!

!!!

I must have been the only person anywhere that actually liked the rotisserie baseball one. Everyone else seems to have a pretty significant dislike for it.

As far as ones they need to do, there's got to be one on the '86 Mets at some point, though it might need multiple parts.

!!!

Don't get me wrong the Peterson/Kekich thing would be huge and it would consume my life for months, but the only way you can beat the Harding/Kerrigan story is if a high draft pick from one of the major sports leagues hires someone to take a crowbar to the knee of another high draft pick.  These were the two best American figure skaters going into the Winter Olympics, this was as high profile as it could get without being in the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL.  The fact that Tonya Harding also turned out to be a batshit crazy, trainwreck of a person is just icing on the cake.

Sorry but if the OJ Bronco chase (hell the entire OJ trial) was during the twitter/facebook/instagram era it would easily have been the biggest sports story ever.   In my opnion.

Although an argument could made it was one of the biggest sports stories ever without social media.

Sorry but if the OJ Bronco chase (hell the entire OJ trial) was during the twitter/facebook/instagram era it would easily have been the biggest story ever.   In my opnion.

There are plenty of death stories that are bigger, OJ, Len Bias, Dale Earnhardt, etc.  Those are different, I'm talking about the crazy Te'O, Harding, and anything that happens with NBA players behind the scenes.  Something that you don't feel bad for making jokes about. 

Sorry but if the OJ Bronco chase (hell the entire OJ trial) was during the twitter/facebook/instagram era it would easily have been the biggest sports story ever.   In my opnion.

Although an argument could made it was one of the biggest sports stories ever without social media.

I still think it was at least here in the US. I'm not even sure what competes with it. Sports media may have over killed stories since then but this was covered by all media and for over a year. How long did it take that creep Jay Leno to stop opening with jokes about it? I suppose that Brazilian soccer player that was involved with a kidnapping murder may have received more coverage. Don't know enough about Brazil to know for sure but it would make sense.

I'm biased, but I think the best one is one that went from being a 30 for 30 docu and became a standalone docu instead, and that's Catching Hell. It was incredibly hard to re-watch all of that, but it offered a fresh perspective and I largely agree that the Cubs need to apologize to Bartman at some point.

Not going out on a limb, but id say the two escobars and the vlade/drazen doca were the two best docs.

I won't argue that, but I would say the two most rewatchable are The U and Broke.  I could watch The U every day for about 3 months before I got tired of it, but I'd only watch the how did these people have the audacity to ask for some of this shit part from Broke.

I'm biased, but I think the best one is one that went from being a 30 for 30 docu and became a standalone docu instead, and that's Catching Hell. It was incredibly hard to re-watch all of that, but it offered a fresh perspective and I largely agree that the Cubs need to apologize to Bartman at some point.

Moises Alou is the one who needs to apologize.  He started the whole nonsense with the finger pointing even though he later quietly admitted he couldn't have caught the ball anyway. 

I do agree that the Cubs should apologize too.

Everyone alive who had any issues with Bartman should apologize. Any sane person could see he did nothing worth even a small amount of the shit he got.

Moises Alou is the one who needs to apologize.  He started the whole nonsense with the finger pointing even though he later quietly admitted he couldn't have caught the ball anyway. 

Alou has gone back and forth on the matter. His most recent stance that I saw was that he would have made the catch. His temper tantrum though, certainly made matters worse because it made it look like Bartman committed a huge sin, and it spurned everyone around him to lash out, when they would have done the same exact thing. And yeah, I certainly feel bad about the things I said about Bartman and if I ever met him in person, I would apologize to him.

Be careful if Moises Alou is finger pointing. Don't get too close.

They split screen an actual major sporting event (the NBA finals) to cover a low speed car chase.  That was insane.