DVDVR Message Board

2014 WWE Hall Of Fame

BEN!

Sadly, this will probably be Warrior on his best behavior.

This is what I'm thinking. Look at all the game PR he just did. Even when people would bring up negative elements he's been very critical of, he was in PR mode. I can't see this being much different. Should still be good though. I think the bigger question is will he be in face paint? And as much as I'd like to see him do a running to the ring spot at Mania, all you have to do is watch him run to the ring in Spain 2008 to see it's not a pretty sight anymore - and that was 6 years ago on a much smaller aisle... If Warrior were to run to the ring, pull a muscle and collapse in agony whilst the camera roll and his theme music blares, a big part of my childhood would die. 

Did you miss Vince's limo driver being in the Hall of Fame or something? It's been bogus and political from the start.

This is a talking point that's been misconstrued over the years. Let's go to the research.

"James Dudley began working for Jess McMahon in the 1950s, when McMahon was a co-owner of the Capitol Wrestling Corporation. When McMahon and his partners broke away from the National Wrestling Alliance to form the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF) in 1963, Dudley continued to work for McMahon. Dudley performed many different jobs, from carrying buckets of waters to counting ticket sales. Dudley was a close friend of Vincent J. McMahon and continued working for the family when the younger McMahon took over the business from his father; in particular, he drove McMahon's limousine and served as his bodyguard.He has said that he thought of McMahon as a father figure.

McMahon later increased Dudley's responsibilities with the company several times, and eventually assigned him to manage Turner's Arena in Washington, D.C., which made Dudley the first African-American to hold such a position in the United States.His role required him to oversee several other events, including the Town and Country Jamboree television show.Dudley also managed several wrestlers, including Bobo Brazil. Prior to Brazil's matches, Dudley excited the crowds by waving a towel while running to the ring.Over time, Dudley's role with the company diminished and he ceased working for them; the company's operations were moved to Connecticut, and Turner's Arena was demolished. Shortly before McMahon's death in 1984, he told his son, Vincent K. McMahon, who had taken over control of the promotion (then known as the WWF), "Whatever else you do, you take care of James Dudley."After Vincent J. McMahon's death, Dudley was put back on the company payroll at age 74 and subsequently received several gifts from Vincent K. McMahon to show appreciation for Dudley's contributions to the company.Dudley has been described as an "important cog" in the company, and McMahon once stated that "had there been no James Dudley, the WWF possibly wouldn't exist as it does today".Dudley continued to feel a sense of loyalty to the McMahons and their promotion.Dudley was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 1994 by Vincent K. McMahon."

First African-American manager of an arena and a guy that worked for a company for 30 something years that later became the biggest wrestling company of all time is more than deserving of a spot.

Not that the WWE Hall of Fame isn't political and motivated partly by economics and name value, but I feel too often people try to look at it through a prism of a real sport.

• Like 9

Did you miss Vince's limo driver being in the Hall of Fame or something? It's been bogus and political from the start.

This is a talking point that's been misconstrued over the years. Let's go to the research.

"James Dudley began working for Jess McMahon in the 1950s, when McMahon was a co-owner of the Capitol Wrestling Corporation. When McMahon and his partners broke away from the National Wrestling Alliance to form the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF) in 1963, Dudley continued to work for McMahon. Dudley performed many different jobs, from carrying buckets of waters to counting ticket sales. Dudley was a close friend of Vincent J. McMahon and continued working for the family when the younger McMahon took over the business from his father; in particular, he drove McMahon's limousine and served as his bodyguard.He has said that he thought of McMahon as a father figure.

McMahon later increased Dudley's responsibilities with the company several times, and eventually assigned him to manage Turner's Arena in Washington, D.C., which made Dudley the first African-American to hold such a position in the United States.His role required him to oversee several other events, including the Town and Country Jamboree television show.Dudley also managed several wrestlers, including Bobo Brazil. Prior to Brazil's matches, Dudley excited the crowds by waving a towel while running to the ring.Over time, Dudley's role with the company diminished and he ceased working for them; the company's operations were moved to Connecticut, and Turner's Arena was demolished. Shortly before McMahon's death in 1984, he told his son, Vincent K. McMahon, who had taken over control of the promotion (then known as the WWF), "Whatever else you do, you take care of James Dudley."After Vincent J. McMahon's death, Dudley was put back on the company payroll at age 74 and subsequently received several gifts from Vincent K. McMahon to show appreciation for Dudley's contributions to the company.Dudley has been described as an "important cog" in the company, and McMahon once stated that "had there been no James Dudley, the WWF possibly wouldn't exist as it does today".Dudley continued to feel a sense of loyalty to the McMahons and their promotion.Dudley was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 1994 by Vincent K. McMahon."

First African-American manager of an arena and a guy that worked for a company for 30 something years that later became the biggest wrestling company of all time is more than deserving of a spot.

Not that the WWE Hall of Fame isn't political and motivated partly by economics and name value, but I feel too often people try to look at it through a prism of a real sport.

That's pretty fucking awesome. Thanks pal.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet so forgive me if I am repeating this but CM Punk told Ariel Helwani (sic?) that he told WWE he would be want to induct Warrior into the Hall of Fame.

If he tells the story about Harley Race on Punks livejounal page, it will be the best thing ever.

Google it if you don't know it.

• Like 3

I haven't seen this mentioned yet so forgive me if I am repeating this but CM Punk told Ariel Helwani (sic?) that he told WWE he would be want to induct Warrior into the Hall of Fame.

If he tells the story about Harley Race on Punks livejounal page, it will be the best thing ever.

This past 4th of July was spent at Lake of the Ozarks with myself, Ace Steel, and of course the legendary Harley Race. We spent all day on the Lake in his boat and a lot of the day was like that commercial for 'Girls Gone Wild'. Random strangers showing me their boobies (there ya go shelley!), and me just throwing water ballons at them. Late that night, back at Harleys house, we all ate some great BBQ and Harley had about a million billion martinis I think it was. He had these little pickled green beans he'd put in them....anyway....he drank a LOT. Which is no surprise, he's Harley Fucking Race. And yes, I just capitilized the 'F' in fucking. Ace is pretty tanked too, to set the scene...i'm just stuffed with BBQ, when this hilarious conversation ensues. Harley gets to telling stories, which on another side note is some of the best times i've ever had in my life. Just having the privilege to sit and listen to Harely talk about his career on numerous occasions has been really rewarding. He was talking about his run in the WWF, the reason he was brought in, and more importantly who he was working at the time. The conversation went exactly like this:

Harley: "...and he had me working Hogan, JYD, and one of my last programs was with....shit. What's his name? The guy. You know. Big guy....c'mon, you know!

That faggot Indian."

Now...I bust out laughing and Ace and I just look at each other while Harely is scrunching up his face trying to remember who he is talking about. I start throwing out names, but none of them really make any sense. I mean....Wahoo never worked in the WWF, and certainly if he did, Harely wouldn't call him "that faggot Indian". Tatanka, who Ace proudly proclaimed was who Harely must've been talking about. Certainly you all know Tatanka, while having wrestled in the WWF, it was years after Harely had already retired. So i'm sitting there, and Harely is literally scratching his head and Ace is clueless...and I really don't have any clue either. So I think..."faggot indian"...and I blurt out:

Punk: "The Ultimate Warrior?"

Harley: "YES! That fucking GOOF!"

I laughed for a week.

XxX

• Like 3

hahahahaha

Uh

I mean, that isn't funny.  BE A STAR BITCHES

I'd really like Christian to induct Warrior since he was rooting for him at Wrestlemania 6, and did such a spot on impression on the Self Destruction DVD that he should do it AS the Ultimate Warrior

• Like 1

This past 4th of July was spent at Lake of the Ozarks with myself, Ace Steel, and of course the legendary Harley Race. We spent all day on the Lake in his boat and a lot of the day was like that commercial for 'Girls Gone Wild'. Random strangers showing me their boobies (there ya go shelley!), and me just throwing water ballons at them. Late that night, back at Harleys house, we all ate some great BBQ and Harley had about a million billion martinis I think it was. He had these little pickled green beans he'd put in them....anyway....he drank a LOT. Which is no surprise, he's Harley Fucking Race. And yes, I just capitilized the 'F' in fucking. Ace is pretty tanked too, to set the scene...i'm just stuffed with BBQ, when this hilarious conversation ensues. Harley gets to telling stories, which on another side note is some of the best times i've ever had in my life. Just having the privilege to sit and listen to Harely talk about his career on numerous occasions has been really rewarding. He was talking about his run in the WWF, the reason he was brought in, and more importantly who he was working at the time. The conversation went exactly like this:

Harley: "...and he had me working Hogan, JYD, and one of my last programs was with....shit. What's his name? The guy. You know. Big guy....c'mon, you know!

That faggot Indian."

Now...I bust out laughing and Ace and I just look at each other while Harely is scrunching up his face trying to remember who he is talking about. I start throwing out names, but none of them really make any sense. I mean....Wahoo never worked in the WWF, and certainly if he did, Harely wouldn't call him "that faggot Indian". Tatanka, who Ace proudly proclaimed was who Harely must've been talking about. Certainly you all know Tatanka, while having wrestled in the WWF, it was years after Harely had already retired. So i'm sitting there, and Harely is literally scratching his head and Ace is clueless...and I really don't have any clue either. So I think..."faggot indian"...and I blurt out:

Punk: "The Ultimate Warrior?"

Harley: "YES! That fucking GOOF!"

I laughed for a week.

XxX

I remember in Dynamite Kid's book, he tells a story about Harley describing the Warrior exactly like that as well, minus the booze and all that. I think they were travelling together. My books are packed for The Move that Never Happened...Yet, or I'd give you guys the direct quote from the book.