DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2014

The Natural

Funny story: one year Ellen Burnstyn got nominated for best supporting actress at the emmys for 14 second role she had in a TV film called Mrs Harris. Basically, the people in charge of balloting hadn't even seen the movie; they'd just seen her name on the credits and since she was a notable name, she instantly got nominated. 

I always thought the unique thing about The Shawshank Redemption is that it manages to be incredibly depressing and uplifting at the same time. It's not necessarily the best film ever made, but it endures because, as horrific as it is for these guys, you can leave it with a good feeling.

It's the black regiment finds some form of solidarity and then gets led to inevitable slaughter part that really gets me. I don't think anyone would okay that ending today. Probably the Weinsteins on the right day. However, the fucking guy had to meet Obama or something in The Butler.

BTW - this is not surprising at all because I am pretty sure we all realized this happens all the time but

Two voters admitted that they voted for 12 Years a Slave for Best Picture without actually seeing it. The quote was something like "they wanted to reward the importance of the movie but didn't want to go through the emotional trauma of watching it."

This story *will* be followed up by a story today saying the two voters have been stripped of their votes with extreme prejudice.  That's just a horrible message to send to filmmakers.

To answer FSW's question, I believe it's roughly 5000 people that vote on best picture (past winners, directors, actors, producers).  The Academy splits up their voting pool so that each category is decided by those most familiar with it so the other categories get smaller pools (roughly 200 each).  Best Picture takes all those and combines them into one pool.

Funny story: one year Ellen Burnstyn got nominated for best supporting actress at the emmys for 14 second role she had in a TV film called Mrs Harris. Basically, the people in charge of balloting hadn't even seen the movie; they'd just seen her name on the credits and since she was a notable name, she instantly got nominated. 

A few years ago, didn't Nicole Kidman win the Best Actress Oscar for The Hours for maybe 30 mins total screen time?

Funny story: one year Ellen Burnstyn got nominated for best supporting actress at the emmys for 14 second role she had in a TV film called Mrs Harris.  

It's the emmys. Olivier won for Brideshead Revisited and he barely lifted a finger. He did greater work for Polaroid.

I have no major issue with him winning it (although I would have personally put him in supporting) but it is funny how little screen time he had.

My issue, of course, is that the movie stole Beauty and the Beast's Best Picture statue.