DVDVR Message Board

TNA releases thread

Look, regardless of the ethical/moral issues, I don't know how why TNA don't just pay medical bills.

I'm not sure how much money they've saved not covering that stuff, but I imagine they've spent just as much, if not more, on lawyers and settlements. Not to mention the bad PR.

Daffney getting money out of TNA is like if a roofer fell off his ladder and successfully sued the homeowner for damages.  Independent contractor, assumed risk, SOL.

Eh, a more apt comparison would be if the roofer was forced to use the homeowner's (unsafe) ladder, talked into fixing an area of the roof they felt was dangerous and could give way, and promised (falsely) beforehand they'd be taken care of it anything went wrong.

Oh, and if the homeowner then put the footage up of the fall on Youtube. 

It's nothing like that.

She wasn't injured due to negligence.  The ring wasn't faulty, a lighting rig didn't fall on her, the floor wasn't slippery, etc.  Her injuries came solely from her failure to protect herself.

I believe she claimed three seperate injuries from Tara hitting her with a toolbox, the table bump, and the fat broad sitting on her.

Professional wrestling is a dangerous profession and when she agreed to those spots, she assumed the risks and from there it was on her to protect herself.

Yeah, it'd been nice if TNA would just pay their talent's medical bills as a show of appreciation but no one should expect it unless it was in writing and even then a pro wrestler should really have their own insurance anyway.

Suing for loss of potential earnings is absolute bullshit though.  You get paid for services rendered and that's it.  There's no potential in the entertainment industry.

• Like 1

She didn't want to take the bump. She got talked into it and assured she'd be taken care of if anything went wrong.

"failure to protect herself"??? Dude, look at the BFG bump again, there's only so much you can do to protect yourself in a spot like that. Also, Rosie Lottalov was green and dangerous in the ring, again, what could she have done to protect herself?

People don't realize that Daffney suffered actual brain damage from the 4 or 5 concussions she suffered (in under 18 months no less!). That's clear when you listening to the Diva Dirt interview and she spends so much time bursting into tears over the minor stuff imaginable, it becomes deeply uncomfortable to listen to. Her wrestling career ended too.

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd bump this as Hernandez, Daniels, Chris Sabin, and Kazarian are now all gone from TNA. 4 releases within 2 weeks? Surely there has to be more coming?

also:

Katie Ryjavec, who been handling TNA’s live event marketing and media buys, recently gave notice and will be leaving the company. She has been with TNA since 2011.

It's amazing that G. Bischoff is still on the pay roll.

Garett Bischoff will be cheap I imagine and is kept around as a solid to his father.

Daniels & Kazarian are expected to continue to tag together on the indies and I imagine they can main-event or semi-main a lot of places that way, and probably go to ROH too.

Hernandez was one of those guys who you really wanted to be better than he was. As is, great booking could have found something to do with him but...well, y'know.

It's weird to see Sabin out so soon after they put the World Title on him, but the heel turn kinda made him a comedy act which I'm not sure was a smart move even though he was quite funny in that role.

An LAX reunion in ROH or Global Force is probably the only thing Homicide and Hernandez can still contribute to the business.

If ROH brought in LAX, the Motor City Machine Guns, and Daniels/Kazarian to build their tag division around, I'd watch every week.

Picking nits but none of the 4 were released. Their contracts ran out and TNA chose to sign more NXT rejects than re-sign any of the 4.

I think it's great that they're making room for new talent. That's what drew me into the company 10 years ago. The releases haven't been all that bad. Hernandez hasn't done anything for the company in a while and Chris Sabin is not the wrestler he use to be before he got injured. It does suck that Bad Influence is gone and that Garrett Bischoff and Wes Briscoe are still there though.

As far as TNA signing "NXT rejects" goes. I think that's also pretty awesome. Just because you're a "NXT reject" doesn't mean you're a talentless loser. Take EC3 for example, I first noticed him when he was Derrick Bateman and since then I've gone back and watched him on the indies, mainly in AIW. The guy can do pretty much anything in the ring and outside of it. Now he's one of my favorite things in wrestling! Also, isn't Chris Hero a "NXT reject"?

If things were different and TNA was keeping older guys and not signing new talent, everyone who's bashing them now would do a 180 and bash them for that too. Same goes with them using smaller venus. People mocked them for using large venus and now they're mocking them for using the Manhattan Center. Yes they make a lot of poor booking decisions, but who doesn't? Since the Raw after the Raw after 'Mania (try saying that 3 times fast) the poor booking decisions outweigh the good for WWE. Yet people are more willing to ignore that and enjoy the stuff that is good. Why can't the same be done for TNA? It's not because there's nothing they're doing to enjoy, because there is. Wrestling fans are the most negative people on the planet.

Because TNA doesn't deserve it? For every positive step TNA takes, the booking just kills it in the long run. I'm liking the Eric Young angle but I know at the end of the day, it won't mean anything.

I think it's a mistake to let Bad Influence go, but EC3 and Spud have sort of filled in their fun goofy segment.  I'm sure that Daniels/Kazarian will end up someplace as a team.  Maybe Sabin will rejoin Shelley as the MCMG.  But still, even if TNA signed them, it really doesn't feed like their contract would go the full term because TNA would shut down.

I use to be a Chris Sabin fan. Sabin really started to find himself while working with Nash in 06 and reached his peak when teaming with Shelley. Sabin can promo and is a good heel.

Hernandez hasn't done dick in TNA in an extremely long time and I think the last 'new' thing I saw from him was a workout segment he did for TNA 365. At one point he was extremely over and was a main player in ending the chaos in The Impact Zone one night. His run in Mexico was great. His run with Mexican American was not. That tag team killed all his heat. I agree that him and Homicide should link up ASAP. LAX in ROH or  AAA would be money.

Bad Influence was amazing. So of course their contracts do not get renewed. I can see PWG, CHIKARA, and ROH doing some shows with those two now that they are free and I hope so.

Hernandez seems like a no brainer for AAA.  He's perfect for El Rey as an english speaking Latino-American.  Bad Influence is in a great position as they'll be in high demand on the indys.  They'll be a strong house and iPPV draw for a while and can pick and choose their spots.  AJ Styles has drawn really well on his indy run.

I get where TNA is coming from and can't blame them for letting these contracts run out.  Styles, Daniels, Kaz, Sabin......these guys had been around forever and had to be fairly pricy at this point, and it's not like any of them is a difference maker at this point.  Their PPV business is DOA.....their house shows draw comical levels at this point...there TV draws the same fucking rating every week no matter who is on the show, if it's live or tape....if you have Hogan/Flair/Sting etc or if you've got a bunch of no name indy guys.  So yeah, let these contracts run out, let Angle's run out, let Kennedys run out, PLEASE let Tazz's run out, etc. etc.  Operate on a shoestring budget and try to make stars out of some fresh faces.  Recycling ex WWE/WCW talent is a proven losing strategy for them.

And if nothing else, it keeps things fresh.  Huge problem with modern wrestling is that there are so few places to work that guys stay in one place way, way too long.....they become stale and the promotion becomes stale.  Hopefully with El Rey/AAA and Global Force this will change somewhat.  Probably not a whole lot, El Rey/AAA will have only a few spots for non-Mexican guys, and Global Force sounds like it will a touring company that runs in foreign markets, almost like that Rikishi group that got really popular in Spain and Italy for a bit, but that's more jobs in wrestling.

Of course, it being TNA, at the same time they let all these guys go they bring in people like MVP and Lashley who can't be working too cheap

I haven't been watching the product since sometime in the middle of the never ending Aces & 8's nonsense, but I still follow it via recaps and newz and all that.  For the first time in a while the product is starting to sound interesting to me again.  Of course it also sounds like it's full of the same mind-numbingly retarded crap TNA is famous for, but that will never change.

TNA's mentality that EVERYONE on the roster, sans some top WWE guys, is totally interchangeable is coming back to bite them on the ass.

Is AJ Styles a huge draw? Not really. But I do believe that him, along with people like Daniels, Mickie James and Kazarian, probably make the difference between a 1.0 and a 0.8 or 0.7. Which undoubtedly comes into play when dealing with Spike and trying to get a contract renewal.

TNA's mentality that EVERYONE on the roster, sans some top WWE guys, is totally interchangeable is coming back to bite them on the ass.

Is AJ Styles a huge draw? Not really. But I do believe that him, along with people like Daniels, Mickie James and Kazarian, probably make the difference between a 1.0 and a 0.8 or 0.7. Which undoubtedly comes into play when dealing with Spike and trying to get a contract renewal.

Hogan, Sting, RVD, etc probably had more to do with that gap between .0.8-1.0.

I don't think it matters who TNA has on Impact. No one makes a difference, not Angle, Hardy, Flair, or Hogan and certainly not Hernandez or Sabin. They get nearly the same rating every week regardless of who is on, what they're against, or if it's a holiday. It's mind boggling how consistent they are, no matter how mediocre the ratings are compared to WWE.

I wonder what would kill their ratings at this point, no one seems important in the grand scheme of things regarding the ratings. If the most famous wrestler of all time, Hulk Hogan, cannot draw people in what will?