DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: MR. NIEBLA

RIPPA

Last night while we were playing GTA V - Mark brought up that Mr. Niebla came out last night wearing a "different" mask (I was too focused on trying to not die to process the facts) But that made me decide to do a Mr. Themed Wrestler of the Day Week. So here we go.

Luchawiki's Mr. Niebla Page

5.jpg

Mr. Niebla vs. Dr Wagner Jr. (CMLL 9/3/97 – CMLL Light Heavyweight Title) 

That is the one Niebla match that made the Best of the 90s but I can't find it on the interwebs at the moment.

I hate the interwebs

Mr. Niebla vs. Dr Wagner Jr. (CMLL 9/3/97 – CMLL Light Heavyweight Title) 

That is the one Niebla match that made the Best of the 90s but I can't find it on the interwebs at the moment.

I hate the interwebs

That match was so great. CMLL MAIN EVENT WRESTLING~! with a totally clean finish.

Mr. Niebla vs Mr. Niebla IWRG - Mascara y Nombre vs Mascara y Nombre - 8/20/99

I love that Mark sent me a match where I have no idea which guy is which because they're both the same gimmick. Ok i have the code: the one that's more built is the IWRG one. The one that comes out to the James Bond tune is the CMLL one. The fans are chanting Niebla. Somehow that feels like saying that they want the guy with the mask to win. This is a one fall to the finish with no time limit. I have no idea about the backstory or anything here. 

They start going at it and I'm immeditaely lost again. We have someone coming to ringside, and mask ripping, and biting. I'm just going to go with the fact that the guy with more white in the mask is the IWRG one. We have a cut in here which confuses the hell out of me for a minute but I've got it worked out. Niebla came back and went for a big early dive. It's missed looks really organic actually. He went for a tope suicida and Niebla IWRG moved and he landed in a logical but nasty way. Great way to ratchet up the heat, blow off a monumental hope spot and transition things to the next bit which is Niebla IWRG in charge but almost getting rolled up twice, dramatically. He finishes this off with a huge power bomb (and I was totally expecting a rana reversal) and two nasty secodn rope sentons with a last second kick out. He goes for an over the shoulder rocket launcher facebuster thing that I've seen MS-1 do. Niebla lands on his feet and locks in a crucifix roll up on an unsuspecting Niebla IWRG for another near fall and the act break into the finishing stretch

Niebla hits one moonsault and then misses the second and almost gets pinned on a roll up himself. I love the awy they're working the pinfalls here. Everything feels important since this is just one fall with very high stakes. They do a blocked top rope 'rana into a sort of power bomb drop for a great near fall. Both guys are selling now, but Niebla IWRG gets up first, goes for a few punches. The suddenness of Niebla's block is great. One second the punch comes, the next second he's powerbombing his opponent. And that finishing submission is great as it's a mix of complicated and smooth and the excitement after he wins is visceral.The bubbles floating through the air during the unmasking is a nice touch. Tell me that the Niebcla IWRG had a career after this since he has a great rudo look.

This was definitely fun.