DVDVR Message Board

The NEW Recipes Thread

J.H.

Dude, I would kill it on Chopped. I worked in some of Seattle's best restaurants as a line cook before I got into market intell, which was my dayjob while building a career as writer/editor. I know my way around a kitchen, and I was doing odd challenges long before Chopped was on tv. (The hardest one was making a dinner with only items from 7-11) I'm not going to say that it was particularly good, but it was a dinner. Fortunately, one of the things you can get at 7-11 is lots of beer, I think that helped matters immensely.

Presented for your gustatory pleasure by OSJ - Iron Chef Seafood

I'd like to see you tackle a basket of random dried and canned seafood items from an Asian grocery.

Well, if I pick them it wouldn't exactly be random, would it? So here's what we'll do, here's a link to largest Asian grocery in the NW. www.uwajimaya.com

Go ahead and pick out four to six dried or canned items and make me a basket. I get to add whatever I deem appropriate to make an edible dish. Neither of us may repeat items (six bags of dried shrimp might seem funny to you, but there's not much I could do with that other than a soup). I'm ready when you are.

They don't actually seem to have their inventory online.

But hey, if you wanted to cook with dried shrimp paste, canned abalone, dried seaweed, and mackerel packed in miso, have fun.

I'd like to see you tackle a basket of random dried and canned seafood items from an Asian grocery.

Well, if I pick them it wouldn't exactly be random, would it? So here's what we'll do, here's a link to largest Asian grocery in the NW. www.uwajimaya.com

Go ahead and pick out four to six dried or canned items and make me a basket. I get to add whatever I deem appropriate to make an edible dish. Neither of us may repeat items (six bags of dried shrimp might seem funny to you, but there's not much I could do with that other than a soup). I'm ready when you are.

But hey, if you wanted to cook with dried shrimp paste, canned abalone, dried seaweed, and mackerel packed in miso, have fun.

You're right, sorry about that... Dried shrimp paste, canned abalone, dried seaweed, and mackerel packed in miso? You are an evil bastard, but I'll try to rise to the occasion. This may take an hour or so, those be tough ingredients.

You're right, sorry about that... Dried shrimp paste, canned abalone, dried seaweed, and mackerel packed in miso? You are an evil bastard, but I'll try to rise to the occasion. This may take an hour or so, those be tough ingredients.

Eh, I just wanted to see what you would do with shrimp paste.

It could have been worse.  I have stuff like this in my pantry (or rather my father does):

VLnz2CHl.jpg

• Like 1

And so it begins... Here's your menu for today:

Abalone fritters with sweet and sour sauce.

Ginger mackerel miso soup.

Kick-ass Thai Rice.

Abalone fritters

You will need:

The aforementioned canned abalone

1 or two eggs

2 shallots or a small, small sweet onion

Panko breading (or you can use bread crumbs if you wish) About a half cup should be enough, (and here you were wondering what to do with the leftover Panko from the Salt n' Pepper Shrimp. You didn't think I'd really leave you hanging, didja?

As to sauce, I'm using sweet & sour, but if want more bite, you can go with a hot sauce or whatever you like. A word of warning, our rice side dish will blow the top of your head off, hence my going with sweet & sour here. Balance is everything dontcha know?

Drain the canned abalone.

Now here's the fun part. Mince the abalone and shallots, chop, chop, chop!

Mix in the egg(s) and Panko. Make into small patties about the size of a White Castle burger. Of course you still have some oil left, (if you used a deep fryer for the Salt & Pepper Shrimp, you have some flavored oil to work with. If not, that's okay. Heat up about enough to cover about half the patties width and cook 'em up on medium heat. Probably a minute or so a side will do it. Add sauce of your choice, but remember, we already have some seriously hot stuff planned.

Ginger Mackeral Miso Soup

You will need:

Mackerel packed in Miso

Dried seaweed (don't use it all, save some for the rice dish)

fresh ginger (about a two-inch long piece should be fine, remember to peel it)

a pinch of shrimp paste

1 carrot

2 green onions (or use any leftover shallots)

1 tblsp of sugar

1/2 cup of sake (optional)

Chop up all your veggies and the mackerel. Do not discard the miso! Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the miso and shrimp paste to it. As soon as it returns to a boil add the rest of your ingredients and simmer on low for about twenty minutes.

Now here's where it gets fun, if you don't like soup, no problem, just drain off the liquid and what you'll have left is quite tasty. On the other hand, you probably don't want to waste the stock as we can always use it for something else.

The rice dish will require its own post, back in twenty (I actually have to prep some stuff for tonight's dinner).

4 cups cooked rice (1-3 days' old, kept in the refrigerator.

15-20 small shrimp, here’s a place where you can actually use 40-50 ct shrimp and have it work.

2 eggs beaten

3-4 Tbsp. sake

1/4 cup onion, minced

5-6 cloves garlic, minced (oh, what the hell, just use the whole thing.)

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 to 3/4 cup frozen peas

1 carrot thin sliced

The ever-popular 2-inch piece of fresh ginger also thinly sliced

1/2 cup cashews finely chopped

STIR-FRY SAUCE: (Be sure to double these amounts for more than 4 cups of rice)

1/2 tsp. dried shrimp paste

2 tblsp. Nam Pla

3-4 ghost chilies finely chopped (be sure to wear surgical gloves* when doing this or you will be sorry, especially if you go to the restroom.)

Small amount of oil or butter

*I always pocket a bunch whenever I visit the doctor.

Okay, this really isn’t hard despite having what seems like a lot of  steps it really only takes minutes.

Make your sauce set aside and keep warm, whenever someone pours cold sauce on hot food the Devil kills a hamster or other small cuddly thing.

Add your oil to a wok or large pan, toss in the ginger, garlic, onion and allow to just barely turn brown. Add the rest of your ingredients except for the eggs. BTW: If you are HARDCOREZ, you may throw in some chopped ghost chilies and or habaneros at this point. If you are from the UK where they think mild curry is hot or if you hail from Kanuckistan, please don’t, I don’t want to be responsible for anyone’s spontaneous combustion.

Heat everything through and through, now add your beaten eggs. The right way to do this is with a fork, creating little streamers of fried egg throughout the dish. The wrong way is to dump all the egg in at once and stir it up hoping for the best. What you’ll have will be a gloppy mess and you’ll deserve it for not following directions. This dish in done when the egg sets. Keep the sake handy, you will need it.

Eh, I just wanted to see what you would do with shrimp paste.

It could have been worse.  I have stuff like this in my pantry (or rather my father does):

VLnz2CHl.jpg

I'm sure I could figure out something, but that's like three lifetimes supply of crab paste. I've seen like 2.4oz cans and though "That's way more than I'll ever use", the mind boggles at 7.4 oz.

ll

DAMN IT TO HELL!!! Despite my warnings to one and all, I just picked up my smoke with the gloved hand that had been handling the ghost chilies. Damnit, that fucking hurts. Oh well, like Kofi Kingston, I am willing to die for your pleasure. Fuck, this is ten minutes later and my lower lip is still on fire, methinks I got a good batch this time.  For those of you I may have scared about the ghost chilies, cooking brings down the heat considerable.

• 2 weeks later...

Popcorn that makes me wonder how the hell I ever consumed as much of that microwave crap as I have over the years.

-Get a stock pot. Size doesn't really matter. Think the one I use is a 5-quart one.

-Add enough oil to barely cover the bottom of the pan.

-Add sliced jalapenos to taste. If you can get fresh ones, great. . .I usually just use the ones from a jar. Cover pot.

-Turn burner on high and cook jalapenos until they start to turn brown.

-Put in enough popcorn kernels to cover bottom of pot. Mine takes about half a cup's worth. Cover again.

-Pop popcorn. Wait for popping to slow down. Remove from heat so it doesn't burn.

-Salt liberally.

I don't do a lot of "fancy" cooking, but I know what I like. Hopefully this isn't too "lowbrow" for this particular thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Good popcorn is almost a lost art. Fuck that microwave stuff, Gonzo has brought the real goodness. The jalapeno flavoring is brilliant, only thing missing is the powered garlic and seasoning salt. (I use Lawry's, but you can use whatever floats your boat.) However, jalapenos from a jar make Baby Jebus cry.

• 11 months later...

Sorry to necro this thread, but I realized I hadn't re-posted the fish and sausage stew recipe that Super Ape requested. A thousand apologies, and here it is:

Tomato Fish and Sausage Stew

3 or 4 fish filets (I used cod, but I figure any kind of fish like that will work)
3 to 5 sausages (I used chorizo, but again any type of sausage will do)
1 28 oz. can tomato sauce
1 14 oz. (?) can diced tomatoes
1 medium-to-large yellow onion, chopped
1 pepper (any color), diced
1 celery stalk, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced (set 1 aside)
Bunch of leafy greens (I used red swiss chard, but any hearty leafy green should work)
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning (If you don't want to do the blend thing, I'd say 2 teaspoons of basil and oregano, and a teaspoon each of parsley, thyme, and marjoram)
A pinch of crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

First, brown the sausages on all sides, then set aside. Then, in the same pan, sautee the greens in the butter with a clove of garlic and some salt, set that aside once the greens have wilted a bit. Then heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a pot and sweat all of the aromatics. Once they're all translucent, add the tomatoes, both diced and sauce, then the seasonings. Stir to combine, then bring to a simmer. Once that's simmering, add the filets (which have been seasoned with salt and pepper), reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it cook for about an hour. When there's about 10 minutes left, stir in the sliced sausage and the greens. Serve with rice.

• 9 months later...

The Crock pot is your friend!

Slow Cooked Chicken Teriyaki

2lb Chicken Thighs

1 Cup Ketchup

1/4 Cup Soy sauce

1/4 Honey

3 tbsp Minced Garlic

2 tbsp red wine vinegar

Cut up your chicken meat or leave on bone. Leaving it on the bone will let add more flavor to the sauce

Mix the soy, ketchup, honey and vinegar together, make sure all is blended and then add the garlci last and stir that for about 45 seconds

Throw chicken in crock pot and then cover with the Teriyaki sauce. You can also throw pineapple chunks if you want .

Set Crock pot to low 76-8 hours. For High setting only 4 hours should do it.

You can serve over rice or add ramen to the pot 15 minutes before you serve it. The sauce penetrates dried ramen noodles really well. This is really the perfect "My turn to make dinner but won't have time to cook when I get home" meal. If you get everything together the nght before and then just throw it in the pot before you leave for work then ti will be perfect by the time you get home.

Enjoy!

James