DVDVR Message Board

The NEW Recipes Thread

J.H.

I think one of the things I lament is the loss of the recipe thread from the old board (along with The BBQVERSITY thread, which hopefully can get restarted).

That being said, here is my recipe for Cheezy Chicken, Artichoke & Spinach Bake

Ingredients

2lbs of boneless Chicken (breasts or thighs) cut into strips

1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

1./2 Cup grated Parmesan

2 Cups Sour Cream

1 8 oz Package of Cream Cheese

1 12 oz can artichoke hearts (or you can use fresh if you prefer)

1 8 oz can of mushrooms (again fresh is good)

1 package of frozen leaf or creamed spinach

1 tsp Red Pepper Flake

4 Tbsp minced garlic

2 tubes Pillsbury Grand Rolls (or suitable equivalent)

Instructions

Preheat Oven to 400 F

Take 3 cap fulls of vegetable oil and pour into hot skillet. Once oil is heated properly add 4 Tbsp of garlic. Once garlic is heated/toasted add chicken. Cook chicken through on mMedium High until cooked all the way through. You can leave it unattended if necessary, just check on it while prepping the other things. Once fully cooked drained excess grease/juice and l;et stand 10 minutes.

Open can of Artichoke Hearts, drain liquid and put in large mixing bowl, do same with mushrooms (again drain liquid). Add Cream Cheese and Sour Cream. Stir contents until everything is fully incorporated. Next fold in Parmesan and Mozzarella cheeses until fully blended. Add chicken to mixture and stir, making sure chicken is covered in cheese mixture and incorporated with spinach/artichokes and mushrooms. Add Red Pepper flake.

Pour into baking/casserole dish (I use an 8x12). Spread to make as even as possible. Now take your 2 tubes of rolls, separate the rolls and place them on top of Chicken/Artichoke/Mushroom/Spinach/Creamy mixture. Bake 30 minutes then take out of oven and sprinkle 1 cup Cheddar Cheese on top before returning to oven for another 30 minutes.

End Result

8207_10151873422767951_2049935682_n.jpg

Half of this is already gone since I served it to my roommates. Even my one friend who doesn't like greens devoured this. Its really quite tasty.

James

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are the work of the devil. Use thigh meat.

It all boils down to what you prefer. I have no beef with boneless breast meat but thigh meat won't cost you as much and is equally good.

The batch I made tonight was thigh meat btw...

James

It's not my recipe, but Alton Browns soft pretzel recipe is so good and so easy to make (especially if you have a mixer);

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-soft-pretzels-recipe/index.html

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are the work of the devil. Use thigh meat.

It all boils down to what you prefer. I have no beef with boneless breast meat but thigh meat won't cost you as much and is equally good.

The batch I made tonight was thigh meat btw...

James

Any time I need chicken for some kind of application like this, I'll buy a whole chicken and just boil & shred it.  You get a mix of the light/dark meat that gives a creamy texture that chopped up baked chicken never will, plus you end up with tons of stock leftover to freeze and use in whatever.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Chili recipe
4 green peppers
3 serrano
1 onion (any variety)
2 bigass chili bean cans
1 bigass corn can
1 tomato sauce (or sub hunt's zesty spaghetti sauce)
mushrooms (any variety)
chili powder (probably not necessary)
cumin
36 summer shandy

Be sure to get good bigass firm green peppers.  Put onion in freezer while cutting your green peppers.  Don't waste any good green pepper flesh from the top and bottom. Put it in a giant pot.  Turn on the heat. Half-way is fine.  Add powder shit to the vegetables.  Let it sweat. Drain as much water as you can from the corn. Then add the canned shit. Splash water in tomato can then stir it to get all the shit out of it and pour it in the pot. Cook until hungry.  Eat good meat separately.  This should last about a week. Add grated cheese and pickled jalapenos. Drink beer as needed.  Use better peppers if available.  Habanero is MIA at my grocery. 

Chili recipe

4 green peppers

3 serrano

1 onion (any variety)

2 bigass chili bean cans

1 bigass corn can

1 tomato sauce (or sub hunt's zesty spaghetti sauce)

mushrooms (any variety)

chili powder (probably not necessary)

cumin

36 summer shandy

Be sure to get good bigass firm green peppers.  Put onion in freezer while cutting your green peppers.  Don't waste any good green pepper flesh from the top and bottom. Put it in a giant pot.  Turn on the heat. Half-way is fine.  Add powder shit to the vegetables.  Let it sweat. Drain as much water as you can from the corn. Then add the canned shit. Splash water in tomato can then stir it to get all the shit out of it and pour it in the pot. Cook until hungry.  Eat good meat separately.  This should last about a week. Add grated cheese and pickled jalapenos. Drink beer as needed.  Use better peppers if available.  Habanero is MIA at my grocery. 

You are putting beans and corn into chili? I am aghast.

Okay, here's something really simple that can be adjusted upwards to feed an army or downwards for two people. I'll go with the four large servings to start with and y'all can monkey with it from there.

You will need:

3/4 lbs of pasta (Me, I like farfalle as the more surface area, the better it picks up the sauce, but you can use whatever is handy.)

1/4 cup EVOO (That's Extra Virgin Olive Oil to you!)

four to six garlic cloves (Depends on how much you like-a da garlic)

Parmesan or Romano cheese.

salt & pepper

Prep time: Slice up most of your garlic as thin as possible, the remainder you can run through a garlic press.

Start a big pot of boiling water for the pasta, be sure to add some salt and a few drops of EVOO. (Note: The EVOO keeps the pasta from clumping together in an ungodly mess.) Add pasta, cook until al dente and drain. (Al dente is not an Indy wrestler, but rather Eyetalian for "to the tooth". You don't want to overcook your pasts, you want it a bit chewy.

Meanwhile, heat up your EVOO to medium hot and add the garlic. Be careful not to burn it. (Nothing tastes worse than burnt garlic). When the garlic browns slightly it is done.

Add some salt and pepper to the pasta, pour the garlic and oil over it and add cheese. If you're feeding little ones, best to go with Parmesan as Romano is a serious cheese for serious folk. If you think this looks to bland, you can always add some chopped red pepper and green onions to the garlic and oil mix to give it some color. To transform from a side dish to a main course all you need is a couple of hot or sweet Eyetalian sausages. This is a great basic dish to experiment with as it pretty much idiot proof. I've added black olives, the aforementioned Xmassy veggies, and swapped in shrimp for the sausage and it was still phenomenal.

*Oh, if you're making this as a side dish, save the pan you sautéed the garlic in, add a bit of oil and toss in a couple of tilapia or swai fillets. Cook a couple of minutes on each side, add some lemon juice and Parmesan or Romano cheese to coat and voila, you have a complete dinner that cost less than a bootleg dvd of The Best of CM Punk. 

*You really didn't think Iron Chef Seafood would post a recipe without mentioning our finny friends for food didja?

THIS is chili, motherfuckers!

1 can (12 oz.) stewed tomatoes (if you are lucky, you can find the kind with some peppers mixed in)

1 can (8 oz.) tomato paste

1 can (8 oz. tomato sauce

1 lb stew meat (or better yet, get a flat-iron steak and chop that bad boy up)

1/4 lb ground pork (or better yet, pork sausage)

4 strips of bacon

1 large Vidalia onion (if you must, use one of those Texas sweet onions, but Vidalia and Walla Walla Sweets are far better.)

1 large green pepper

3 jalapenos

3 habaneros

3 dried ghost chilies (This is serious chili for serious people, no pantywaists need try it) (BTW: You can get these on-line easily enough.)

1 Hershey bar (regular chocolate, nothing fancy)

Salt & Pepper

2 tbsp. chili powder

1 tbsp. garlic powder

1 tbsp. onion powder

1 tbsp. cumin

Mince the onion and dice the peppers, run all you veggies through a blender if possible, if you lack a blender get to chopping and mashing.

Fry your bacon until crisp, then chop it up and add to the veggies. At the same time cook your meat until almost done and mix everything together. Bring to almost boing and add the Hershey bar. Add your spices (including salt & pepper), stir it up and turn to low. Let it cook at low for at least two hours, stirring occasionally. After two hours make some cornbread (and don't look at me to tell you how to make cornbread). When the cornbread is done (about twenty minutes) serve together. If anyone asks "Why aren't there any beans?" throw them off the nearest cliff. Beans in chili makes Baby Jesus weep.

I made a chili with 5 pounds of meat and no beans and it was bland as hell. Had a combination of bacon and hamburger and let the fucker stew for over two hours and it still stank.  Eating good, natural casing brats in supplement is the true path.  I'd even get rid of the beans but shit is tasting too good.  Maybe triple mushrooms.  The fact that I've naturally gravitated towards a full vegetable chili is speaking volumes to my palate. This new shit is kicking my ass and is probably closer to a vegetable soup minus all the shit I hate (tomato pieces, green beans).  Only takes as long as it takes for you to chop your shit up.  It's feeding my fat ass for seven entire gut tapping meals.  If I can get real fast with my chopping, this motherfucker will be in my gut within 15 minutes.  The cheese is the most expensive ingredient.

Ghost peppers are just too god damned unpredictable.  They fluctuate like jalapenos.  One time you'll have a mellow trip and another time you'll get hit with bear mace.  I really can't wait 'til there's some actual fucking weather outside so I can start using my own damn peppers again.  My friend grew some ghost and the fuckers would glow orange in the dark.  Nuclear.  I don't think they ever got used in anything practical outside of the initial "well this is new, I wonder if it'll make me shit lava?" zone.  He dried 'em all out and they just seem to get pulled out as drunken party favors where you have someone smell the ziploc.  In my opinion, real hot shit has kind of a cheesy, dairy aroma.

I put corn in chili.  It's nice to have textural element with some crunch, and a little sweet counter the acid of the tomatoes isn't bad.

Last time I made chili I used a combination of cubed steak and ground pork and it was pretty good.  I think next time I'll try some chopped up pork chops or loin as well.

I made a chili with 5 pounds of meat and no beans and it was bland as hell. Had a combination of bacon and hamburger and let the fucker stew for over two hours and it still stank.  Eating good, natural casing brats in supplement is the true path.  I'd even get rid of the beans but shit is tasting too good.  Maybe triple mushrooms.  The fact that I've naturally gravitated towards a full vegetable chili is speaking volumes to my palate. This new shit is kicking my ass and is probably closer to a vegetable soup minus all the shit I hate (tomato pieces, green beans).  Only takes as long as it takes for you to chop your shit up.  It's feeding my fat ass for seven entire gut tapping meals.  If I can get real fast with my chopping, this motherfucker will be in my gut within 15 minutes.  The cheese is the most expensive ingredient.

Ghost peppers are just too god damned unpredictable.  They fluctuate like jalapenos.  One time you'll have a mellow trip and another time you'll get hit with bear mace.  I really can't wait 'til there's some actual fucking weather outside so I can start using my own damn peppers again.  My friend grew some ghost and the fuckers would glow orange in the dark.  Nuclear.  I don't think they ever got used in anything practical outside of the initial "well this is new, I wonder if it'll make me shit lava?" zone.  He dried 'em all out and they just seem to get pulled out as drunken party favors where you have someone smell the ziploc.  In my opinion, real hot shit has kind of a cheesy, dairy aroma.

Must have nuclear peppers!

That sounds a bit like pasta del cornuti.  Butter would be better than EVOO.

I did not get down to a svelte 270lbs by indulging in butter. Granted it does taste really, really good.

I am off to get me some ghost chilies, stay tuned for salt & pepper shrimp that will blow the top of your head off. Back in an hour. 

God damn it, first Albertson's wanted $28 for two lbs of 40-50 ct shrimp, (that shit is only useful for bait or shrimp cocktails), For those not in know, "count" refers to how many you get to the lb. If you are talking head-on, unpeeled 24-30 ct should be about $6.00 for our purposes I don't have time for decapitations and I prefer not to peel the damn things, but I will if the price is right. However, a trip crosstown to Safeway gives up a 2 lb bag of 20-24 ct for a mere $18.99 and with the package of ghost chilies at $5.00 and the Panko at $2.49, I am all set. A shame they don't have any frozen squid, but after all, this is Gallup and I think the locals worry overmuch about Cthulhu. Anyway, enough of that, here's what you will need:

2 tblsp salt (sea salt if you have it, if not, don't worry about it)

4 tsps. ground black pepper

ground ghost chilies to taste (I use three or four but I am HARDCORE)

1/2 cup all purpose flour (Bluebird is the best if you can get it)

1/2 cup Panko breading (usually found in the pitiful single rack they laughingly call "the International Section". Do they have any sauces but Sriacha and Tabasco? Any Nam Pla? No, of course not. Thank God for the Internetz. Otherwise, we have to drive to ABQ which eats up about $50 in gas.

1 or two eggs

1 cup or more of ice-cold water ( I am serious as a heart attack, if you use room temp, you will have a

gawdawful mess and will deserve  it for not following directions.)

4-5 cups of oil, use a cup or so at a time.

Prep Time: 

Mix your spices with the flour and breading mix and set aside. (Note: If you want batter so thick it breaks your teeth, you will add a step below. We'll get back to that. ) Now the Chinese make this stuff shell on and the result is not unlike baking a fish in rocksalt (something we'll deal with another time, when Mrs OSJ allows me to do it again. It's yummy, but I tend to make a gawdawful mess...

Now for the shrimp, if you were a cheap bastard and bought shell-on, good for you, have fun taking the shells off, we'll wait. If (like myself) you got a bag with shelled and deveined shrimp, outstanding! Hint: there is also a vein on the stomach of the shrimp that you want to remove, also run your knife down the back to be sure that it is really deveined. Why take the veins out? Two reasons, first, when done you will have what we call a "double-butterfly"; this is cool because the larger the surface area the more spices it will pick up. Second, and perhaps even more important, those aren't really "veins" they are the shrimp equivalent of intestines and therefore filled with shrimp poop. You really don't want to eat shrimp poop do you?

Start heating your oil. Instead of a deep-fryer, I just use a skillet and about 3/4 inch of oil. Uses a lot less oil that way.

Now we have fun: Get your ice-cold water and add one or two eggs to it.

Take your shrimp, dip into the ice-cold bath and then into the flour/spices/breading mix and then into the oil. Do only four or five at a time. I am like silly lightning and I'll do five, if you are a bit slower, just do four. More than that you will lower the temp of the oil and get unevenly cooked shrimp. You do not want that. Now if you want Long John Silver's style thick batter, what you do is keep the flour and Panko separate and do thusly, flour, water. breading, oil. I have tried this and I don't care for that MUCH batter. YMMV.

Keep adding oil as needed. Remember, do not let it get smoking hot, but you do want it to spit like a dragon being castrated when you flick a drop of water in.  Now if you disregarded my suggestion and used a deep-fryer, SAVE THE OIL. Go get some squid and do the same thing with it tomorrow.

Some options. You can always fool around and add some sliced jalapenos to the oil (bread 'em just like the shrimp). I suggest serving with some Sriacha and celery stalks with bleu-cheese or ranch on the side to cut the fire. If you live in Canada or one of those other places where black pepper is considered an exotic spice, you may of course whimp out and forego the ghost chilies and Sriacha. We won't mock you (much).

This makes for a great party appetizer or with some rice, you got yourself a main course.

Presented for your gustatory pleasure by OSJ - Iron Chef Seafood

That sounds fantastic. I can't wait to give that a try.

Where's Kyle Casey and his fish-and-sausage stew recipe? I've felt like cooking that for a while but I forget exactly how to make it and reading the recipe will remind me of the tweaks I did to it the first time I made it.

Where's Kyle Casey and his fish-and-sausage stew recipe? I've felt like cooking that for a while but I forget exactly how to make it and reading the recipe will remind me of the tweaks I did to it the first time I made it.

Wish I could help, I saved that on the old computer. Sadly, it costs $120 for work, so all my old recipes are gone, gone, gone. Fortunately, I printed out a whole bunch of them before the hard drive blew up.

What ho? Mrs. OSJ goes to the store for sodas and comes back with $250.00 worth of groceries. Oh, well included are packages of salmon fillets (sadly, it's Atlantic as the good stuff from Alaska doesn't make it this far south, but we will do what we can.) She also bought stuff to make pesole, I shall be at the bar playing darts until that shit is out of the house. Anyway, tomorrow we shall do a salmon and swai  roulade and something else with the remaining salmon.

Oh, wait, apparently it was on sale for 1/2 price ($5 a package of three fillets) so she bought five packages, I will have to give this some serious thought as there's enough to do a whole buncha cool things. But I promise, we will definitely do the roulade. It looks impressive as hell and will fool people into thinking that you can actually cook.

Presented for your gustatory pleasure by OSJ - Iron Chef Seafood

I'd like to see you tackle a basket of random dried and canned seafood items from an Asian grocery.

Well, if I pick them it wouldn't exactly be random, would it? So here's what we'll do, here's a link to largest Asian grocery in the NW. www.uwajimaya.com

Go ahead and pick out four to six dried or canned items and make me a basket. I get to add whatever I deem appropriate to make an edible dish. Neither of us may repeat items (six bags of dried shrimp might seem funny to you, but there's not much I could do with that other than a soup). I'm ready when you are.

I'm glad somebody else enjoyed it.  :)

I've got it written down somewhere. I'll post it again as soon as I unearth it.

• Like 1

I'm glad somebody else enjoyed it.  :)

I've got it written down somewhere. I'll post it again as soon as I unearth it.

Cool beans. This time I will print it out in case of another catastrophic computer crash.

On another note, Loose Cannon is apparently busy, so the invite to make up a basket of dried and canned seafood items from Uwajimaya is open to the first five people to make selections. Sorry, but more than that would actually seem like work, which I detest.