DVDVR Message Board

Random Matches between two guys that surprised you

Web Conn

Guess I never checked dailymotion but that Marty/Angle match was always missing from youtube, glad to finally see it again, still awesome. Always marked out for Jannetty's one off returns in 05, 06, 07, and 09.. shame he was never able to stick around. Also always loved Scott Hall's entrance to "Ready or Not", his ECW debut being one of my all time fav moments.

See matches were guys were in the same promotion together for a decent bit of time aren't really that random to me. Like Finlay and Vampiro were part of the Hardcore division so them ending up paired together makes sense. And sadly old crippled Andre was jobbing to all the WWF baby faces at the end of his run.

The standard bearer in this thread is always going to be

Lenny Lane vs. Great Sasuke in an Armory in Minnesota

I am dumbfounded that Dustin vs. Hogan happened on a random Thunder of all places. That is such a WCW thing to do.

Anyway here's some more WCW randomness.

Macho Man vs. Chris Adams WCW Worldwide 1998

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB12Stvmvzg

Macho Man vs. Ultimo Dragon WCW Worldwide 1998

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUypHVjo90

Macho Man vs. Beautiful Bobby WCW Worldwide 1997

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heeGlmHK_EE

• Like 1

I've actually had that Hogan/Dustin match on tape for years.  I always thought it was pretty good, and was surprised that Hogan let Dustin tinker with the formula a bit by countering the big boot.

Bobby Heenan legit marked out for it on commentary. Did Hogan/Dustin have any other matches or was that it? The way it ended, it seemed like it would set up a random bullrope match between the two.

Matt D always talks about there being an alternate universe where Dustin doesn't get fired, the nWo Hogan heel turn never happens, and Dustin eventually turns on Hogan for stealing the main event slot Dustin was always destined for.

It's not quite as great as the alternate universe where WCW never signs Hogan, and Dustin and Austin wind up main eventing like was clearly planned, but it's still a pretty interesting one.

I've actually had that Hogan/Dustin match on tape for years.  I always thought it was pretty good, and was surprised that Hogan let Dustin tinker with the formula a bit by countering the big boot.

Bobby Heenan legit marked out for it on commentary. Did Hogan/Dustin have any other matches or was that it? The way it ended, it seemed like it would set up a random bullrope match between the two.

I'm sure that was a one and done, because Dustin was feuding with Terry Funk if I recall.  I think Hogan was tied up with Flair and Luger.

I'm sure that was a one and done, because Dustin was feuding with Terry Funk if I recall.  I think Hogan was tied up with Flair and Luger.

See now a company that knew what they were doing would have rolled this into a mini feud with Hogan teaming with Terry Funk against Flair, Luger, and Rhodes. Hell put them in a cage and have it on PPV. I'm not sure the world could contain the insanity of a Hulk Hogan and Terry Funk tag team even if just for one night, but it would have been worth it.

See now a company that knew what they were doing would have rolled this into a mini feud with Hogan teaming with Terry Funk against Flair, Luger, and Rhodes. Hell put them in a cage and have it on PPV. I'm not sure the world could contain the insanity of a Hulk Hogan and Terry Funk tag team even if just for one night, but it would have been worth it.

I forget if Dusty was with WCW at that time in 2000, but if he was, then we could have had Hogan/Funk/Dusty v. Flair/Luger/Dustin

I forget if Dusty was with WCW at that time in 2000, but if he was, then we could have had Hogan/Funk/Dusty v. Flair/Luger/Dustin

I remember Russo firing Dustin because he was nothing without Russo scripting his Goldust promos.

It was in a PPV where Terry Funk said he was gonna bring Dustin's little brother and I started marking out because teenager Cody Rhodes would appear and then it was just some dude in a Chicken costume.