DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network pontificating

Fat Spanish Waiter

I'm assuming he meant they need to constantly maintain 800k - 1M for it to not lose money. Aside from original programming, maintaining the service, and perhaps international expansion, I see little reason that expenses would continue to incur thoroughout its operation.

I hope WWE really puts an emphasis into original programming. A lot of what they previewed at the press conference is just kind of spliced together highlights with old interviews. That stuff is fine, but I think there's a lot of potential for stuff like, for example, say ESPN 30-for-30 style documentaries on various wrestling stories.

I thought I read somewhere that they were doing a Regal documentary but that might have been a dream.

I hope WWE really puts an emphasis into original programming. A lot of what they previewed at the press conference is just kind of spliced together highlights with old interviews. That stuff is fine, but I think there's a lot of potential for stuff like, for example, say ESPN 30-for-30 style documentaries on various wrestling stories.

I thought I read somewhere that they were doing a Regal documentary but that might have been a dream.

Regal tweeted about it.

If this does hurt indies, I wonder if companies

Like PWG will eventually try to work out a deal to get their stuff streamed note network. Or maybe Netflix and/or Hulu will eventually try to fill their soon-to-be-gap in wrestling content by streaming indies. Probably wishful thinking.

Regal tweeted about it the other day.

(He also said he has never met Negro Casas, after i asked him if he ever worked him.)

While the 3 million figure is being tossed around for Raw, it is worth remembering that is the average number of people viewing at any given time.  According to nielsen in a given week the number of unique viewers for WWE programming (who watched at least I believe 15 minutes) was closer to 10 million, a figure initially laughed at but apparently one they stand by.  I'm not sure how many of those would qualify as dedicated enough viewers to go for the network but the pool they are aiming at is very likely a good bit bigger than you are anticipating.

Very much WWE Network related?

If I were to get a Roku Box, which would be the best option for me to do so?

The basic box is $50, the $60 box adds 1080p output, the $80 box adds a headphone jack on the remote, and the $100 box adds some other bells and whistles (ethernet port, card slot, motion-sensitive remote) that'll have nothing to do with WWE Network. If it were me, I'd get the $60 box. WWE Network is only going to be in 720p, but I'd assume that if I had the Roku, I might use it for other stuff.

Do people just not understand that Nielsen ratings are based on statistical sample sizes (which are remarkably accurate) and not just adding up how many Nielsen boxes are tuned into whatever show at any given time?

That you don't know anyone with a Nielsen box is not surprising.  The television watching population is massive.  The sample size does not need to be that large, and especially not if you and the people you know are part of a large demographic (and chances are you and the people you know are both part of a large demographic and are the same demographic).

• Like 1

I posted responses to both the "What happens to the Indies?" and "Will it work on my "X" device?" in the Yammering thread, but those questions have seemed to pop up over here as well.

Like PWG will eventually try to work out a deal to get their stuff streamed note network. Or maybe Netflix and/or Hulu will eventually try to fill their soon-to-be-gap in wrestling content by streaming indies. Probably wishful thinking.

Cubbymark brought up the indies which I think is a fair and realistic discussion. I don't buy indy wrestling DVDs, but doesn't smart mark video offer an on-demand service or at least a digital delivery option? There is that in terms of keeping up with the digital age and eliminating the need for physical DVDs. Price point could be an issue because $10-$15+ for an indy IPPV/DVD vs. $10 for an ENTIRE MONTH of WWE Network seems like a hard sell for the indies. A realistic option could be to try and get on Netflix and Hulu. There's a bunch of random/old stuff on Hulu including LuchaLIbre USA and some other stuff and isn't there a Legends Return indy show on Netflix with Nash? I'd say most indies would need to up their production values, but those are certainly options for them.  

I have western digital media box, hopefully it comes to that... though there are a ton of diy people that use it and build apps or convert them so that may work out, or I hope it does.   I can't wait.  I might but a tablet for when my girlfriend wants to watch tv.

This probably falls under "Availability on additional devices, including Xbox One and select Smart TVs, will follow this summer." I'm not an app developer, but each device brand has devs that builds and creates the app for their own device. Its been discussed in other threads comparing Netflix on various devices and OS systems. iOS, Android, Roku,+ game systems are the big app based systems and WWE (probably/must) have dev teams building their Network/WWEFLIX app as best they see fit for those systems. I've got an LG "smart" Blu-ray player with apps. I'd presume if LG wanted to get in on the WWE network, they'll need to build an app and strike a deal. Other smart devices like my blu ray player are so splintered that they most likely have their own dev teams building apps they want for their system.

To add to the classic RAW and Nitro's talk... I read somewhere that they'll be added by year. I think on launch day, it's 1995 for both shows. Then the next update is 1996, etc. I guess that's their way of decreasing the potential for binge watchers that cancel subscriptions. :P

Cubbymark brought up the indies which I think is a fair and realistic discussion. I don't buy indy wrestling DVDs, but doesn't smart mark video offer an on-demand service or at least a digital delivery option? There is that in terms of keeping up with the digital age and eliminating the need for physical DVDs. Price point could be an issue because $10-$15+ for an indy IPPV/DVD vs. $10 for an ENTIRE MONTH of WWE Network seems like a hard sell for the indies. A realistic option could be to try and get on Netflix and Hulu. There's a bunch of random/old stuff on Hulu including LuchaLIbre USA and some other stuff and isn't there a Legends Return indy show on Netflix with Nash? I'd say most indies would need to up their production values, but those are certainly options for them.  

Honestly, now that WWE-Mart is setting the price point of the-entire-catalogue-of-TV-wrestling at $10 a month, indies that want to actually be relevant internationally should just take out a YouTube-partner account and try to draw whatever revenue they can out of that.  If the Network works out, the only edge the indies will have will be to provide a more convenient product on an easier and more accessible platform, which means putting all their stuff on YouTube.

EDIT: For instance, I would like to watch more Ring of Honor and Dragon Gate USA than I currently do.  However, neither of those seem to be accessible in a convenient location.  However, I would be fine watching an ad or two on YouTube between each segment if I got the shows there.  They even have the edge on stuff like the WWE because they don't have all sorts of Byzantine TV contracts that force them to region-block their content from Canada (and elsewhere, but I live in Canada, so fuck elsewhere).

Do people just not understand that Nielsen ratings are based on statistical sample sizes (which are remarkably accurate) and not just adding up how many Nielsen boxes are tuned into whatever show at any given time?

That you don't know anyone with a Nielsen box is not surprising.  The television watching population is massive.  The sample size does not need to be that large, and especially not if you and the people you know are part of a large demographic (and chances are you and the people you know are both part of a large demographic and are the same demographic).

The Nielsen boxes are a statistically significant sample, but all they tell is how many TVs are tuned to what channel, not how many eyeballs are actually watching those TVs. Sports programs, and we'll include WWE under that category, tend to be "event" shows, where people gather to watch them. It's what makes sports programs so valuable, because A) they're watched by more people than the ratings indicate, and B) because they're more likely to be watched live rather than DVRed.

The Nielsen boxes are a statistically significant sample, but all they tell is how many TVs are tuned to what channel, not how many eyeballs are actually watching those TVs. Sports programs, and we'll include WWE under that category, tend to be "event" shows, where people gather to watch them. It's what makes sports programs so valuable, because A) they're watched by more people than the ratings indicate, and B) because they're more likely to be watched live rather than DVRed.

On the other hand, both Nielsen and the advertisers that pay outrageous money for a few seconds during the Superbowl understand this.  It's not like that information is not accounted for.

If it's just to get WWE Network onto your t.v. without a bunch of cables, you might be better off with a $30 chromecast. 

Thats not one of the listed devices the network will be available on at launch. 

However, there were WWE Network-branded Chromecasts handed out at CES - alongside Apple TVs.

If it's just to get WWE Network onto your t.v. without a bunch of cables, you might be better off with a $30 chromecast. 

Thats not one of the listed devices the network will be available on at launch. 

However, there were WWE Network-branded Chromecasts handed out at CES - alongside Apple TVs.

I find that both interesting and confusing. Was WWE actually handing them out or some other company handing them out capitalizing on WWE's (and possibly other companies' presence at CES) We've all dissected WWE's FAQs and other pages on their site to find all the fine print we can. In both the FAQ and that video tour Michael Cole did on the site of the network, they list all compatible devices by name; Chromcast and Apple TV were not listed. 

That doesn't mean they won't be available at some point, possibly very soon. We've still got a month. Its very possible devs are still building their version of the WWE network app to work with their device to be available by launch day. They just aren't listed as available devices right now.