DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network pontificating

Fat Spanish Waiter

The big point with Over the Edge '99 is that it's a case where just having it on there, but not saying anything about it, takes out some of the power behind it that would occur if you kept it off. The fact is- having Over the Edge 1999 on the Network, and not putting out any real fanfare about it (which WWE didn't do until people called them out on it enough so they had to say that it will be edited- and even that has people say "if it's edited, fair enough- we can see why they would") is better for it, simply because if WWE Network DIDN'T put it up, after saying EVERY PPV, more wrestling fans would say "You promised us EVERY Pay-Per-View, uncut, unedited! Where's Over the Edge 1999? LIARS! You promised us all of it!"...and then, Over the Edge 1999 keeps its power and has MORE people try to find it.

People will find OTE if they want to, regardless of its availability. The point is that WWE doesn't have to facilitate the ease of access to it, as it has ZERO effect on the profitability of the Network.

You draw more attention to it by not putting it up. THEY SAID EVERY PPV ARGGHHH.

Lets stop pretending we don't know who a good chunk of the audience is. They will complain about anything. WWE felt they could edit it, put it up and move on without THOSE people drawing attention to it. Now we see that it's a no-win situation for them.

• Like 2

Because they said you can watch everything. Seriously, I imagine a huge selling point of this thing is that people are going to want to relive EVERY moment of the Attitude Era. The WWE isn't Clockwork Oranging the audience by making them watch Owen Hart fall to his death on loop for 3 hours. It's all about free will. If you don't want to watch it, don't watch it.

But yeah, if one of the selling points is that you're putting up every WWE, WCW, ECW PPV (and they are with the exception of I guess the No Holds Barred cage match with Hogan, and the cross-promoted PPVs with foreign companies) then you kind of have no choice but to put on EVERY PPV.

And again, we go on a slippery slope. This archive features a whole lot of guys that died pretty terrible deaths. Considering the way Hawk died, isn't if offensive that they'll be having the angles where they portray him as a drug addict who attempts to commit suicide on air?

I loved Owen as much as any wrestling fan could. He was my favorite wrestler from like the turn on Bret and really until his death. Shit, him winning the IC belt was like one of the big reasons I even wanted to see the PPV that night, but his accident doesn't turn Over the Edge into some mythical creature that must be guarded from human consumption.

Shit, I mean...if you have a bee in your bonnet to watch every WWF title change post-expansion period (which is something that I would really be into) the show has historical kayfabe value.

And as noted, it's heavily edited and it'll have a few shitty matches. At that point, why exclude it other than seeming like the company is trying to hide something or to deflect blame or guilt?

OK, the Over the Edge 1999 discussion is something I think is worth discussing. However, if you want to continue discussing it, create a new thread. Right now, it feels like we are going around in circles and I'd hate to see another thread locked because of one small part of the entire network. 

• Like 1

Never understood why the they didn't give an option to pre order the network. They got so much hype (including mainstream hype) when they first announced I'm sure there's some people that would have bought it then that won't be buying it when it releases. I'm sure they have a good reason, and I'm sure the hype will pick up soon but I think they may have lost a few potential buyers.

• Like 1

I don't REALLY get what people are excited about save for slightly better VQ on some things, some of the new documentaries/programming, and obviously the monthly PPVs moving forward (and yes, those things in and of themselves are enough to get excited about). However, when it comes to the older stuff, 80% of this stuff is probably available streaming right now without having to really jump through any hoops or doing anything particular illicit. It was one thing when anything under the sun might have been on the network or even some no brainers for following the weekly storylines that are a hassle to find like Superstars and Challenge or WCW SN but that's really not the case. 

It's cool and vaguely convenient but it's hardly anything to drool over. 

I can't wait for this shit, I've watched a lot of WWE PPVs over the years, but other than 98-00 I have plenty of gaps.  I've seen a few WCW PPVs, but most of the WCW PPVs will be 100% new to me.  If you would have told me when I was 15 that I'd have unlimited access to this much wrestling I may have passed out.  This shit is going to consume way too much of my life.

• Like 1

I don't REALLY get what people are excited about save for slightly better VQ on some things, some of the new documentaries/programming, and obviously the monthly PPVs moving forward (and yes, those things in and of themselves are enough to get excited about). However, when it comes to the older stuff, 80% of this stuff is probably available streaming right now without having to really jump through any hoops or doing anything particular illicit. It was one thing when anything under the sun might have been on the network or even some no brainers for following the weekly storylines that are a hassle to find like Superstars and Challenge or WCW SN but that's really not the case. 

It's cool and vaguely convenient but it's hardly anything to drool over.

I like doing things legally k thx

• Like 1

Yeah, if they are delivering 720p on all of these then that's a huge upgrade. Also, while you can find a lot of these shows on YouTube, most are taken down by the time you get to watch it or are in very low quality or take a while to load, etc..   This is a much cleaner way of going about it with far less hassle and much better picture quality. To me it's a no-brainer but if you are someone who already owns a lot of the shows I can see why it'd be a little less awesome.

One thing more..  I am thrilled to have every live PPV for less than ten bucks a month but there are also things like the NXT live PPV that have me hyped. If they continue to do little things like that... I mean there's so much potential here.

That's why I'm excited.

I think you're really underestimating the "slightly better VQ" part.

VQ just isn't a huge deal for me with wrestling. A lot of times it detracts when you start seeing too much of the strings. Then again, it's been something like four years since I've even watched wrestling on a TV screen. 

It's not offensive to me, I didn't lose anyone. There is, however, a certain family in Canada that would find you to be a rather deplorable character.

They're on the payroll, relax.

Dude, the show is what it is, maybe some people want to see what happens when you have people working after such an event, maybe it can be a learning experience and set a standard on what to do on these cases.

Do you think that every film and book that covers nazi camps or 9/11 are tasteless? Why would Owen's family even care, it's not like the WWE is making money out of Owen's death: a documentary would be more like it; they are just putting the show there and saying "dude, ya know what happen, if you want to see tha tapes, you can, if you don't, go watch some Chris Benoit or Tennesse wrestling or ECW."

I think more people would be offended by Russo's WCW booking than by OTE'99

We've moved all the "Let's laugh at Antacular" discussion to another thread, buddy.

• Like 1