DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network pontificating

Fat Spanish Waiter

I don't mind OTE being televised, I just don't see what they're gonna edit out. Nothing was shown, it happened during the video promo piece, when they came back the camera stayed locked on the announcers. The only thing they can edit out is the announcers telling you what happened.

This to me is In the same league with being a Nascar fan. As George Carlin said, "The only reason people go to these things is how often to you get to see guys die in fiery auto crashes and not be in them. Driving a car 200 mph in a circle does not impress me. "

Yeah, Clashes were WCW's equivelant to SNME so I don't get not including them. I was always way more of a WWF fan so I was hoping to go back and watch the Clashes in chronological order - the only ones I remember seeing were the Steamboat-Flair one and one where they did a tag tourney but the partners were drawn at random. I'll still be in on the Network from day one but this news does disappoint me.

Do we know if they're going to be putting up the SNME's? I'm sure they'll eventually start putting up the Clashes.

Are they going to open up signups early, or are we all going to end up trying to sign up at the same time and fuck everything up? I want it ready so I can switch over after Raw since you know they'll do something awesome like having Undertaker or The Hulkster out and make you switch to the network to see it.

If the Countdown clock is correct, then I think you can start signing up Monday morning, and that the official launch won't take place until after RAW.

If someone watches OTE, regardless of editing, they are a terrible, terrible human being.

"I only watched it because I'm a collector, a completist!"

No, you're a schmuck on wheels with an internet connection.

Is it really so horribly offensive to you? "Terrible, terrible human being"? If someone chooses to watch an edited version of a PPV where a tragic event happened, but is not shown, is that really an evil thing? I mean it seems pretty tame. I didn't see it at the time, I've never seen anything from OTE'99 since, I've no interest in watching it now either, but I can't say that somebody might watch it offends me.

It wouldn't be the internet unless someone was getting morally righteous about other people's behaviors that don't effect them one bit.

• Like 1

You know, about a year ago I actually watched the Jim Ross announcement of his death and parts of the tribute show. It wasn't out of a sense of wanting to corpse rob or revel over it. It was just thinking about a very sad thing and just wanting to revisit the circumstances because it's been a very long time and at 32 I have a different perspective of it and the industry than I did then. Shit, I think I watched the Eddy tribute videos and like the Randy Savage tribute at the same time. Just getting all the sad.

My point is, there are perfectly valid reasons to watch the show that don't involve the person wanking it to a dude's death. It's an important historical event, it changed things for a lot of people. I'm NOT going to watch it, nor do I watch Chris Benoit matches, but I'm not going to accuse guy's of being shady for doing so.  

And also, if the show had 3 five star matches, then would it be okay for them to put it up? Because if you think that then we're getting into subjective analysis. I mean, the show does blow but what if it didn't?

• Like 2

Watching the tribute show versus watching the actual event where the death occurred are two completely different things. It's an important historical event for all the wrong reasons.

My point about the match quality of the show was that people claiming they want to watch it for reasons other than Owen's death are full of shit.

I don't think you know what the word "inexcusible" means. If you can't understand why it's completely tasteless and disgusting for a company to re-air an event the had a death occur right smack dab in the middle of it, when there would be zero consequences were they to not partake in said action, then you're probably not one to be lecturing about moral or ethical issues.

i've been watching all the Raws/Nitros/PPVs/etc from the attitude era. been doing it for about 18 months, watching them in real time. i have all intentions of watching Over the Edge '99 when the time comes. i didn't see it live, and i debated it in my head, but i decided to watch it regardless.

then again, i have no problem watching Benoit matches, so factor that in however you want.

• Like 1

I don't think you know what the word "inexcusible" means. If you can't understand why it's completely tasteless and disgusting for a company to re-air an event the had a death occur right smack dab in the middle of it, when there would be zero consequences were they to not partake in said action, then you're probably not one to be lecturing about moral or ethical issues.

Yeah, I wouldn't claim your posts are inexcusable, they are just silly. I mean I guess it's nice that you care so passionately about something, but maybe consider directing that righteous fury at something worth getting mad about. Like poverty or starvation or female genital mutilation. Rather than the WWE Network letting you watch most of Over The Edge '99. Worth considering at least, I hope.

• Like 1

Clearly you haven't bothered to venture outside of the wrestling forum, otherwise you'd be well aware of what I'm "passionate" about (besides calling out invalids).

But thank God that SOMEONE around here has managed to take up the cause of lecturing about moral or ethical issues.

It's either that or trying to explain 11th grade statistics to you again.

The big point with Over the Edge '99 is that it's a case where just having it on there, but not saying anything about it, takes out some of the power behind it that would occur if you kept it off. The fact is- having Over the Edge 1999 on the Network, and not putting out any real fanfare about it (which WWE didn't do until people called them out on it enough so they had to say that it will be edited- and even that has people say "if it's edited, fair enough- we can see why they would") is better for it, simply because if WWE Network DIDN'T put it up, after saying EVERY PPV, more wrestling fans would say "You promised us EVERY Pay-Per-View, uncut, unedited! Where's Over the Edge 1999? LIARS! You promised us all of it!"...and then, Over the Edge 1999 keeps its power and has MORE people try to find it.