DVDVR Message Board

I never get why Austin considers The Ringmaster to be such a terrible gimmick.  Sure, he probably would have rather used the Austin name from the get-go, but Dibiase managed guys at that time period were considered potential upper echelon heels.  Its not like he was brought in to be Freddie Joe Floyd.

I never get why Austin considers The Ringmaster to be such a terrible gimmick.  Sure, he probably would have rather used the Austin name from the get-go, but Dibiase managed guys at that time period were considered potential upper echelon heels.  Its not like he was brought in to be Freddie Joe Floyd.

I dunno if I'd say that. Here was his crew in the run prior to the Ringmaster:

IRS

Bam Bam Bigelow

Nikolai Volkoff

Kama

King Kong Bundy

Sycho Sid

1-2-3 Kid

Tatanka

Bigelow and Sid I'll give you, but Bundy and Volkoff's best days were long past, Rotunda wasn't much younger, and was established enough that we pretty well knew the upper card was beyond him, and I refuse to believe that 1995 Vince saw Sean Waltman as a future upper-carder.

I think it's just the stuff he had been doing in ECW was heavy on promos and angles. Then he's brought in with a mouthpiece to be a cold, emotionless wrestling machine. It didn't play to the strengths that had gotten him noticed.

I think it's just the stuff he had been doing in ECW was heavy on promos and angles. Then he's brought in with a mouthpiece to be a cold, emotionless wrestling machine. It didn't play to the strengths that had gotten him noticed.

This is true.  However, if you check out his introduction on the Brother Love show, he delivers a pretty fun heel promo wherein he implores viewers at home to touch his hand through the tv screen to feel "what its like to be destined for success". 

Although, Ringmaster's overuse of the word "man" was a little much, man.  Not sure how to imbed the Youtube for those interested, but the WWE uploaded it, man.

• Like 1

"The Ringmaster" wasn't even really a gimmick.  It was just a new nickname.  He was "The Ringmaster" Steve Austin.  It's not like he had to wear a top hat and cut promos into a megaphone.

It would be fun to hear Vince curse

What is something that no one working backstage in WWE ever says before going to work?

I can't wait for Austin to apologize for not doing business with Lesnar and saying he should have had the conversation with Vince face-to-face instead of over the phone.

If only they had Go To Meeting back then.

• Like 1

Sort of, I vividly remember him changing persona into being more emotionless and calculating and the commentators constantly saying how "stone cold he is" on Superstars prior to the Savio Vega fued.

Along those lines I also remember NOD Kama start wearing a bowler hat when he accompanied D'Lo and the commentators constantly saying how he looks like "the godfather", whateverthefuck that was supposed to mean

Great interview with Bray. This is the most out-of-character he's been. He really talks about how he developed the character, the music, etc.

I loved how he talked about when he briefly wrestled under a mask for the short-lived Axl Mulligan. He said that freed him, because he had to really express himself differently than he had before, which let him experiment a lot more.

The Bray interview was very, very good.  It's interesting how WWE's seemingly fine with him going out of character.  But then again, it seems like there's a lot of parallels between who he really is and the character.  It seems like the perfect fit for him to get into.  Loved hearing that while he's influenced by Spivey and others, he went really far in researching all the ways to make this work.  I really hope he achieves greater success, because he very much will go above and beyond to get there.

And I had to hear that Naylor shoutout twice to make sure I heard that right.  That's very cool.  I'm looking forward to the Vince interview.

My favourite part of the interview was that he put over the idea of a new generation 2.0 big time and you could hear the competitiveness and almost resentment in his voice concerning the established top two of Cena and Orton. Extrapolating from this it would appear that when Cesaro spoke out recently about those two he was echoing sentiment felt amongst this group of younger guys wanting to reach the top.

• Like 1