DVDVR Message Board

I kinda like the fact that even Daniel Bryan doesn't understand lucha psychology. 

Does anybody really understand lucha psychology?  I've watched wrestling from all over the world, and despite liking some lucha, I really have no idea what is going on 95% of the time.  Every match just seems like both guys are trying to sprint to get all of their moves in.

I kinda like the fact that even Daniel Bryan doesn't understand lucha psychology. 

Does anybody really understand lucha psychology?  I've watched wrestling from all over the world, and despite liking some lucha, I really have no idea what is going on 95% of the time.  Every match just seems like both guys are trying to sprint to get all of their moves in.

I know some respected posters who are really into their Lucha (I'm not) and swear by an existing psychology that you need to understand to appreciate. I just don't understand it either. Not taking anything away from their style though, Westernised lucha wih Rey, Juventud Guerrera and the crew have provided some damn fine matches. 

Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand

and_then_theres_this_asshole.jpg

Looks like I've hooked another carelord.

Not at all my good man.  I just wanted to get an answer since I don't have time to go back and listen to it again...plus, this just needed to be said.  Not for nothing, but you are one of my favorite posters around these parts, but every response doesn't have to be a troll.

Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand

Not at all my good man.  I just wanted to get an answer since I don't have time to go back and listen to it again...plus, this just needed to be said.  Not for nothing, but you are one of my favorite posters around these parts, but every response doesn't have to be a troll.

Here on Earth, Tim Flannery

• Like 2

Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand

I was hunting BigFresh, you've got caught in my dragnet!

• Like 1

Both guys are trying to win the match.  Sometimes they want to do this through skill and within the framework of the rules.  Other times, they don't care for each other much and would like to hurt their opponent in route to victory.

That's pretty much it.

• Like 2

Daniel Bryan does note the obvious about people being able to watch tons of old stuff for free via YouTube. As opposed to the good ol days when people had to socially interact with others to get this stuff... or join FTPs or something slightly less efficient

----

after listening to Bryan listing his non-wrestling interests... along with his talk of traveling with Brie Bella.. i'm expecting he has paired couple photos with him in a sweater next to Brie.

Both guys are trying to win the match.  Sometimes they want to do this through skill and within the framework of the rules.  Other times, they don't care for each other much and would like to hurt their opponent in route to victory.

That's pretty much it.

I feel like I haven't had too much trouble with it on the 80s set save for in some of the really chaotic trios or when there are cuts. It helps to understand things like why title matches are wrestled so cleanly (athletic commissions) and of course to understand the trappings. Psychology comes down to "why is a wrestler doing the move that he's doing when he's doing it?" basically. If you can work that out in any match, you're in good shape in understanding it. Whether or not you think he's correct in doing what he's doing is a big part of whether or not you're going to enjoy a match or think it's good (which is one reason why wrestling appreciation is totally subjective). I just try to get into the head of Satanico. Then I low blow my closest co-worker.

DB must have been working the Old Dominion during the interview or planning to soon.  He mentioned both Fairfax, VA and Charlottesville, VA in the interview

C'Ville! He said the name of my hometown. Cheap pop from me.

• Like 1

I think the Brian Knobbs interview was way better than the Daniel Bryan interview.  Knobbs is like that guy who always keeps in touch with everyone, and even though he is a giant pain in the ass he is still friends with everyone he ever met....except Ken Shamrock.

I thought the Knobbs one started out pretty boring and then picked up.  The audio quality was horrible (which Austin explained), but the talk got really good. The Hennig-pooing-in-an-air-freshener bit was fantastically disgusting.  I do find it funny that most "ribs" are just some guy shitting on something. 

One thing that interested me about the Knobbs ep was that Austin actually initiated a conversation about Hogan.  It's been mentioned in this thread that the only guy he's even remotely badmouthed on the show is Johnny Ace in one off-hand comment.  But you'll notice that every time someone brings up Hogan, Austin just gets kind of quiet and moves along to the next topic.  Always thought that was a "if you don't have anything nice to say..." situation.  So it was kind of interesting to hear him bring up Hulkamania.

It was also funny that Knobbs was clearly gassed and breathing all heavy at the end of the interview.

• Like 1