DVDVR Message Board

I'm guessing it's more a case of him and a lot of the other guys from his era mellowing out because they're older, more financially secure and just don't give a fuck about petty shit that happened 15 years ago

Although plenty of people from the 80's still shit on Hogan even though Hogan made a lot of people from that era a lot of money, or at least more money than they probably would have made without Hogan.

I do think that there is a lot of merit to what you say, but I think it helps that Austin seems to be a pretty likable guy.

I find a lot of guys who worked with Hogan in the 80's think a lot of him. Only thing I hear is he changed in the 90's and was more insecure. 

Just got around to listening to the full Ric Flair interview. That was some pure wrestling joy. So many great stories. The highlight for me being Harley Race walking upto Jumbo backstage and slapping the shit out of him in front of Baba. I remember a few years back there was talk of an HBO hour drama set in the world of 1970's pro wrestling. If that ever happens there HAS to be a character loosely based on Harley Race.

• Like 1

Just got around to listening to the full Ric Flair interview. That was some pure wrestling joy. So many great stories. The highlight for me being Harley Race walking upto Jumbo backstage and slapping the shit out of him in front of Baba. I remember a few years back there was talk of an HBO hour drama set in the world of 1970's pro wrestling. If that ever happens there HAS to be a character loosely based on Harley Race.

The stories would be even greater if you weren't aware that some of them were probably complete bullshit.  I loved the Flair interview, but once he starts talking about being at events that history has proven he wasn't at, you have to wonder what else are complete fabrications too.

And I just finished the Pritchard interviews.  What's the deal with him saying Hawk came up with the Doink gimmick?  Hawk was long gone by the time Matt Borne came in.  Hawk went AWOL after SummerSlam 92, Matt Borne was brought in for dark matches a month after, and the Doink angle started in October.

• Like 2

The stories would be even greater if you weren't aware that some of them were probably complete bullshit.  I loved the Flair interview, but once he starts talking about being at events that history has proven he wasn't at, you have to wonder what else are complete fabrications too.

And I just finished the Pritchard interviews.  What's the deal with him saying Hawk came up with the Doink gimmick?  Hawk was long gone by the time Matt Borne came in.  Hawk went AWOL after SummerSlam 92, Matt Borne was brought in for dark matches a month after, and the Doink angle started in October.

What has Flair stated he was at which was proven otherwise?

RE the gimmick creation, on screen timelines mean next to nothing. Hawk could have handed in a detailed Blue Print, with schematics, essays, prototype Hasbro's as early as 1991 for all you know. If somebody as senior as Pritchard is saying it, there is no eason to doubt him. 

As an example, on the new Foley DVD it shows sketches for the character dated 1995, Foley getting measured for a mask back in 1995, but he didn't debut on television 'till the next year. On screen appearances mean nothing as more goes on behind closed doors than we will ever know. 

Except the story as Pritchard tells it is that they were sitting backstage, Hawk saw Borne sitting in the corner with a cigarette in his mouth and Hawk pointed at him saying "Krusty The Clown!". So according to him, the idea was born (no pun intended) when Hawk actually saw Borne backstage. Unless he was there visiting or something.

See above post. Foley was knocking around the WWF in 1995...

For all we know, the Beverley Brothers are this very minute working out in the gym at Titan Towers. Borne worked for the company for years. It's not unrealistic to think he was backstage at some point in the few months timespan on screen exits and debuts were made. 

For all we know, the Beverley Brothers are this very minute working out in the gym at Titan Towers. Borne worked for the company for years. It's not unrealistic to think he was backstage at some point in the few months timespan on screen exits and debuts were made. 

Except Matt Borne was still Big Josh in WCW as late as August 1992.  He didn't come into the WWF until after Hawk was gone.  I don't think Pritchard made the story up, but I do think he might be confused with the actual talent involved. 

Flair said he was in the locker room in Puerto Rico when Bruiser Brody was murdered which was an absolute lie. It's been proven he was in a WarGames match in Greensboro that night.

• Like 1

Flair said he was in the locker room in Puerto Rico when Bruiser Brody was murdered which was an absolute lie. It's been proven he was in a WarGames match in Greensboro that night.

He could've told them to keep the jet running at the airport

He could've told them to keep the jet running at the airport

Flair hadn't wrestled in Puerto Rico since Sept. or Oct. of 86. He was not scheduled at all for those cards.

Flair said nothing in his book about being in the locker room with Brody so I would look to that as the most accurate reference. If he's said that since then I'd chalk it up to either senility or bullshittery. Hey, I think I coined a new term...

Tenryu and Flair in their prime shooting I would pay cold hard cash to see. Flair had the stamina but Tenryu might pull out his eye.

Flair did not seem to think so. He fully admitted Jumbo would fuck him up. He said the NWA office actually sent Harley Race with Flair to make sure Jumbo did not try something. 

With Tenryu, he just had a mentality of Tenryu would have to kick his ass before he would believe it. 

Except Matt Borne was still Big Josh in WCW as late as August 1992.  He didn't come into the WWF until after Hawk was gone.  I don't think Pritchard made the story up, but I do think he might be confused with the actual talent involved. 

Mick Foley was in ECW in 1995. 

I work for a company, it doesn't mean I can't visit another company. It's not unheard of for a wrestler to be backstage at another promotions show / crossing paths a airports / gyms etc. The latter two actually being fairly frequent back in the day. Esp if somebody was about to enter a promotion - do you think people just show up at TV tapings with an outrageous new gimmick?