DVDVR Message Board

Here's a challenge to all the DDP doubters. 

Watch ANY 1997 Nitro, they're all on the Network and then come back and tell me that DDP wasn't one of the most over people on the roster. 

I don't think anyone is doubting that.

It seemed like you were. Which wrestlers were you referring to that were more over that didn't receive a push?

The point was that DDP got opportunities because of who he was aligned with politically and I made sure to mention that he knocked those out of the park. He could have been the most over guy in the company but if he wasn't buddies with Bischoff, Hall and others, he would've been frozen out, pushed aside and diminished.

Look at people who were even established like Ric Flair and Bret Hart and how those guys got shafted because they weren't politically aligned with the right people.

When DDP won BattleBowl in '96, the crowd didn't care about him at all. I quickly looked at the results and he barely loses again for the rest of the year. There were other guys around in '96 like Regal, Benoit, Arn, Eddy, Jericho, who probably could have used such a push.

Fast forwarding, why's DDP the one getting the big crossover mainstream push with Karl Malone instead of Goldberg?

DDP was probably the #2 in the U.S. at one point.  Steve Austin was clearly #1, but before Goldberg got to his peak, DDP was the best babyface in WCW.  I don' know how anyone could claim he didn't deserve his spot.  He really should have got the title at least a year before he did, if anything WCW missed the boat on a guy who could have kept them competitive once Austin won the belt.

Before Goldberg, there was a man in WCW. They called him something.

You might want to go back and listen to the crowds, DDP was more over than Sting.  They didn't change his gimmick, because of how over he was.  That doesn't even take into consideration how little Sting was actually on TV.  Sting got over with the Crow gimmick, but ultimately he was just standing there looking mysterious.  DDP was at least his equal and got there by putting on really good matches every week on TV. 

Nah, Sting's reactions were the loudest pops I've ever heard in WCW and that was pretty consistent even if he wasn't wrestling. DDP was definitely over but I don't know if there was a point he was ever the most over babyface in the company between Sting, Goldberg and even Flair in the Carolinas.

Man watch any of those Page/Savage matches!

The heat was nuclear and ey never stopped making noise. You can't buy that kind of heat!

The "La Parka Incident" lone was one of the most insane pops during the whole NWO run and that was when the crowd mostly cheered the NWO

James

How well did his merchandise sell? What ratings did his quarter-hours pull?

Anyone? How about the buyrates for the PPVs he main evented? "He got huge crowd pops!" isn't something you can quantify. Someone provide some numbers comparing him to other guys in the top spot around the same time.

In all fairness, even though DDP was a three-time champion, his reigns were 15 days, 13 days and 1 day (last reign interrupted by Arquette win).

I think he deserves more than what he got at the time. I still firmly believe he should've been the one to end the streak at Havoc and enter 1999 as the face-champion.

I think he deserves more than what he got at the time. I still firmly believe he should've been the one to end the streak at Havoc and enter 1999 as the face-champion.

Hell, even DDP taking the belt off Goldberg at Havoc 98 and then being plugged into Goldberg's spot (losing to Nash, fucked over by the nWo in the rematch, etc) would've worked out better considering how things went.  (DDP probably would've carried the stupid angle with Elizabeth claiming assault on 1/4 better as well.)

Also, DDP probably wouldn't have tried to punch out a car window with his bare hands.

No one's mentioned the obvious when it comes to Page in the WWE Hall: The Koko B. Ware Line.

Did Page mean more to his-era WCW than Koko B. Ware mattered to his-era WWF? Gawd yeah. So by that, if Koko B. Ware is in the hall, Page should be in the hall.

Ware sets the "should he/she be in the WWE hall?" standard fairly low. In the equasion "If Koko B. Ware is in, then XXXX should be in" a lot of people can easily fill that XXXX spot.

Have WCW merch numbers ever came out?

Based on the famous Jericho anecdote, should any numbers be seen as credible?
HATED that story for years as I always looked at it being something Jericho over exaggerated. Then again, Sullivan recently has claimed that Hogan got 50% of all live show merchandise so maybe there actually was something there to it.

I still firmly believe he should've been the one to end the streak at Havoc and enter 1999 as the face-champion.

In retrospect, this would have been the very best way to end Goldberg's streak without it seeming cheap or forced. People believed that 1) the Diamond Cutter equaled death and that 2) DDP could hit it from anywhere at any time and immediately turn the tide of a match.

DDP getting the win off that Diamond Cutter that popped the roof off the place at Havoc would have been totally accepted by the crowd. 

DDP, by the way, started to really get over as early as '95 in the feud with Badd. He would hit the Diamond Cutter and a lot of people were throwing up the diamond in the crowd. And remember, he decisively lost that feud. 

• Like 1