DVDVR Message Board

In my experience, the majority of wrestlers think they are/were great workers. You don't find many people who are all like "yeah, I sucked" Weirder still, some good workers say it about themselves; Barry Windham, for one inexplicably insecure example. A wrestler's actual skills rarely seem to correspond with their opinion of said skills, whether positive or negative. Abdullah the Butcher is one of the most limited, most selfish, least dynamic workers who's ever been in any ring ever; but listen to any shoot interview with the guy, and he NEVER stops with the "nobody could follow me!" bullshit.

Dunning–Kruger effect

Listening to Kelly Kelly speaking as if she was a great worker makes my stomach hurt.

Listening to it now, she's not THAT arrogant. But she definitely seems to grade herself on the Diva curve. And I winced when she said that Torrie freakin' Wilson was one of her in-ring influences.

Austin seems oddly subdued and glib in this one. He's not hitting her with any tough questions, it's all softballs and obvious stuff.

Listening to Kelly Kelly speaking as if she was a great worker makes my stomach hurt.

Listening to it now, she's not THAT arrogant. But she definitely seems to grade herself on the Diva curve. And I winced when she said that Torrie freakin' Wilson was one of her in-ring influences.

Austin seems oddly subdued and glib in this one. He's not hitting her with any tough questions, it's all softballs and obvious stuff.

Austin was just having flashbacks to this moment:

xnt4l5.jpg

Wasn't Steve at home injured during most of the X-Pac/Tori/Kane stuff? I remember that kicking in high gear after Austin was run down. I could imagine a bored Steve Austin militantly watching RAW and SmackDown.

With a pen and paper taking notes so he didn't miss anything when he posted his reviews online under an alias.

• Like 1

You really think Kelly Kelly has an opinion on things like Stan Hansen and Jushin Liger as a worker?

Going back to the X-Pac/Kane stuff, I went back and watched their No Holds Barred match from No Way Out 2000 and it's actually pretty decent. It's under 10 minutes and worked at a pace that is never dull. It's mostly Kane being a monster and X-Pac finding different ways to hit him with stuff that might knock him down.

Also, for being on meth, his match with AJ Styles is pretty damn good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@RealPaigeWWE:

Holy crrrr. I get to be on @steveaustinBSR podcast next week! Like always I need to stop my ovaries from exploding.

I would love to know what other non sexual events cause Paige's ovaries to explode. If she gets a really good cantaloupe or a parking spot right in front of the building, does her crotch turn into a rainforest?

Ya know I wonder if WWE should partner with DDP. Occasionally send the NXT crew to the DDP Performance Center to get them to do his yoga routine while at the same time spending their days sitting under the learning tree with Jake Roberts and Scott Hall. Of course I think there should be a week at the NXT Center where the NXT crew just sit and watch Piper, Dusty, Roberts promos and angles all day long.

Ya know I wonder if WWE should partner with DDP. Occasionally send the NXT crew to the DDP Performance Center to get them to do his yoga routine while at the same time spending their days sitting under the learning tree with Jake Roberts and Scott Hall. Of course I think there should be a week at the NXT Center where the NXT crew just sit and watch Piper, Dusty, Roberts promos and angles all day long.

One of the things that has become obvious from listening to Steve's podcast (and to an extent, Jericho's), is just how much guys used to learn from hanging with vets while traveling on the road.  They may sort of be doing this already, but I think they need to bring guys like Roberts, Hall, Waltman, Austin, etc... in for a few weeks at a time to just hang out at the performance center, watch people, and offer advice, etc... as something akin to a "visiting professor" or a "veteran in residence".  In addition to the younger guys getting that exposure, it could help the WWE scout people to serve as trainers/agents.

• Like 1

One of the things that has become obvious from listening to Steve's podcast (and to an extent, Jericho's), is just how much guys used to learn from hanging with vets while traveling on the road.  They may sort of be doing this already, but I think they need to bring guys like Roberts, Hall, Waltman, Austin, etc... in for a few weeks at a time to just hang out at the performance center, watch people, and offer advice, etc... as something akin to a "visiting professor" or a "veteran in residence".  In addition to the younger guys getting that exposure, it could help the WWE scout people to serve as trainers/agents.

It's been said a million times, but business is done on the road and at the bar.  Just in the few car trips I was lucky enough to do with vets, just bullshitting about life in general was enough to be a major learning experience, never mind talking about wrestling.  (Back in 2008, I ended up spending about twenty hours total in a car with Adam Pearce, who had just lost the NWA title and become the ROH booker, and THOSE discussions pretty much changed my career.)

Damn, that Jake episode was outstanding.  If ever there was somebody that needed a two-part episode, it's him.  That should be required for every wrestler, especially the younger ones.  Now I'm going to spend some time looking up some killer Jake matches  I got a chuckle out of his not-that-subtle jabs at Ambrose and HHH.