DVDVR Message Board

The craziest thing I got from the Flair interview is Ric's claim that he was never a "cocaine guy." I mean, really?Let's check the tape!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5DIjKEAnXQ

He wasn't grinding his teeth and rubbing his nose. That's just a pot of coffee, " I kill on these segments" Flair. Take it from a former coke guy, I can spot it, and that ain't it.
  • Like 1

Wasn't there a story in Flair's book about being in Puerto Rico or somewhere with Piper and Piper had this Tony Montana-esque plate of blow in front of him?

I've never thought that Flair was coked up during his promos, Flair's crazy promos were different from Hogan's, Savage's, and Piper's who I fully believe had a serving platter of coke off-camera during their 80's WWF promos.

Yeah, Flair got a bunch of money and Piper got a spittoon full of coke. Flair sat there drinking and laughing at him while Piper bitched about being payed in drugs while "shovelling that shit up his nose" in Flair's words.

Now, spittoon full of blow is something to go, "Really?" at. Cause that's a LOT of blow, even by 80s standards , It would have been cheaper to pay Piper cash. That's amiami Vice levels. Not that those promoters didn't have access

Am I missing anything by passing up on his recent non-wrestling interview pods? I also recommend listening to Austin on the Ask Women podcast. Austin is such a cool dude. I feel like you could hang with that guy and learn the secrets of the world over cheap ass beers. It was really sweet learning that he and his wife met 10 years ago because she's a special Ed teacher and wanted Austin to come in and read to her class. He did and the rest is history. Retiring from wrestling was the best choice ever for that guy and as much as I would love to see him have one more run, I wouldn't want him to sabotage where he's at in life. He's definitely my all-time favorite wrestler and he sounds like he's turned into a really good human being.

I wish that they had spent some time putting memphis and the weekly loop and Lawler's role there in better context. I think most fans don't understand it at all.

Uh, past that?

Poor Dolph. Lawler basically went out and said "Dolph Ziggler gave me a heart attack since he's too shitty a wrestler to get over without really dropping elbows on people ten times."

• Like 1

I wish that they had spent some time putting memphis and the weekly loop and Lawler's role there in better context. I think most fans don't understand it at all.

Uh, past that?

Poor Dolph. Lawler basically went out and said "Dolph Ziggler gave me a heart attack since he's too shitty a wrestler to get over without really dropping elbows on people ten times."

Fuck that. If Lawler can't take a few stiff shots without having a heart attack, he has no business being in the ring.

As far as Lawler's Memphis role, could you expand upon what you mean? I feel like you might be addressing my post in the other thread, which was not the thread I intended to post it in anyhow.

Memphis is such a unique animal in wrestling. They touch on it a little bit with the payoffs and less so with the promos but I think 75% of Austin's audience could hear that and think that wrestling 30-40 years ago basically looked like it does now, or maybe like it did in the attitude era. People don't have a great sense of territories and I think spending five minutes explaining the Memphis loop and the Saturday TV and the ratings they got and how they had to build to the MSC show every Monday night with much the same cast of characters (thus all the gimmicks) and Lawler's longevity on top would have been useful in putting things into context. 

Jerry's story of Macho Man leaving doesn't line up right. He says he (Jerry) was given the color commentator position randomly at RAW one night when they turned on Nitro and saw Macho on their show. Obviously that's not how it went down as Randy left long before that, was given a decent on-air send-off by Vince, and he was in WCW long before Nitro debuted.

Memphis is such a unique animal in wrestling. They touch on it a little bit with the payoffs and less so with the promos but I think 75% of Austin's audience could hear that and think that wrestling 30-40 years ago basically looked like it does now, or maybe like it did in the attitude era. People don't have a great sense of territories and I think spending five minutes explaining the Memphis loop and the Saturday TV and the ratings they got and how they had to build to the MSC show every Monday night with much the same cast of characters (thus all the gimmicks) and Lawler's longevity on top would have been useful in putting things into context. 

At some point, though, shouldn't you expect that the audience has listened to past shows?  He spent nearly the entirety of his JR interview talking about this in the context of Bill Watts and the other territories. 

Haven't listened to this one yet, though, so maybe it is a bit off. 

Jerry's story of Macho Man leaving doesn't line up right. He says he (Jerry) was given the color commentator position randomly at RAW one night when they turned on Nitro and saw Macho on their show. Obviously that's not how it went down as Randy left long before that, was given a decent on-air send-off by Vince, and he was in WCW long before Nitro debuted.

Presumably Lawler's version is the official Vince-approved mythology.

Lawler replaced Hennig, basically, after he became active again for Survivor Series 1992. The part that's weird to me is that he spent a huge chunk of 93 announcing Superstars with Macho.