DVDVR Message Board

Razor Ramon was basically a WWFs Tony Montana and Vince had never seen Scarface at the time he started the gimmick

10 years after the movie came out. I remember Hall telling that story of his first meeting and when he started doing the Tony Montana schtick, Vince being in awe (this after McMahon's first idea for Scott's gimmick being a GI Joe character)

If that quote has been attributed to Vince instead of Stephanie, people would shrug and say "Alrighty, then" and assume Vince knew what he was talking about.

I disagree. I would say the majority of the Austin podcast was Vince spewing inane rhetoric and corporate euphemisms to which he doesn't even know what they mean until he sees it (ie: "it" having hair and looks like Roman Reigns) without giving away anything much of substance other than he's so deluded that he feels like he actually is the Cold Stone character because he had a rough first ten or so years of his life. After watching that interview, it was pretty clear to me that he is so far removed from the real/modern world and has repeated this nonsense so often that he actually believes it and therefore everybody else in his company has to obey his make-believe world's rules. Like his answer towards Austin more or less calling him out on over scripting and producing his talent, to which he replied that they're such a bigger entity now that one man cannot overlook everything. Is the one extra hour of actual worthwhile content a week really making the difference there or is it jargon that has been repeated so much so that it makes sense to him, dammit?

• Like 1

Nothing she said is unique to her or about "pretending to be an executive". It's ridiculous shit but it's legitimately the way these people will talk and word answers. I've heard variations of what Stephanie said more times than I can count in my industry. I look at it as the industry's way of speaking carny, if you can understand any of it or think that way you're probably in the industry and if you can't understand it or think it's all nonsensical bullshit you're probably better off.

Yup. Go on LinkedIn and read the Pulse articles and you'll be able to speak like this in no time at all. Not that I'm recommending it.

• Like 1

Vince has a billion dollar company to run. Listening to a disgruntled ex-employee on his buddy's podcast is not something that he SHOULD be rushing to do.

When more people HAVE listened to it than have subscribed to his streaming service and it's about HIS BILLION DOLLAR business, yeah, he should.

• Like 4

I think it's unfair to call Vince out if touch. He's known to be a non stop workaholic and all, but maybe he just doesn't give a shit about some things?

Like what his customers actually want?

Vince has a billion dollar company to run. Listening to a disgruntled ex-employee on his buddy's podcast is not something that he SHOULD be rushing to do.

When more people HAVE listened to it than have subscribed to his streaming service and it's about HIS BILLION DOLLAR business, yeah, he should.

Also, what is this "disgruntled ex-employee" shit, like he's some MBA the who got canned after a few months in marketing. Punk was, at one time, the #1 or #2 source of revenue for the company.

I think it's unfair to call Vince out if touch. He's known to be a non stop workaholic and all, but maybe he just doesn't give a shit about some things?

Like what his customers actually want?

Also, what is this "disgruntled ex-employee" shit, like he's some MBA the who got canned after a few months in marketing. Punk was, at one time, the #1 or #2 source of revenue for the company.

People are really overestimating the amount of free time that Vince would actually have. Vince McMahon does not and should not have enough time to listen to Colt Cabana's podcast. He likely got notes from an intern or someone below him, as he should. People who are busy typically don't have time to sit down and listen to someone that they know personally bitch and moan about the way that they were treated. Vince lived it, he knows what's going on better than any of us and he likely got notes so he knows Punk's side of things. Nothing that Punk said was so groundbreaking or original (to Vince) that he should go out of his way to listen to it. Everything that Punk says, Vince was actually there. 

And the main difference between Vince and Stephanie is results. Vince took his father's company and expanded it nationwide, along the way creating relationships with key players like MTV, USA and NBC. Did he fail sometimes? Yes, the "Black Saturday" and his attempt at being on TBS was a failure by any measure. The WBF and XFL were also failures. Vince's niche is pro wrestling and maybe he doesn't realize that but when he's in his niche, he is damn good at what he does. I realize it's popular to bash Vince, but he IS legitimately one of the best businessmen in the world. I trust that Vince knows what he's doing on the business side of things and I assume that he spends most of his time there these days. Lesser businessmen would have crashed and burned during national expansion or folded under pressure when Turner was encroaching on his territory. 

Stephanie on the other hand? Her stint as head of creative was one of the most creatively dull periods of wrestling history. She has no track record of success. She's likely not incompetent but she's not exceptionally talented either. Since being given power, she hasn't really done ANYTHING remarkable. 

• Like 2

Steph and HHH fantasy book themselves so that only they can get over. In Steph's case, bury everything in her path.

Vince fantasy booked himself to make money.

Difference.

Steph is one of the best heels in the company, come on. She's AWESOME at her on-camera role. Steph and HHH helped make Daniel Bryan. Booking? Not so much. But she's a born performer.

jstout, on 03 Dec 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:jstout, on 03 Dec 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:jstout, on 03 Dec 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

Having WWE wrestlers on a "shoot" podcast on the WWE network would be a disaster. If, as Austin says, everybody in the back is walking on eggshells afraid of pissing off the bosses, are they gonna get on a podcast and say "the office is misusing me, I deserve a better push. So-and-so has all the backstage power, and he's got Hunter's ear, and nothing's gonna change..."? Hell no. I wouldn't wanna see a kayfabe "shoot-style" podcast: "Bray, tell us about your big match at TLC with Dean Ambose..."

And here's how I see "over" and where people stand:

You can look at some guys and say "they could be big if they're handled well." Reigns fits in this category. Has the look and some charisma, but has some deficiencies charisma-wise and ring-wise the WWE needs to work to cover up. It can be done. He's not dead in the water, but not a sure thing.

Ryback was the same way when he was big. Has the look and some charisma, but the WWE booked his streak into that hole where Punk had his own streak they couldn't interrupt, and it cost him. He could've been big if handled well. He wasn't.

Then there are guys who graduate from "could be big" to "it will be very hard for WWE to screw them up at this point." They're so over that they can actually take the hit of some booking fuckups and rebound well. Bryan went from "could be big" to "the only way he's not gonna be big is if the WWE seriously screws the pooch."

The only new person in this state is Ambrose. He went from "he could be somebody" to "he's becoming bulletproof." Rollins could be somebody, but he's lacking the charisma he needs to hit that "bulletproof" status and still needs to be booked smartly. Reigns is still at that same level. So is Wyatt. 

Ambrose is nowhere near bulletproof. He just came off a 6 month feud where he didn't pin his main rival once. You could see the noticeable deflation of the crowd the next night especially when they realized he was being transitioned to Bray. They made Dean look like an idiot by forgetting about Rollins. The fans were chanting for Ambrose the night after hitc, and Seth had to remind them 5 times he was done with Dean(aka Cena needs me to feud with him).

To me Ambrose looked like the biggest star in the company standing on top the cell before the match with Rollins, but they shit the bed on going all the way with his push and went right back to Poochie vs the Authority the next night.

jstout, on 03 Dec 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:jstout, on 03 Dec 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:jstout, on 03 Dec 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

Having WWE wrestlers on a "shoot" podcast on the WWE network would be a disaster. If, as Austin says, everybody in the back is walking on eggshells afraid of pissing off the bosses, are they gonna get on a podcast and say "the office is misusing me, I deserve a better push. So-and-so has all the backstage power, and he's got Hunter's ear, and nothing's gonna change..."? Hell no. I wouldn't wanna see a kayfabe "shoot-style" podcast: "Bray, tell us about your big match at TLC with Dean Ambose..."

And here's how I see "over" and where people stand:

You can look at some guys and say "they could be big if they're handled well." Reigns fits in this category. Has the look and some charisma, but has some deficiencies charisma-wise and ring-wise the WWE needs to work to cover up. It can be done. He's not dead in the water, but not a sure thing.

Ryback was the same way when he was big. Has the look and some charisma, but the WWE booked his streak into that hole where Punk had his own streak they couldn't interrupt, and it cost him. He could've been big if handled well. He wasn't.

Then there are guys who graduate from "could be big" to "it will be very hard for WWE to screw them up at this point." They're so over that they can actually take the hit of some booking fuckups and rebound well. Bryan went from "could be big" to "the only way he's not gonna be big is if the WWE seriously screws the pooch."

The only new person in this state is Ambrose. He went from "he could be somebody" to "he's becoming bulletproof." Rollins could be somebody, but he's lacking the charisma he needs to hit that "bulletproof" status and still needs to be booked smartly. Reigns is still at that same level. So is Wyatt. 

Ambrose is nowhere near bulletproof. He just came off a 6 month feud where he didn't pin his main rival once. You could see the noticeable deflation of the crowd the next night especially when they realized he was being transitioned to Bray. They made Dean look like an idiot by forgetting about Rollins. The fans were chanting for Ambrose the night after hitc, and Seth had to remind them 5 times he was done with Dean(aka Cena needs me to feud with him).

To me Ambrose looked like the biggest star in the company standing on top the cell before the match with Rollins, but they shit the bed on going all the way with his push and went right back to Poochie vs the Authority the next night.

To be fair, they did the same thing to Cena after he won the right to face Lesnar.  Actually, it was after Cena got his win back.  They pushed Cena over to Rollins and forgot about Lesnar.

Yeah Cena got his win back(a visual fall over Lesnar) and a clean pin on Orton. How many ppv matches has Ambrose won as a singles wrestler? Who's the biggest star Ambrose has pinned? He hasn't even beat Orton yet, and he has a losing record against Kane. The guy Cena was feuding with left it's not the same as having your most hated rival on the show every week, and just pretending he no longer exists.

Steph and HHH fantasy book themselves so that only they can get over. In Steph's case, bury everything in her path.

Vince fantasy booked himself to make money.

Difference.

Steph is one of the best heels in the company, come on. She's AWESOME at her on-camera role. Steph and HHH helped make Daniel Bryan. Booking? Not so much. But she's a born performer.

It only took over a decade.

How did she "play off of Jericho"? She stood around and looked pissy while Jericho did all the work.

She showed emotion. I said she played off of him, I didn't give her credit for contributing much. There are a lot of people (even some on the current roster) who wouldn't have been able to sell being as horrified as Steph was. 

I didn't say she was GOOD but she did do a decent job of playing the bitchy spoiled brat who hid behind her husband. Remember the pop when she finally got her comeuppance at WrestleMania 2000?

I didn't say she was GOOD but she did do a decent job of playing the bitchy spoiled brat who hid behind her husband. Remember the pop when she finally got her comeuppance at WrestleMania 2000?

Do you mean WMX8 when HHH finally Pedigreed her?  

Because I was there at WM2K, and nobody gave much of a damn about Rock giving her the Elbow, because HHH had already retained the WWF title.

Do you mean WMX8 when HHH finally Pedigreed her?  

Because I was there at WM2K, and nobody gave much of a damn about Rock giving her the Elbow, because HHH had already retained the WWF title.

Eh brain fart, but yeah. Stephanie got a TON of heat in the early 2000s. People forget that because it was followed by her abysmal GM period. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xt589x_triple-h-and-stephanie-s-wedding-ceremony-full-segment-2-11-2002_sport

Skip ahead to 22:15 and listen to the pop when Triple H finally exposes Stephanie's scheme. You don't get that kind of heat without at least being a competent heel. 

• Like 1

More people listening to one free podcast that word of mouth called controversial than signing up for a streaming service subscription that is 10 dollars a month is hardly a big deal.  Free and hyped for a week is a lot easier to commit to than a monthly service you pay for.  Somehow I'm guessing Vince McMahon isn't concerned about these numbers.  At all.  Nor should he be.  Nor have the numbers probably even crossed his mind.  Nor should they.

Vince competing with Disney seems to be a long standing thing. Shawn and Nash made a joke about it on HBK's first DVD.

At the very least, it's a joke that Vince turned into corporate speak. I do disagree with Vince on that one though, he needs to just realize that he's a pro wrestling promoter and deal with it. 

Yeah, Vince is worried about the ratings and numbers from his real competition...Disney.  They are working on a Frozen gimmick right now for the Bella twins.  Word is Kevin Steen is getting called up to play a retarded snowman.  

Oh man, when Vince says their competition is everything else on TV that is just the worst kind of bullshit.  Motherfucker the producers of Mad Men, Game of Thrones or, fuck it, even the most derivative Big 4 network hackery aren't sweating your fake fighting bullshit.

Yeah, Vince is worried about the ratings and numbers from his real competition...Disney.  They are working on a Frozen gimmick right now for the Bella twins.  Word is Kevin Steen is getting called up to play a retarded snowman.  

Nikki = Elsa, Brie = Anna, D-Bryan = Kristoff, Owens = Olaf, Babyface Kane = Sven.

Yup I'm down with this idea.