DVDVR Message Board

I find this whole "Triple H hates Punk" thing a bit interesting and weird at the same time. Triple H is clearly more open to guys who work Punk's style than Vince would have been. This is the same man that signed Fergal, KENTA and who oversees the brand that gives heavy pushes to Adrian Neville and Sami Zayn. 

I can see where Punk may have rubbed Triple H the wrong way personally but I don't see HHH holding a grudge long term. 

According to Punk, Hunter "never liked him" and would look at him sideways and shit. Who knows. I don't think it has anything to do with Punk's background or indy work or style. It probably comes down to this is the way Hunter does business and this is what Punk does and personalities clash.

Vince looked like he wanted to cry when Austin brought up CM Punk.

I might be way off base here, but I believe Vince is actually sad that Punk is gone. I think he likes the guy.

By all accounts, VInce is a man that LOVES confrontations. It's probably a an absolute minimum to gain his respect. From Punk's podcast, I actually think his biggest mistake was that he started to back down on stuff thinking that Vince's "I'll owe you one" meant a shit. If he faught tooth and nail for things like he used to or like Austin did, and just gave flat-out nos to stuff instead of doing them and throwing hissy fits to Cabana on the phone, he would have probably gotten more of what he wanted. Cena seems like more of a guy who just says no, I really dont care about anybody else's opinion on the matter (i.e the Nexus 7 on 7 finish).

But unlike maybe in Austin's time, the lines of communication are way different. When Vince was around more, more guys could show their real personality to him and he could push them accordingly. In today's WWE, you go thru Hunter and Steph, and they probably aren't the same type of people Vince was, always looking for the next megastar, looking for a guy eager to fight for his spot and scream his way into it.That's not me trying to shit on HHH and Steph, Hunter clearly has an eye for talent and I don't think he's quite as bias as some claim. But does he have that Vince kinda promoter's mind of, "how am I gonna take this guy, and make him larger than life"?

When you hear Punk talk about his run pre-MITB in other interview, he doesn't get an open line to Vince. He talks to Michael Hayes alot, Hunter alot and Heyman alot. Probably after MITB, Vince was like "hey, kid, holy shit, you're about to make me a whole lot of money, here's my personal line, call me any time". But how many guys get that? Punk, Cena, Orton, Brock, maybe Batista? The reason that Vince doesn't think Cesaro has enough charisma is the fact he probably doesn't interract with Cesaro beyond hi and bye. The problem with the WWE is the same problem as the music business right now. True consistent constant artist development is no longer done. You're either a star or you not, and very few are just born with that. Alot of guys can develop it when put in the right position, but it's 1 in billion to just wake up with it.

• Like 1

Like someone mentioned before, just broadcasting WWE guys taping their podcasts would be a cheap way for WWE to produce original programming for The Network. Cut a deal with Podcast One and make it happen. 

They did a run of 30 Years of Wrestlemania podcasts on Podcast One  with Rene Young as host that I thought were pretty good.

Reigns is fine! He hasn't had any singles classics but he hasn't been in anything that objectionably bad. His interviews aren't anything great but there have been far worse. People hate just to hate.

So he hasn't had any singles classics, his interviews aren't anything great, but somehow that's enough to get a super push? I thought you had to reach for the brass ring before you got the push? Apparently 99% of reaching for the brass ring is having a good look.

I don't think Reigns is actively bad, but how many people here would be going to bat for him if he had been brought in as a single? He would've been Rocky Maivia V2.0

We all know that Reigns' biggest problem is that there was no good workers on the heels side that he could get carried by and learn from. At least heels they were willing to book him against.

Kane is a reliable worker and is familiar to the WWE universe, I guess. But ain't no one getting excited for Kane matches these days. No can anyone remember the last not-boring singles match Kane was in.

And Orton might be the most limited main event heel ever because he doesn't changes up shit, has a very small wheelhouse and has chemistry with like 2 people on the current roster. And those two people (Cena and Ziggles) spend most of the arch bumping their ass off for Orton. It's a bad match up for Reigns.

Now if he had gone against people like Barrett or Cesaro, he would've been forced to fight back and improved or just get his ass kicked.

Steve couldn't find the 1996 Royal Rumble on the Network. Haha.

So Steve taped this intro/Ted Fowler interview before the Vince interview. It almost sounded like he taped it after. He uses the same phrases and buzzwords, not just what he said, but what Vince said. I'm thinking all the questions had to be run by Vince first, but it almost made the Vince interview come off more scripted.

Things not getting past Steph and HHH is probably there way of saying to Vince that their either made something happen that was good, or stopped something that was bad, meaning, they are trying establish they know good versus bad ideas. Although, they MIGHT be missing some things (Daniel Bryan).

I'm getting a lot of parallels to how WCW was when Hogan was there. People are unhappy and don't know what's going on.

Austin saying the guys are walking around on egg shells was so surreal to see said to Vince.

Austin really getting to ask HHH questions like Vince, but with less filter would be very interesting to hear. However, I think HHH is molding into that corporate roll to much and even though he clearly worked to get where he is, I wouldn't say he forgot what it was like, but maybe because of being associated with the cliq he had it easier than a guy like Cesaro, or maybe Punk?

When HHH was on Jericho's show it was refreshing to hear him tell stories about being a new guy, but it would be cool to see Austin dig a bit deeper.

As said in here, an Austin "PODCAST" on the WWE network would be awesome. Since all the docs they show (and hearing Vince and Austin use real terms) break Kayfabe, these interviews might be another way to get guys over. I can't imagine it would cost anywhere near as much as trying to get guys over on weekly TV.

The best way for me to follow the Punk situation is to hear the Colt podcast, the Vince interview, and Meltzer's reactions on it.  To say the least it's very fascinating to follow.

Regarding Vince liking confrontation, Alex Greenfield was on JR's podcast recently.  He had the opposite experience where he confronted Vince quite a lot and got damn near nothing out of it.  I don't know if the approach is different between writers and talent, but it sounded like in Alex's case it didn't work at all.

Stone Cold was great in only going so far in his questions.  He has a great way of making somebody sweat a little bit, but also wanting to ensure Vince was comfortable having this type of conversation on the network.  If he went much further no way would Vince want another 15 minutes.  Steve is very underrated in his interviewing style and it's one of the better podcasts to listen to.

Should we maybe make a thread for the Punk and Vince interviews?  Colt's podcast thread was taken over before, and same for this thread.  This way we could just discuss the actual podcasts.

As said in here, an Austin "PODCAST" on the WWE network would be awesome. Since all the docs they show (and hearing Vince and Austin use real terms) break Kayfabe, these interviews might be another way to get guys over. I can't imagine it would cost anywhere near as much as trying to get guys over on weekly TV.

They really should do a 30 minute profile/sit down interview with each wrestler weekly.  WWE's usually pretty good at doing bio vids (like the recent Uso one) and it'd go a long way in give a wrestler a little more depth personality wise.

• Like 1

As far as Reigns not having good vet heels to learn from Del Rio got a really good match out of him, and I think Roman could've learned a lot in a Del Rio feud. Rollins got a good match out of Roman, but he's probably not a guy Reigns would learn from. I think Goldust is the best option they have, and guys like Big Show and Sheamus would be good as well.

I don't know why Reigns doesn't just use the powerbomb since The Shield was so strongly associated with him doing it...unless he's unable to lift guys without the assistance of two other people or something.

Like people aren't making enough comparisons between him and Kevin Nash.