DVDVR Message Board

Never knew there was a no-blood policy in place at the time of the Bret-Austin match.

He never really mentioned Cesaro in the same breath as the brass ring thing, but says Cesaro is missing "it." True. But the WWE really has to help him find "it," whatever "it" is. He isn't loaded with charisma. Find a way to give him a character that makes the most of the charisma he has. Cesaro's "failing" is more the WWE's fault and less his,

Loved Vince's total repulsion to the idea of "the universe" providing any kind of feedback whatsoever. How hard would it be to set up an email address and then ignore the emails that come in? 

I wanna say that the WWF pretty much had no blood aside from once a year from mid-80s to 1997 (aside from WM8 where Bret bladed "accidentally", then Flair intentionally gigged himself there too).

There's a philosophical Q to be asked about listening to an overall crowd, or risking listening to individual POVs from that crowd.

Another favorite part of mine was finding out that Vince thinks Shane McMahon, who works for a company called CHINA Broadband, was doing a lot of work in Japan.

Meltzer lost it on his recap show when this was talked about.

I'm sure Vince has a lot on his mind day to day, and not sleeping probably keeps things pretty scrambled in his brain, but that's pretty funny he doesn't know where his son is...

Another favorite part of mine was finding out that Vince thinks Shane McMahon, who works for a company called CHINA Broadband, was doing a lot of work in Japan.

Shane is doing a lot of work outside of that venture. He could be in Japan right now for all we know.

Shane is doing a lot of work outside of that venture. He could be in Japan right now for all we know.

Damnit, WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON????

• Like 3

I think people are being too hard on Vince's comments about Ceasaro. Like what is the guy's character? They've given him several modes to use and he didn't make any of them work.

Even someone as stale as Sheamus has a character he plays well: all smiles and Brogue kicks until he is in there with someone who won't take his shit lying down. He gives intense facial expressions when gets pushed to his limits; his primal yell means he's not giving up yet; and everyone once in a while he is the fucking man as the hossiest hoss in years. No one milks a 10 count better tbh.

Or if you want a different example: where was DB going as just a guy who puts on matches like Cesaro? I know the internet loves to pretend DB is untouchable, but he didn't catch on with crowds until they sent him to SD to work on his damn character.

• Like 1

All this "brass ring" and "it factor" talk is so disingenuous.  Wrestling is fake.  Vince could get over anybody he wants to get over.  Christ, look at Goldberg.  He had a decent look, small but negligible charisma and next to no talent.  WCW booked him like a star and he got over. 

I have no idea how Vince determines what "it" is or when exactly a talent has truly "grabbed the brass ring" and I doubt he does, either.  It's just his corporate speak he uses to justify pushing or burying whatever guy his insane whims decided to push/bury today.

Do you mean to tell me that Orton and Cena are the only guys who "grabbed the brass ring" or had "it" in the past 15 years?  :rolleyes:

Vince says WWE is Americana and he's right.  We like to pretend it's a meritocracy and anybody can grab the brass ring if they try hard enough (DURRR BOOTSTRAPS~!) while ignoring all the machinations in the background that work against all but a few.

• Like 5

Vince says WWE is Americana and he's right.  We like to pretend it's a meritocracy and anybody can grab the brass ring if they try hard enough (DURRR BOOTSTRAPS~!) while ignoring all the machinations in the background that work against all but a few.

Please stay on topic.

• Like 1

All this "brass ring" and "it factor" talk is so disingenuous.  Wrestling is fake.  Vince could get over anybody he wants to get over.  Christ, look at Goldberg.  He had a decent look, small but negligible charisma and next to no talent.  WCW booked him like a star and he got over. 

I have no idea how Vince determines what "it" is or when exactly a talent has truly "grabbed the brass ring" and I doubt he does, either.  It's just his corporate speak he uses to justify pushing or burying whatever guy his insane whims decided to push/bury today.

Do you mean to tell me that Orton and Cena are the only guys who "grabbed the brass ring" or had "it" in the past 15 years?  :rolleyes:

Check my post about rock stars and being larger than life characters.  That is what Vince wants.  Do you just go to the ring and wrestle or do you become this larger than life character in the eyes of the audience.  

Do you mean to tell me that Orton and Cena are the only guys who "grabbed the brass ring" or had "it" in the past 15 years? :rolleyes:

Dunno about Orton, but fucking do I wish I could post that gif made a little bit ago if that kid clapping and crying for Cena. That is what makes someone a star.

I like how people seem to forget Vince has made a dollar or two with his ideas of pro wrestling just because their favorite is stuck in limbo.

• Like 1

I think people are being too hard on Vince's comments about Ceasaro. Like what is the guy's character? They've given him several modes to use and he didn't make any of them work.

It worked at the beginning of this year. Then they took the swing away from him, used him as a cog to build up other feuds (though not as bad as Axel a few years ago) and cooled him off, even when they let Bray keep the singing. The WON reported that they cooled him off because they felt they could only push one guy (Reigns) at a time and that they wanted to have Cesaro waiting in the wings for later or in case something happened. By the time that something DID happen, Cesaro was so cooled off that Ambrose was the natural person to push. He was on the rise while Cesaro was on the decline.

You can believe that rumor or not, but I think your statement is pretty disingenuous considering what's actually happened. 

• Like 4

So who's fault is it that Cesaro couldn't show any personality on camera? They put an awkward and busty broad with him, told him to speak every language he knows, something about rugby and yodeling. He speaks German (I think idk) why isn't he threatening people in it? Why isn't laughing at people in Swiss? If anything, Cesaro has a lot of tools at his disponsal to use.

I am not a fan of the guy, but at least Cody Rhodes tries to get his gimmick over.. And hell, Barrett has a terrible gimmick but his conviction and shit got it over. He seems so happy to kick people in the face and laugh at them. 'Hey you got cancer? Sucks for you.'

I am not a fan of the guy, but at least Cody Rhodes tries to get his gimmick over.. And hell, Barrett has a terrible gimmick but his conviction and shit got it over. He seems so happy to kick people in the face and laugh at them. 'Hey you got cancer? Sucks for you.'

I know it's evil, but I'm picturing one of the Make-A-Wish kids meeting John Cena and out comes Bad News Barrett to tell the kid he's got some Bad News for him, but first kicks Cena in the head.

• Like 3

Yeah, Vince's comments about JR struck me as hinting out a bit more than just losing control of an interview. Makes you wonder if Vince thinks or knows that JR may have been doing a bit of day drinking himself. JR has gone on record denying this and seems a bit defensive about it. Going to be interesting to see how Ross responds. 

Another note about Vince and the mid-card is that Vince historically only pays attentions to the main eventers and the main angles. And it's been pointed out that he's not doing day-to-day running anymore. I think that a lot of times he doesn't see "it" in guys until they actually catch fire, which is the work of the performers, the agents and the writing team. 

The stuff with Cesaro isn't as bad as it seems because I think we saw with Ziggler that a guy can go from seemingly being given up on to being built back up to a upper-spot position.

Another note I think is that Vince probably has a different definition of making it than we do. Fans are like "main event world champion having great matches" and Vince is like "draws 5 million viewers in a segment and sell millions of dollars in merchandise and sells out arenas from coast-to-coast."

By that standard, it's basically only Cena. 

All that said, Vince does come off a bit disillusioned with his talent as far as being mega-stars, but he's not really involved in the day-to-day machinations of that. Best case is guys start catching fire up and down the card, but right now everyone is cold.