DVDVR Message Board

The idea of Austin & HHH as the two man power trip, putting aside their differences in the name of holding the gold and fending off the young up-and-comers and protecting their spots could have been good. It wouldn't be a bad bit to rehash with Cena/Orton.

Ambrose/Reigns vs. Cena/Orton? I'm down.

WCW going down days before Wrestlemania kinda threw a wrench into things too.

Shane owning WCW didn't really make sense in any non-Vince egotrip fashion. In fact, having Vince buying WCW moments before putting the WWF on the line v. Shane, losing the WWF v. Shane and then Vince winning over WCW wrestlers to take out the WWF.. that could have been a bit better than what happened.

And the pro-Vince/anti-Vince thing could have been an internal WCW storyline if they ever got a WCW show on USA.

As for Austin's heel turn. They could have made it a bit subtle at the event, and then kept going deeper. Like Vince would have come out and helped Austin in some way where there'd be reasonable doubt. Then on the next RAW, have the turn completed. Instead of trying to turn Austin in the Astrodome.

Man...the Two Man Power Trip being Austin's idea was surprising, especially when Austin acknowledges that part of the problem with him turning heel was that there were no top babyfaces. To this day I think that the Austin heel turn would have been fine if HHH came out and attacked Austin. The crowd popped big for HHH coming out and then...he joins up with Stone Cold? Shit, it would have been the easiest booking ever for HHH to say that gold belongs to him and he doesn't need help to take it, referencing how he beat Austin at No Way Out. Jesus, between that, and the screwiness of Austin wanting to insert Mick into the title match at Summerslam, it really did seem like Austin was always protecting himself from HHH. 

So is that why Rock's sharpshooter is so bad?  His legs are just too damn big?

Also, was Austin's timeline correct? He made it sound like Rock only started doing it in the lead-up to Mania so they could do that spot.

well, Rock did the sharpshooter for Survivor Series 98, so he may have done it occasionally in-between then and WM17

2001 heel Austin was pretty awesome with the gold knee braces and "The Bionic Redneck" nickname being used for the first time.  It kind of bums me out when Austin downplays the character on his podcast.  That said, the gimmick did take some strange turns during the Invasion with the constant burials of the WCW/ECW guys in those in-ring promos.

2001 heel Austin was pretty awesome with the gold knee braces and "The Bionic Redneck" nickname being used for the first time.  It kind of bums me out when Austin downplays the character on his podcast.  That said, the gimmick did take some strange turns during the Invasion with the constant burials of the WCW/ECW guys in those in-ring promos.

Yeah well it was more about Vince having to wave his dick around. Though the couple of times when ECW guys stood up to Austin (RVD and Tazz) the arena went nuts. If they weren't so intent on destroying DDP, DDP being tired of Austin's shit and hitting him with a Diamond Cutter probably would have been one of the most awesome things ever.

• Like 1

Here's a question I came away with from that podcast, and really it goes to any of the several wrestlers on the board:

How difficult is it to set up a blind feed like the ones Austin is referring to. Is it something that takes a maximum amount of skill level or a maximum knowledge of working with the other guy, or both? Because I imagine it's more difficult than those two made it look.

From a neophyte standpoint, I assume it is the wrestling version of "throw the football to the spot where the receiver is going".

the call-in shows can be kinda tedious. But we also get a caller pondering why there aren't more black heavyweight champions which is an interesting forum for that topic

The caller from two weeks ago that was a country singer/songwriter really got the show to go into charming territory when Austin started talking music.

I'm liking the call-in shows immensely.

this week!

People mentioning specific events Austin barely remembers

Farting at the gym

Steve Austin's childhood TV preferences

39 year old project managers seeking advice to become pro wrestlers, or a referee, or a manager, or just pitching an idea to the WWE

Serious talk about concussions

14 year olds who watch Memphis on YouTube