DVDVR Message Board

I think WWE franchise players are like former presidents. Even if they disagree on things, they respect each other.

Warrior is the George W. Bush of WWE franchise players. Everyone mouths the platitudes about respecting him, but really they hear about him painting pictures of himself in the bathtub and shake their heads.

• Like 3

I think WWE franchise players are like former presidents. Even if they disagree on things, they respect each other.

If we don't get an X-Presidents-type cartoon on the Network from this, I'll be disappointed and will have no one to blame but you for making me think of it.

Man, I could listen to Regal talk about the WoS-era for hours and hours. Such great stories.

Now that I have listened to Regal and Cena, where should I go next? Piper? Lawler? Big Show?

Kerry King?

I'd actually really like to hear Piper out of character. Any chance that's what we get?

If we don't get an X-Presidents-type cartoon on the Network from this, I'll be disappointed and will have no one to blame but you for making me think of it.

I would also accept "Super Best Friends".

Man, I could listen to Regal talk about the WoS-era for hours and hours. Such great stories.

Now that I have listened to Regal and Cena, where should I go next? Piper? Lawler? Big Show?

Kerry King?

I'd actually really like to hear Piper out of character. Any chance that's what we get?

Little Egypt discussing GLOW

I want a rehash of the Pro-Stars cartoon with wrestlers. Pro-Stars was a crime fighting team of Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson and Wayne Gretzky who was the wacky sidekick. I'd love if they redid that with Cena, Undertaker and someone like Dean Ambrose as the nutty but loveable sidekick.

• Like 1

I want a rehash of the Pro-Stars cartoon with wrestlers. Pro-Stars was a crime fighting team of Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson and Wayne Gretzky who was the wacky sidekick. I'd love if they redid that with Cena, Undertaker and someone like Dean Ambrose as the nutty but loveable sidekick.

Bless you, sir. I was trying to think of what that cartoon was called the other day. Yeah, that would rule. Or Hogan, Austin and Cena fighting wacky villains together...

• Like 1

Wow.  Did we just get the greatest Rick Rude quote ever?  Yes we god damn did.  

Watch it, or the Ravishing One will come back for the grave to avenge the name of our God. (with a joint, perhaps)

Maybe on Unleashed but not the family friendly show. The Ravishing One will show up with some Sherrie's Berries!

James

Wow.  Did we just get the greatest Rick Rude quote ever?  Yes we god damn did.  

Watch it, or the Ravishing One will come back for the grave to avenge the name of our God. (with a joint, perhaps)

Maybe on Unleashed but not the family friendly show. The Ravishing One will show up with some Sherrie's Berries!

James

"DAMN IT STEVE!  You don't rise from your grave and show up empty handed."

ARRIVE ALIVE

the bottle story from the LA Freeways was a tremendous story.

Also, I cracked up laughing when I saw that the dude who clipped stuff from the Podcasts and put it on YouTube got DMCAed by PodcastOne. Nuh-uh asshole, can't clip out the Dollar Shave Club ads

Finished the Dusty Rhodes one this morning. That true grit promo Austin played at the end just kicked my ass with awesomeness.

My favorite moment from Dream:

"Everyone in the business is better than I am.

No, I don't mean that. I just said it."

It doesn't translate to paper well. You gotta hear it in his voice.

Listening to these podcasts reminds me of when of that joyful feeling when I first discovered wrestling memoirs in the mid-00s and read a bunch of them over the next few years. I don't think I have read any for about 5 years now, aside from Foley's 4th book, which I have been working on for over a year because it's just not that interesting (or maybe I am tired of Foley). Hearing the stories makes me want to revisit some of the better books.

the bottle story from the LA Freeways was a tremendous story.

Also, I cracked up laughing when I saw that the dude who clipped stuff from the Podcasts and put it on YouTube got DMCAed by PodcastOne. Nuh-uh asshole, can't clip out the Dollar Shave Club ads

That was actually the billion dollar shaving companies trying to hold the resistance down

I didn't expect Piper vol 2 to be as emotional as it was. I was hoping for Piper to get out of character, and after warming up in vol 1, he really drops the persona. The story about he and Kerry on the window ledge being saved by a bunch of guys (Bossman, Perfect, and someone else) who are all dead now except him was a heartbreaker.

Didn't expect him and Austin to get depressed about what shitty fathers they've been. And of course, the last segment was about cancer.

Really good stuff, all of it.

_______

I also listened to the Lawler eps, and I really enjoyed the insights about the Kaufman feud, especially Jerry saying he hit Jim Carrey on "Letterman" much harder than he hit Kaufman on the Letterman show because he was legit pissed at Carrey. And also his asking Milos Foreman, "Has this guy [Carrey] even read the script? Doesn't he know that Andy and I were actually good friends?"

I had never heard about the creation of Kamala gimmick - anyone has an image of the Frazetta painting he's talking about? Jerry makes him sound like a big sweet simpleton. "Mr. Lawler, why do you paint a banana on my stomach every night?"

I was a late bloomer as far as listening to this podcast, and as a result I have been obsessively catching up on old ones.  I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to music while driving or at the gym because of this.  Anyway, forgive me if I repeat a topic that has been touched on already because man, 50 pages is a lot to go through.  Anyway, two things.......

--I have never liked Brian Knobs.  Never.  Always thought he was insanely obnoxious.  So why do I suddenly find him to be a likable sort of guy after listening to him talk for an hour?  It was actually pretty amusing how his speech patterns basically sound like he's an overgrown kid talking.  An out of shape kid though, because several times he seemed to get winded just by talking fast. 

--I don't like Kevin Nash and these interviews did nothing to change that.  But instead of dwelling on that, I'll focus on the sad yet funny fact that when he discussed showing up at TV wearing a backwards bandana "like Tupac", he thought everyone else was odd for not "getting it."   Because in his eyes, he was totally street for doing so.

The story of Vader and Austin in a bar was tremendous.   The idea of drinking in a hotel bar alone and seeing Vader in his underwear ordering drinks is a hell of a visual  :D

It makes the drunk Leon out froggin' and staring down a police dog story even better if you picture Leon in his underwear during the proceedings.

Was this week the first time Austin's wife has been on the podcast?

No.  She pops up from time to time.  

She plays a great straightman to Austin's goofiness.  I think the last few episode's have been spinning their wheels a bit since he hasn't been able to interview anyone.  Hopefully Austin going to Wrestlemania will net some good interviews.

That's the problem with Austin's show. He's a terrific interviewer and is even good if he has someone to play off of (Ted Fowler is usually good in that role) but when he has to carry it by himself it drags a bit.

That's the problem with Austin's show. He's a terrific interviewer and is even good if he has someone to play off of (Ted Fowler is usually good in that role) but when he has to carry it by himself it drags a bit.

Austin by himself is good when he's either telling "a day in the life of Austin" stories and him ranting about random stuff.  When he's answering wrestling question, it inevitably gets pretty repetitive when he tells the same stories over and over again.  The two shows a weeks hurts a bit too, especially when he hasn't interviewed anyone in a while.