DVDVR Message Board

Johnnie Mae Young, 1923-2014

Pete

Eh, I think back in the olden days, some dads really liked the idea of naming a kid after themselves, even if the kid ended up a girl.

Obama's mom's first name was Stanley for similar reasons.

I (or my grandmother, I guess) actually knew a couple older ladies named "Johnnie" growing up.  The "ie" was the feminine spelling.  Might just have been an old timey Southern thing.

I like the story Jericho told in his first book about the first time he met ol' Johnnie Mae. I know i'm butchering the story but somebody will correct me but, Jericho was working for some indie promotion in  SoCal around 92ish that had a program on an local access channel. Jericho, I believe was visiting his father and found himself in the channels television studio one weekend morning wrestling a then 68 year old Mae Young how if I'm remembering right punched a young Chris in the face and told him to dive outside of the ring onto her standing on the floor.   

I like the story Jericho told in his first book about the first time he met ol' Johnnie Mae. I know i'm butchering the story but somebody will correct me but, Jericho was working for some indie promotion in  SoCal around 92ish that had a program on an local access channel. Jericho, I believe was visiting his father and found himself in the channels television studio one weekend morning wrestling a then 68 year old Mae Young how if I'm remembering right punched a young Chris in the face and told him to dive outside of the ring onto her standing on the floor.   

Can someone elaborate on this? These are the kind of stories that need to be known.

I didn't see it mentioned, but I would assume she died in her sleep. Because (to steal the famous Teddy Roosevelt quote) if death had tried to take her awake, there would have been a fight.

• Like 3