DVDVR Message Board

Johnnie Mae Young, 1923-2014

Pete

Her and Moolah's segments were always so ridiculous, but I kind of enjoyed them when I was younger, and it was always good to see the yearly appearance of them, especially for whatever crazy things might come out of Young's mouth. Never actually knew too much about her, but that is an impressive background she has. Knew it had to come eventually, but still.

RIP

Reading about the Dudley Boyz story, she was even crazier about the type of spot she was willing to do:

invisible.gif

Bubba Dudley addressed how delicately he did the move: "I picked her up very lightly, put her down very gently. After the match was over and we'd gone to the back, she came up to me, grabbed me by the wrist like only Lou Thesz could have done, 'Listen, hotshot, if you're gonna slam me, slam me like one of the boys.' You could imagine the look on my face, seeing this little, blonde lady telling me that. From there, we did the spot where I Superbombed her off the top of the stage, 12 feet from the ground, through two tables. She has since suggested to me on three different occasions that we do the same spot from the top of the steel cage.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2014/01/01/21368766.html

The top of a steel cage? That would have been even nuttier. RIP Mae.

There was a picture of her posted in the photo thread. Looking at it made me realize how gorgeous she really was. Not like "wrestling hot," but like classic Hollywood looks. She might be the first person that was too good looking to be a wrestler.

So, of course she made her name as a heel. In the documentary Lipsticks and Dynamite, she talked about how she did everything she could to get heat on herself. Including, but not limited to: hair pulling, scratching, spitting, punching someone right in the face, yelling, and giving people the bird. It's a great documentary and I think every wrestling fan should watch it. tbh

Her last match was set up by her calling LayCool sluts and bitches. If that ain't the best way to have your last match, then I don't know what is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmgl3QGm1js

• Like 1

Reading about the Dudley Boyz story, she was even crazier about the type of spot she was willing to do:

invisible.gif

Bubba Dudley addressed how delicately he did the move: "I picked her up very lightly, put her down very gently. After the match was over and we'd gone to the back, she came up to me, grabbed me by the wrist like only Lou Thesz could have done, 'Listen, hotshot, if you're gonna slam me, slam me like one of the boys.' You could imagine the look on my face, seeing this little, blonde lady telling me that. From there, we did the spot where I Superbombed her off the top of the stage, 12 feet from the ground, through two tables. She has since suggested to me on three different occasions that we do the same spot from the top of the steel cage.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2014/01/01/21368766.html

The top of a steel cage? That would have been even nuttier. RIP Mae.

Legitimately my favorite story in wrestling history. There is a similar one from her demanding Holly take her head off with a clothesline too.

Like I said, maybe the toughest wrestler ever.

The Bob Holly story

Another really funny story involves an angle that Bob and Crash Holly did with Mae Young and Fabulous Moolah, Bob was concerned about hitting Mae with a clothesline as he didn't want to hurt her but that as he worked a stiff style it could easily happen. Mae told him that if he didn't hit the move as he usually did then she would kick his ass in front of everyone. After the angle he went to check that she was ok only to be told 'That's how you lay a clothesline in, right there' as she left with a smile.

and she probably would have

• Like 4

Looks like someone jumped the gun  - the link in the OP is gone

Mike Mooneyham of The Charleston Post & Courier in South Carolina, who has been reporting updates on Mae Young since she was hospitalized in December, says she has not passed away after incorrectly reporting it earlier. Mooneyham tweeted:

"Mae Young has not passed away. The source who reported her passing received incorrect information. Mae is gravely ill, but still alive."