DVDVR Message Board

WWE Classics On Demand Thread

Phantom Lord

My favorite part of Souled Out was the ring announcer voice over guy. The show was just weird and a lot of those women were hideous. I feel bad for people who either paid for a ticket or bought the PPV. But hat ring announcer voice over guy... just great.

One of my friends who was a grade younger than me snuck a bullhorn into our senior graduation and imitated the Souled Out announcer when a couple of guys we hated went up to get their diploma. The principle would call their name and my friend would yell, "American Male...LOSER" into the bullhorn. He got about three of those out before people started looking for him and he took off without getting caught.

• Like 2

My favorite part of Souled Out was the ring announcer voice over guy. The show was just weird and a lot of those women were hideous. I feel bad for people who either paid for a ticket or bought the PPV. But hat ring announcer voice over guy... just great.

One of my friends who was a grade younger than me snuck a bullhorn into our senior graduation and imitated the Souled Out announcer when a couple of guys we hated went up to get their diploma. The principle would call their name and my friend would yell, "American Male...LOSER" into the bullhorn. He got about three of those out before people started looking for him and he took off without getting caught.

If that's the best thing to come out of that PPV, I consider it redeemed. Hilarious.

I didn't watch any of the Souled Out's when they first aired so this is my first time watching and they feel more like a bad Clash of the Champions as opposed to a legit pay-per-view. But yeah, that announcer guy was tremendous.

Meltzer said in the newsletter the WWE network is gonna cost $14.95 to get. That's as much as HBO or Showtime, that's way too high for me. No Way!

Eh, it's double the price of CoD, but you get a shitload more content...delivered in a far less convenient manner, and get most PPVs. Not too bad a deal.

I don't know if I quite buy the "more content" idea.  Considering how much of a dud Classics was for them, I have a bad feeling the TV lineup will look nothing like it.  We're more likely to get constant re-airings of RAW, Smackdown, The Chaperone, Knucklehead, and older WWE DVD docs than stuff from the 80s and 90s.

Meltzer said in the newsletter the WWE network is gonna cost $14.95 to get. That's as much as HBO or Showtime, that's way too high for me. No Way!

Eh, it's double the price of CoD, but you get a shitload more content...delivered in a far less convenient manner, and get most PPVs. Not too bad a deal.

Hopefully, they'll do a free preview for a month so they can give a general idea of the network content.

I can't see how WWE could possibly turn their network into something like the NFL, MLB, NHL, or NBA networks. I don't know how they could do a Sportscenter-esque program every day that takes up most of the programming day which is what the NBA and NHL networks do, and WWE paid for the video libraries they own and it would be incredibly stupid and wasteful not to air the shit out of what they paid for. I don't expect them to run 24 hours of old wrestling a day mind you but I don't think they'll turn it into what the league networks are.

re: price

On my cable system Classics On-Demand is nearly $10 so I would gladly shell out $5 more for the network.

New Shows added to On Demand:

Money in the Bank 7-11-13

Cena vs Mark Henry, Ziggler vs Del Rio

Boston 11-7-87

Randy Savage vs Honky Tonk Man, Ken Patera & Billy Jack Haynes vs Demolition

ECW 11-20-98

Spike Dudley vs Shane Douglas for the title. Jerry Lynn vs Lance Storm

Mid Atlantic 12-1-82

Greg Valentine, Piper, Cowboy Bob Orton, 

Prime Time 12-18-89

Hart Foundation vs Rougeaus

Meltzer now says, they may give away Mania on the network for free if you sign up for it, with price now at $9.95 a month. Getting a ton of sign ups at the launch instead of a cold open. But it's a hugh gamble as many will probably quit the network after Mania airs. The come down on the price makes it a very good deal now. $9.95 instead of $69.95 that strikes me as a hugh gamble. 

Yup, every new video posted today has a message from Mean Gene at the beginning saying the service will be discontinued on Jan. 31st. WWE thanks us for our years of support.

Guess they are going full steam ahead with the network roll out.

I must say I am little disappointed at Will for not including the UWF 1986 Christmas greetings segment in his Mid South set.   ;)   Pure carny gold I must say from Santa Saw to an extremely uncomfortable Gary Young.   

When exactly did Duggan leave Mid South area because he was in the WWF for WM 3 and at least two months before.  Unless they taped a 1985 one and showed it again in 1986 this has to be the right at the end

Meltzer now says, they may give away Mania on the network for free if you sign up for it, with price now at $9.95 a month. Getting a ton of sign ups at the launch instead of a cold open. But it's a hugh gamble as many will probably quit the network after Mania airs. The come down on the price makes it a very good deal now. $9.95 instead of $69.95 that strikes me as a hugh gamble. 

What if it were, say, 9.95 a month but you had to pay 6 months at once? And if it were not a cable channel, but a streaming service via PS3/XBox/Roku/etc. And it also had, oh I don't know, a complete archive of all RAWs/Smackdowns/PPVs/WCW/ECW? Just a hypothetical here.

I must say I am little disappointed at Will for not including the UWF 1986 Christmas greetings segment in his Mid South set.   ;)   Pure carny gold I must say from Santa Saw to an extremely uncomfortable Gary Young.   

When exactly did Duggan leave Mid South area because he was in the WWF for WM 3 and at least two months before.  Unless they taped a 1985 one and showed it again in 1986 this has to be the right at the end

Duggan's first WWF match was February 1987, so I'm pretty sure he was still in the UWF when that aired.  But that segment could have been shot at any time.  And wow, you can tell they were clearly asked to do this with no preparation and no notice.  Poor Gary Young, and poor Terry Taylor needing his unflattering specs to read his lines.

Having not seen Sting-Watts before, I was amazed to see Sting get squashed, and then it only took half a dozen heels to take down Watts.

I watched this match over the weekend. It was quite amusing to see Watts run over Sting and then he gets the five minutes with Eddie Gilbert. Eddie took one taped fist right hand from Bill Watts and sold it like a gun shot (like Scott Hall taking the Stone Cold Stunner). He got split open like a stuck pig and it was awesome. I love how the Oriental Spike from Terry Gordy was literally a death move. Jim Ross damn near had a corinary "BAH GAWD, BILL WATTS HAS BEEN IN THAT SPIKE FOR SEVERAL MINUTES".

It's a shame we can't get stuff like this today. Just imagine the fun of an alliance to end John Cena and that happening.

I also watched part two of the World Class Star Wars. I loved the lay out of the show. They made the world title match between Flair and Kerry seem like it was the most important match ever. That's what I really miss about world title matches. Just the presentation of them like that. Make them seem really important.

Anyway I remember watching the match on a WWE dvd release and some how the video on 24/7 is worse than one that came out a few years ago. In retrospect, having two referees in the ring at the same time doing simultanious counts is really confusing. People should have known what was coming just by the way Michael Hayes was making himself front and center in that match. Still so awesome to watch. The match itself was really secondary to the story it set up.