DVDVR Message Board

WWE Classics On Demand Thread

Phantom Lord

The best part about the woman who kissed the foot was they had her sign a waiver before getting into the ring. Tony Garea making sure things are in legal order and such. He really is Milton from Office Space. He's been around forever and I'm sure they don't even realize he's still there.

Tony is the greatest.

"Tony Garea - his name sounds like a disease."  -  Capt. Lou Albano

- RAF

• 2 weeks later...

Watching UK Fan Favorites and listening to the very rare pairing of Gorilla Monsoon and Jim Ross.  Things get really weird in the Rick Martel vs. Tito Santana match where not only do both announcers go out of their way to not mention that they are former tag team champions, Monsoon mentions how both men have held the tag team championship with a number of partners (without saying each other) and then Ross ups the ante with a bizarre claim that both men are former Intercontinental champions who each defended the belt against the other.

Kind of confused by the beginning of the December 1979 Bob Backlund vs Bobby Duncum title match.  Howard Finkel introduced the man working hard in the back for the WWWF and called him the president of the WWF and then it was a Hisashi Shima. Never heard of him in the history of the promotion. I guess this has to do with their relationship it seems with All Japan?

• 2 weeks later...

There is something bizarrely cool about seeing Vladmir the superfan get his moment in the sun on the 86 MSG show only to discover on the 91 MSG show that he's still there sitting in what might be the exact same seat.

BTW, you can see why Monsoon's "Will you stop?!?!" became such an iconic trait, since during one Heenan tirade on PTW, Monsoon quickly mutters "shut up," and all I could think was "wow, Monsoon is a dick."

Was the Savage/Tito the only time a ref wore khakis in the WWF/E? Danny Davis looks so....odd.I

He's not wearing the bowtie, either.

Danny was always a little different.  I just got a bunch of WWF 1983 TV shows and Danny is reffing in a black sweatsuit in all the TV matches

There is something bizarrely cool about seeing Vladmir the superfan get his moment in the sun on the 86 MSG show only to discover on the 91 MSG show that he's still there sitting in what might be the exact same seat.

BTW, you can see why Monsoon's "Will you stop?!?!" became such an iconic trait, since during one Heenan tirade on PTW, Monsoon quickly mutters "shut up," and all I could think was "wow, Monsoon is a dick."

He's at pretty much every MSG house show and almost always in the same seat/area. If you look hard enough, I think he's at virtually every major northeast show in the 80's and 90's.

A lot of the ECW regulars can be spotted at those mid-late 80's house shows.

I can see them airing the tribute show to him - it is a historic episode. SO THEY'D BETTER NOT CUT INTO IT WITH RANDOM BANTER!

Actually that would be the only time when it would be appropriate since Renee Young is Canadian and can probably offer a lot more than a Matt Striker would.  Personally I don't have an issue with her it was just her and Matt Striker together and that phony sexual tension that was a complete mess

I really can't state enough how much I hate the last 2 minutes of the Dustin/Windham vs Austin/Doc match from HH92. Never seen it before and it was awful. That being said, I love WCW from Flair leaving until Hogan showed up and ruined everything. That period had such a weird mishmash of guys, vets in their last major run, young guys blowing up, superstars securing their place in history.

Heyman getting away with calling Medusa a hooker during that interview segment is fucking astounding.

What was the backstory or build to the NWA title match having multiple refs? RIck Rude looks so incredibly bizarre without his mustache, it's almost alarming.

I'm probably one of a few who wanted to watch Jericho/Guerrero v. The Faces of Fear just because of Meng and the Barbarian.  This was a thing of beauty.  Jericho got murdered for his heat segment.  Meng tossed him backwards and Barbarian fucking caught him, almost dropped him, and powerbombed him to hell.  Barbarian did an awesome superplex where just chucked Jericho.  Everyone worked their asses off and this is a match you must see. 

I'm probably one of a few who wanted to watch Jericho/Guerrero v. The Faces of Fear just because of Meng and the Barbarian. 

Wait, what?  Are you new here?

Well, now that I think about it, the reason why I started at DVDVR was that old Barbarian thread way back in the day.  I guess I just assumed there was still only a minority that liked him :(