DVDVR Message Board

WWE Classics On Demand Thread

Phantom Lord

The main event for Nitro that week was Flair vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. This was one of the Nitro's in Panama City with the pool and if anyone forgot/was unaware, Flair wound up in the pool. Looking at a review of the show, it didn't seem bad on paper but was also pretty tame in terms of the major PPV matches that WCW would throw on Nitro around this time.

Even if Show didn't look like a chump in the match, I still don't think they should have ran the match so quick with no build. Their first match should have been on PPV but if they were hell bent on scoring a big rating, they should have booked it a week in advance.

Does anyone archive shows from Classics on Demand?  I use to record them all on dvd but moved and lost the ability to have Classics on Demand about a year ago and would really like to find someone who has an archive of shows so i could keep up with it.

Mostly enjoyed Nitro, Mid-Atlantic, Worldwide, ECW and some of the special events.

Thanks

Hogan's promo with Brutus on WWF Mania is something else. For one, his arms are really small. Also, the Money Inc. case was filled with 100 POUNDS OF STEEL! I love hearing Vince bury Bartlett and also ponder if Mr. Perfect can TWIRL A BATON perfectly. I somehow doubt that would have helped his gimmick.TNT is certainly interesting with its focus on Adonis. Kudos to him for going all-in on this character, and instead of pussy-footing around it with Goldust and Billy and Chuck, just outright calling the character gay. Granted, it was a character that was about as broad as could be, but it's still pretty daring.

Posted Image

Adonis was not suppose to call himself gay outright. He did that on his own. 

The main event for Nitro that week was Flair vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. This was one of the Nitro's in Panama City with the pool and if anyone forgot/was unaware, Flair wound up in the pool. Looking at a review of the show, it didn't seem bad on paper but was also pretty tame in terms of the major PPV matches that WCW would throw on Nitro around this time. Even if Show didn't look like a chump in the match, I still don't think they should have ran the match so quick with no build. Their first match should have been on PPV but if they were hell bent on scoring a big rating, they should have booked it a week in advance.

One of my Flair fanboy friends ranks Flair taking the bump as the second biggest Flair stupid moment in WCW, ahead of the insane asylum but only behind being buried in the desert and having his watch stolen.

I watched the first half of the MSG show from 84 that's up and it was a fun hour of wrestling.

There's a really good Tito Santana vs. Cowboy Bob Orton match. Thinking about it, it's really a shame Orton never got a run as Intercontinental champion. He would have been so great at running out the clock in time limit draws where he just barely survives.

Iron Sheik vs. Tony Garea was a fun little match. I don't know if it's that Tony was that over or Sheiky baby was hated that much, but the crowd was scorching hot for it. I was thinking how it was sad that he went from World Champion to I think the second match on the card in a matter of months. I'm starting to think that they should have kept the belt on The Sheik. Yeah Hogan should have won it, but he won it way too quickly. Of course there's a good chance if he did hold onto the title, there might have been some legit riots at MSG.

Speaking of Hogan, he took on Greg Valentine really early in the card (probably to beat post show traffic). I loved how Valentine grabbed one of those big bulky MSG steel chairs and cracked Hogan's knee with it and maybe two minutes later, Hogan no sells and does the leg drop (all be it from an awkward reversed position).

There's also a random Bob Backlund vs. Butcher Vachon 3 minute match in the middle of all of that. How much longer was Backlund in the WWF back then? I honestly don't remember him post title loss until he came back in 92.

• Like 1

IIRC the WWF strategy back then was to have the main event of MSG shows before intermission so they could sell tickets to the return match during the intermission. But it's also possible that Hogan was booked on another WWF house show that night.

I watched the first half of the MSG show from 84 that's up and it was a fun hour of wrestling.

There's a really good Tito Santana vs. Cowboy Bob Orton match. Thinking about it, it's really a shame Orton never got a run as Intercontinental champion. He would have been so great at running out the clock in time limit draws where he just barely survives.

Iron Sheik vs. Tony Garea was a fun little match. I don't know if it's that Tony was that over or Sheiky baby was hated that much, but the crowd was scorching hot for it. I was thinking how it was sad that he went from World Champion to I think the second match on the card in a matter of months. I'm starting to think that they should have kept the belt on The Sheik. Yeah Hogan should have won it, but he won it way too quickly. Of course there's a good chance if he did hold onto the title, there might have been some legit riots at MSG.

Speaking of Hogan, he took on Greg Valentine really early in the card (probably to beat post show traffic). I loved how Valentine grabbed one of those big bulky MSG steel chairs and cracked Hogan's knee with it and maybe two minutes later, Hogan no sells and does the leg drop (all be it from an awkward reversed position).

There's also a random Bob Backlund vs. Butcher Vachon 3 minute match in the middle of all of that. How much longer was Backlund in the WWF back then? I honestly don't remember him post title loss until he came back in 92.

Backlund lasted until August of 84.  The match on Classics was Bob's last MSG match until his comeback in 1992.

I just watched the 3/22/99 and they not only had Austin vs. Big Show for the first time ever (with 0 hype) on the go-home show for WrestleMania, Austin pinned Show relatively cleanly (it was a few chair shots and a stunner but the chair shots almost felt normal considering how the match was progressing). That was so much potential money flushed away in a show where the big takeaway was Austin vs. Rock and not really to do with Show.

I remember reading that Vince was surprised at how poorly WCW used Big Show and how Vince just knew he'd use Show so much more effectively. He didn't.

Apparently Austin requested this match and demanded that finish because he saw Show as a threat to his spot.  Even though he was the hottest thing in the business he was still paranoid

I've heard that, but why did Austin let Show kick the shit out of him the entire time?  

One of my Flair fanboy friends ranks Flair taking the bump as the second biggest Flair stupid moment in WCW, ahead of the insane asylum but only behind being buried in the desert and having his watch stolen. 

Well at least it was a cross dressing Ronnie Garvin knocking him in the pool. 

Some random thoughts from this month's Classic On Demand:

-Why is 2 Cold Scorpio v. Dean Malenko in the Unsung Heroes section?  It's not like Scorp is a jobber, he's a former WCW tag champ and former ECW TV going into the match. A early Mikey Whipwreck match would make more sense. 

-WCW Spring Stampede 1999 part 1 - Holy Christ. 

• Sandman and Bam Bam no selling weapons shots and countless table bumps for 10 minutes.  Hak takes the bump off the ladder through a table to the floor and is up in about 6 seconds.  Schiavone babbling about how the trash cans don't hurt that bad because they are aluminum and really just make a lot of noise, while Hak and Bam Bam sell the shit out of trash can shots.  Only one pin attempt, which was the finish.
  • Mikey Whipwreck v. Scotty Riggs was boring as shit.  Schiavone talked about how it was a bonus unadvertised bonus match but the crowd didn't give two shits, even when Mikey about died taking a bump from the apron into the guard rail.
  • Kidman v. Rey Jr - looking back, Kidman looked like a goof in his wifebeater and jorts.  This was sloppy at times and didn't have much psychology. 

I watched the Tommy Dreamer/Tazz ECW World title match that's on ECW Unreleased volume 1. Why did they only have a single camera shot for the match and everything that happened post match even though there were multiple camera's rolling around the ring? I remember when it aired on TNN, Joey Styles said something about not really having to see the Dreamer/Tazz match. I'm fairly certain the post match and match with Justin Credible had multiple shots that aired on tv.

The match it self was all right for as short as it was. God I miss Taz. This was like his last hurrah before it went all downhill for him with injuries and just not giving a shit anymore.

Also watched Savage/Santana which was in unsung heroes. I'm guessing Tito was the unsung hero...which I don't get. Tito was also JAKKED in this match. Even Gorilla Monsoon made note of him being bulked up. I really would have loved to of gone to a Boston Garden show back in the mid 80's. The crowds seem so damn nuclear.

I watched the first half of the Boston show from 87 that is up in Legends.

The opener was The Dingo Warrior vs. Barry Horowitz. It was surreal seeing The Warrior slowly walk to the ring. The freakish body was there, but the cocaine fueled energy wasn't.

There was a Nikolai Volkolf vs. Paul Orndorf match. I completely forgot that Orndorf turned back to a good guy. Lord Alfred Hayes made note of this during the match when he said he went back and forth between being loved and hated by the crowd. Fun little match between the two. At one point, Nikolai put him in the bear hug and Orndorf bended himself so far back that Volkolf almost got a pin out of it. I think Orndorf won with a clothesline of all things.

Ted Dibiase beat Sivi Afi in front of a very pro Dibiase crowd. He won with the Million Dollar Dream into a Russian leg sweep. It was amusing hearing his Lordship keeping saying Virgil was doing the bidding of his master. After the match, Ted got some really hot brunette in a white dress (must have been cold in the garden that night) to kiss his sweaty foot for $300. He cut a promo running down the legends of The Boston Garden, but there was still a vocal part of the crowd rooting for him.

Final match of the first half of the show was Bruno, Jake The Snake, and Tito vs. The Hart Foundation & HTM in an elimination six man. It was a fun match that crowd was hot for. I got a good laugh when Bruno went to start off with Honky and Honky tagged in Bret and Bruno "ahh the hell with you" and he tagged in Tito. Despite Bruno's massive bald spot that he kept trying to comb back up, he looked to be in great shape in what had to be one of if not his last Boston Garden match. He ended up the sole survivor and beat Honky with a boot to the side of the head.

It was a fun hour or so of wrestling.

I hope they keep adding Coliseum Videos to 24/7 - I'm digging World Tour '91, which I haven't seen since maybe '94 when my tape went bad. I have zero recollection of it starting with a Rockers-Orient Express match...with Piper doing an Asian stereotype for Fuji, but do remember Perfect-HBK on it. World Tour '90 would've been a fine choice for the awesome Rockers-Fabulous Reugeaus match, complete with a sweet arena setup and HBK macking on a cute ring girl.

I watched the first half of the Boston show from 87 that is up in Legends.

The opener was The Dingo Warrior vs. Barry Horowitz. It was surreal seeing The Warrior slowly walk to the ring. The freakish body was there, but the cocaine fueled energy wasn't.

There was a Nikolai Volkolf vs. Paul Orndorf match. I completely forgot that Orndorf turned back to a good guy. Lord Alfred Hayes made note of this during the match when he said he went back and forth between being loved and hated by the crowd. Fun little match between the two. At one point, Nikolai put him in the bear hug and Orndorf bended himself so far back that Volkolf almost got a pin out of it. I think Orndorf won with a clothesline of all things.

Ted Dibiase beat Sivi Afi in front of a very pro Dibiase crowd. He won with the Million Dollar Dream into a Russian leg sweep. It was amusing hearing his Lordship keeping saying Virgil was doing the bidding of his master. After the match, Ted got some really hot brunette in a white dress (must have been cold in the garden that night) to kiss his sweaty foot for $300. He cut a promo running down the legends of The Boston Garden, but there was still a vocal part of the crowd rooting for him.

Final match of the first half of the show was Bruno, Jake The Snake, and Tito vs. The Hart Foundation & HTM in an elimination six man. It was a fun match that crowd was hot for. I got a good laugh when Bruno went to start off with Honky and Honky tagged in Bret and Bruno "ahh the hell with you" and he tagged in Tito. Despite Bruno's massive bald spot that he kept trying to comb back up, he looked to be in great shape in what had to be one of if not his last Boston Garden match. He ended up the sole survivor and beat Honky with a boot to the side of the head.

It was a fun hour or so of wrestling.

That's really one of the better random house shows I've seen.  Beta version of the Warrior (selling for Barry Horowitz no less), Orndorff clearly in "I turned face but it hasn't aired yet" mode, and DiBiase with the most obvious plant I've ever seen in the post-match.  You can tell EXACTLY who's getting in the ring way before it happens. 

And I remember that six-man airing on Prime Time.  My 10 year-old little self absolutely freaked out that a match like that would air on television, and I taped it and watched it over and over and over again.  It's not that great of a match though in retrospect.  And I think aside from the Boesch retirement show, that pretty much was Bruno's last match.

The best part about the woman who kissed the foot was they had her sign a waiver before getting into the ring. Tony Garea making sure things are in legal order and such. He really is Milton from Office Space. He's been around forever and I'm sure they don't even realize he's still there.

The best part about the woman who kissed the foot was they had her sign a waiver before getting into the ring. Tony Garea making sure things are in legal order and such. He really is Milton from Office Space. He's been around forever and I'm sure they don't even realize he's still there.

Tony is the greatest.
  • Like 1